Office Workers Strong!

Options
Office work leads to higher periods of inactivity and office work in December means periods of inactivity with lots of treats being brought in for the holiday season.

Let's share our methods of saying no to those treats and trays of momentary deliciousness. I try to stay full of snacks from home (fruit and veggies), drinking water and chewing gum so my mouth is busy. It doesn't always (read:often) work. Some temptations are too hard to pass by. It'd be great to hear how what you all do during Christmas/Holiday time.

Replies

• brandid34
    brandid34 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with the holiday now. Lots of cookies around and pies for thanksgiving. Trying to stay strong. I'm thinking I need to start walking on my lunch break.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    I take at least two walks per day(10am and 3pm) if the weather permits and I try to walk at lunch for 20-30 minutes. So, that adds some calorie burn to my day that I didn't have before.
    I sit at a desk all day and this time of year is especially tempting. Some days I indulge a little and others I just say no and do what you do, stick to the food I brought and fill up on that instead of reaching for the doughnuts, pies, chocolates, etc.
    Family events are even harder b/c I love all the food my family makes. I just try to make sure I'm staying active and burning additional calories when I'm eating the sweet potato casserole :)
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I like to mentally flip off and/or cuss out treats as I pass by.

I think,
    "#€=!×&! YOU chocolate covered cheesecake bites. You can bite ME, cause I'm not going to let you control me! Take a #\££/#!×!?÷! hike! "

I never talk this way in real life, but it works for me to make enemies with food that temps me!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    If I say not at all, I tend to want it more. I limit myself by only having a cookie or smallish treat after drinking a full 16 oz. glass of water. I enjoy my treat but do not go for another because I am full. I also get up and walk across the office to talk to someone instead of using the intercom whenever possible. (It also gets me farther from the kitchen across the hall from my office.)
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »

I think,
    "#€=!×&! YOU chocolate covered cheesecake bites. You can bite ME, cause I'm not going to let you control me! Take a #\££/#!×!?÷! hike! "

I never talk this way in real life, but it works for me to make enemies with food that temps me!

Oh my gosh this is fantastic! Best post so far. (Sorry everyone else). Humour and cuss words. What a way to go.

Keep the ideas and motivation coming!!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Regardless of the time of year or whether at work or a social function I still approach it as learning not to eat food simply because it is available. If I wouldn't be eating that certain item any other time then I don't need it now merely because it is in the vicinity. Sure a treat within moderation is fine and I have them when I want them but not just because they are accessible.

And yes, I like @bri170lb's approach, too! Funny.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if I want something I log it and fit it into my day, if I do not want something then I do not eat it.
  • missmooo85
    missmooo85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I work 10 hours a day in an office, an office full of chocolate, sweets and cake... I've fallen off the wagon so badly even though I go to the gym at least twice a week, usually 4 times, my diet has just gone mad. Any ideas how I can force myself back into it, I was doing so well but now I've put on 4kg (8lb).. *cries*
  • Living360
    Living360 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The people I work with are foodies and always willing to share. It's tough for some of us to "just say no". Today I passed on the donuts but could not resist the pizza. It sounded so much better than the lunch I brought. As I indulged I went for the thin crust, veggie variety that I thought was the lesser of evils. It was good! I logged it and now I have fewer calories for dinner so it will be filled with vegetables too. missmooo85 in my opinion the only thing you can do is start again with the next glass of water, bite of food, or step you take. You CAN do well again!
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Willpower is one of those things that you need to train. Unless I'm highly stressed or got pmt if I can't fit it in my calories then I won't eat it.

My methods are to make sure I plan my meals and that they'll keep me going without snacking. If I am hungry I stick to herbal teas or water. I find knowing I have a really good dinner to go home to stops me sabotaging my efforts with treats. I have a packet of Fisherman's Friends (a kind of sweet that's good for discongesting your nose and throat) that have a very pronounced taste. Nothing would taste remotely nice if you'd just had one of them!

If cake is thrust upon me and I can't fit it into my calories I'll normally decline. Or get in the gym so it does fit into my calories.

I'm lucky to have a stand up desk so I'm a bit more mobile during the day. Weather permitting ill get outside or exercise when I can. I get SAD so I find nourishing food and exercise really helps my mood, which at the moment is more important than my weight loss.

If I gets too much I have been know to just pick the chocolate off a biscuit and throw the rest in the bin...!
  • Gretzmo
    Gretzmo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »

I think,

Ha! I love this! A must try
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if I want something I log it and fit it into my day, if I do not want something then I do not eat it.

Yep
  • AJMB704
    AJMB704 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Regardless of the time of year or whether at work or a social function I still approach it as learning not to eat food simply because it is available. If I wouldn't be eating that certain item any other time then I don't need it now merely because it is in the vicinity. Sure a treat within moderation is fine and I have them when I want them but not just because they are accessible.

I'm with you. I think everyone just needs to set their own "rules" and do their best to stick to them.

I bring a snack to work for the 3 pm sugar craving. Usually an apple and cheese. Today it was some artichoke hearts that I steamed last night (love them). I ignored the treats today.

Also, I have been learning to only eat treats if they're something special, homemade, or completely delicious. Or alternately if they're relatively healthy. Yesterday I forgot to bring a snack and at 3 pm the sugar craving hit. Instead of the toffee I had a cup of the kettle corn popcorn.

I won't eat directly out of the packages either. With the popcorn yesterday, I put it in a bowl and walked away from the treats before I ate anything else.

I have a sit/stand desk which helps a bit, and I try to walk at work if the weather cooperates, but its been super cold and rainy lately so that's a no go.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

And yes, I like @bri170lb's approach, too! Funny.

Totally this. There are treats brought in so often at my job if I said yes to half of them I'd be 500 lbs in no time. If you REALLY want to reach your goals then saying no is really quite easy. Nothing tastes as good as making my goal is going to feel.
  • ShareeEmma
    ShareeEmma Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Im so glad i came across this post, im in need of some serious motivation on day 1 of my 3 day water detox :open_mouth:
    I have a bakery right opposite the office i work at and it has the most delicious caramel slices.
    Today - day 1 of my 3 day water detox i have avoided going by drinking a pint of water each time i think about going across, then when ive had enough of that ill chew gum and alternate. Thankfully the bakery shuts at 4pm
  • fstrickl
    fstrickl Posts: 883 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There is a birthday celebration today after lunch on the floor. I'm trying to stay hydrated to feel full so when the time comes I won't over indulge.

ShareeEmma you can resist the bakery! I'm going to try the cursing method today. Way to go all!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have a no free office food policy. I just don't eat any of it. I treat it as "not mine". Bring all my own food...
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If I want it, I eat it, and my dinner will be very light with a side of heavy exercise. I see no reason to pass on a treat if I want it.