Advice for obese woman new to lifting

Options
I've been struggling the last few weeks with whether or not putting my priorities in working out towards lifting rather than cardio is wise. I am 31, 5'2 and 275 lbs and recently discovered I love weight lifting. Ive never been keen on exercise and for once in my life I actually get excited to go to the gym. However, I am spending only about 2 hours a week doing cardio. I absolutely hate cardio but do recognize that it may be necessary. My question to you all is at my size should I be placing more emphasis on cardio rather than the 4-5 days of lifting I'm doing? I can't help to notice theres never anyone my size (especially female) lifting at my gym and I sort of feel like I should be joining the other bigger girls on the cardio machines.

On another note I just visited my nutritionist and this month I'm down 17 lbs but maybe that's just my diet rather than working on lifting?

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Lift!! It's empowering and it's great for us!!! I would suggest starting with a structured program and go from there. Stronglifts is awesome. There are heaps and heaps of threads on it. Just search for it on the top of the page of the community section :)
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Ps congratulations on your loss so far!!!!!!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Neither cardio or weight lifting is going to make you lose weight by itself. Your diet (as in, eating fewer calories than your total daily energy expenditure) is going to be ultimately responsible for that.

Cardio is going to burn you a few extra calories more than lifting, which will slightly increase your calorie deficit, but strength training will help you maintain the lean muscle mass you have as you lose weight, which will improve the look of your body as well as your measurements more than just eating less than you burn. While cardio is obviously good for your heart, if you don't enjoy it you don't need to do it five days a week as it's not going to burn that much extra unless you are going for a two-hour run every day (most calculators, depending on your weight and pace, estimate 60-100 calories per mile when you run, for example. That means that running 5K is only burning 300 calories or so (less if you're relatively light)...which is enough for, what, 1 donut? 3 tbsps of peanut butter? Better to create your deficit (and control your rate of weight loss) through diet, and use exercise for your health.

If you like strength training, do that. Get some cardio a couple times a week for your heart's sake but don't rely on either of them to help you lose weight, use them to get stronger, fitter, and to make you look better once you've lost the fat on top of the muscle. And I'm saying this as someone who primarily runs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you like strength training, do that. Get some cardio a couple times a week for your heart's sake but don't rely on either of them to help you lose weight, use them to get stronger, fitter, and to make you look better once you've lost the fat on top of the muscle. And I'm saying this as someone who primarily runs.
    @peleroja +1
  • charisseb84
    charisseb84 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Neither cardio or weight lifting is going to make you lose weight by itself. Your diet (as in, eating fewer calories than your total daily energy expenditure) is going to be ultimately responsible for that.

Cardio is going to burn you a few extra calories more than lifting, which will slightly increase your calorie deficit, but strength training will help you maintain the lean muscle mass you have as you lose weight, which will improve the look of your body as well as your measurements more than just eating less than you burn. While cardio is obviously good for your heart, if you don't enjoy it you don't need to do it five days a week as it's not going to burn that much extra unless you are going for a two-hour run every day (most calculators, depending on your weight and pace, estimate 60-100 calories per mile when you run, for example. That means that running 5K is only burning 300 calories or so (less if you're relatively light)...which is enough for, what, 1 donut? 3 tbsps of peanut butter? Better to create your deficit (and control your rate of weight loss) through diet, and use exercise for your health.

Thank you so much for advice! I do think mentally I hate cardio because of the very reason you just stated. I do an hour and what? Lose a few hundred calories. It's just so darn boring and no matter what I try it always feels monotonous. I do however at some point want to be able to run for a long distance but that's really not on my radar right now.
  • charisseb84
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    Ps congratulations on your loss so far!!!!!!

Thank you!
  • charisseb84
    Options
    mrsfitzyv8 wrote: »
    Lift!! It's empowering and it's great for us!!! I would suggest starting with a structured program and go from there. Stronglifts is awesome. There are heaps and heaps of threads on it. Just search for it on the top of the page of the community section :)

I just ordered the New Rules of Lifting for Women based on some MFP peeps recommendations which I'm excited for. Right now I do a program I found on Bodybuilding.com that's been pretty challenging but fun.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @peleroja +1

+1

I'm also a short obese woman and one of the very few female lifters at my gym. I love lifting and would not take kindly to anyone suggesting I do more cardio. Do what is right for you and what you enjoy.

Earlier this year I ate close to maintenence for a few months and lifted as heavy as I could and holy body recomposition! Friends and family thought I lost about 20 pounds but I lost 2-3 pounds and a crap load of inches.

Do what you want and the hell with what anyone thinks.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Why not do both? Cardio is great for actually burning calories AND important for general fitness, so just throw in a couple of sessions a week - I do lifting 4 times a week and do one kettlebell session (combo of lifting and cardio) and one pure HIIT cardio session a week - usually after a chest or back lifting session....
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Lift! If you love it, you will keep doing it. Your bones will be stronger, your posture better, and whether or not you lose weight you will see amazing changes in your body. Also, I found lifting to give me a much better relationship with my body. I focus much more on what I can do and less about what it looks like. Rather than using exercise to make up for eating, I eat to fuel my lifting. I get a lot of cardio as well, but it's just part of my life- running my dog and biking to work. It's so awesome that you love lifting. The accomplishments are so motivating, and you get to feel like a badass. If you can, get some coaching so that you can improve with good form. I'm happy for you!
  • charisseb84
    Options
    mochapygmy wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @peleroja +1

+1

I'm also a short obese woman and one of the very few female lifters at my gym. I love lifting and would not take kindly to anyone suggesting I do more cardio. Do what is right for you and what you enjoy.

Earlier this year I ate close to maintenence for a few months and lifted as heavy as I could and holy body recomposition! Friends and family thought I lost about 20 pounds but I lost 2-3 pounds and a crap load of inches.

Do what you want and the hell with what anyone thinks.

That's freaking awesome! I haven't taken measurements but now that you said that I think I will tonight. I guess it's just habit to watch the scale instead.
  • charisseb84
    Options
    CJMQ wrote: »
    Lift! If you love it, you will keep doing it. Your bones will be stronger, your posture better, and whether or not you lose weight you will see amazing changes in your body. Also, I found lifting to give me a much better relationship with my body. I focus much more on what I can do and less about what it looks like. Rather than using exercise to make up for eating, I eat to fuel my lifting. I get a lot of cardio as well, but it's just part of my life- running my dog and biking to work. It's so awesome that you love lifting. The accomplishments are so motivating, and you get to feel like a badass. If you can, get some coaching so that you can improve with good form. I'm happy for you!

I think that's my fear, that I won't lose the amount of weight I'm aiming for. I'd like to be around 135 some day. My doctor who I'm seeing once a month focuses a lot on the scale and when I told her about the weight lifting she seemed ok with it but immediately asked how much cardio I'm doing.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    All that matters is your deficit. I lost my weight doing lifting and about an hour of cardio a week (only because it helps with my depression). Plus, I ate all my exercise calories which kept me sated and helped improve my lifts.
    Obviously it's great for your cardiovascular health but there is no need for it to be your primary focus if you prefer lifting. Just keep your calories in check.
    You can always add some later if you want to increase your deficit without eating fewer cals.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Don't pay too much attention to whether the doctor says yay or nay. The one thing I have learned is that if you don't do what you like, you will not stick with it. I also am short and still quite large but I love lifting more than anything. I hate cardio. As it states in my profile, quite a few years ago I lost 96 lbs by eating under calories, lifting weights, and also I took up tennis, as that is the only cardio work I enjoy. At this point, getting back into it, I'm doing a 5 min elliptical warmup, then weights, then will do another 20 minutes or so of cardio ONLY because my endurance is very poor and I'd like to get it increased so I can play tennis again this spring.

If anyone decided to tell me to leave the weight area and go to the cardio equipment I think they'd be getting a knee to the groin area!

Do not feel like you don't belong ANYWHERE in the gym. You have every right to enjoy your time there. When you're rocking some sweet muscles and a tight waistline, they'll all be asking for your advice! And let me say that there is probably nothing better for a woman's self-image than lifting weights. There have been studies that prove that self-image for cardio only ladies is not as high as for ladies that lift. You go for it girl!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I find the treadmill deadly boring by the way. I like fun cardio which for me means something like Zumba or running outside. I don't use it for calorie burn either (a twenty minute run for me is like, what, a cookie? That can be inhaled in under a second?). I do it for stimulation, strength, agility. Being able to do stuff.

For super fun running, try something like Zombies Run.

After a year of this I've decided I don't like long runs. My little twitchy muscles like sprints.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I have just started the All Pro lifting programme and really like it, so far.

You don't have to do tonnes of cardio if you don't want to. I am not a runner and like walking for pleasure.
    I use the rowing machine to warm up for lifting as just about all muscles are involved, and it gives me my cardio.
    I am also learning to swim, another muscle/cardio combo, but that is for a personal goal involving fish and the Caribbean.

If you feel you want to get in some cardio Zumba, like @jgnatca mentioned, is a lot of fun, as are aqua fit and belly dancing.
    The typical gym cardio machines are not my cup of tea at all.

Cheers, h.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160947761
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm going to suggest something a little different than the others here, and if this post comes off as offensive i want to apologize beforehand. It is not the intent. ;)

Firstly, you said that " I can't help to notice theres never anyone my size (especially female) lifting at my gym". I believe this is because most people in your weight range are highly inactive and do not stick to diet and exercise. Those that do will not stay that size for very long. This could very well be why.

Secondly, While i don't think you need to focus SOLELY on cardio as you stated, i DO believe it could be dangerous for you to try a lifting program (such as NROLFW) at this stage. Especially if you are currently untrained. I believe that you should wait to start a program like this until you have worked a little longer on your fitness level.

At your current weight you are putting a lot more stress on bones, ligaments, and tendons. You may have a higher risk of injury specifically to the ankles, knees, back, and wrists (hell, maybe even shoulder). This doesn't include any injuries that are not weight related but flexibility related.

I am NOT suggesting that you do not perform "resistance" exercises, but that you focus firstly on body-weight movements. Get used to the form of performing exercises, specifically things like squats, lunges, push ups, planks, and so on BEFORE you start adding weights in. Try and incorporate compound movements which include numerous muscle groups and perform them WITHOUT the assistance of a machine. You want to increase strength, bone density, flexibility, and stabilization. You also want to include some form of cardio for heart health. Something that i think may be effective for you is a HIIT style workout which incorporates all of these.

Ultimately, your weight loss will be coming from your diet. So you shouldn't be killing yourself in the gym or worrying about burning a ton of calories. However, I know how much better I feel when i've been working out, getting stronger, and pushing myself. This will really suck if you start seeing the results and then have some sort of injury. In my opinion, it's not worth it!

Once you've lost some additional weight, can perform the movements safely, have gained some flexibility, etc. THEN i think the new rules of lifting will be a great plan for you. It starts light and then gets heavier progressively. :) I think a slow and steady approach to working out will allow you to try out new things you might like for example, will you actually enjoy lifting and keep it up in the long run? would you prefer swimming? biking? dance classes? It's important to figure these things out NOW because you will not keep it up once you've reached your goal weight if it's not something you genuinely enjoy.

I hope this helps. I myself am a lifter and enjoy working out, but after suffering a sports injury myself (and 2 of my friends one of which gave himself rhabdo) when i first started working out I wish someone had given me the above advice.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    awesome advice here, like usual.
    Keep lifting. 2 hours of cardio is a lot so no worried about that. Might even cut back a little on that.

Most girls stay away from weights because they are under the false impression that cardio is the quickest way to lose weight. Which by now, you know is just part of the weight loss equation (mostly governed by diet).
  • kdalce
    kdalce Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great question. I was also told to weight lift and try to spend less time during cardio because weight lift gives you quicker results and the best results. Alot of women are on treadmills because its safe but are not really knowledgeable of alot of machines and there purposes as far as work out. So keep weight lifting.
  • charisseb84
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I'm going to suggest something a little different than the others here, and if this post comes off as offensive i want to apologize beforehand. It is not the intent. ;)

Firstly, you said that " I can't help to notice theres never anyone my size (especially female) lifting at my gym". I believe this is because most people in your weight range are highly inactive and do not stick to diet and exercise. Those that do will not stay that size for very long. This could very well be why.

Secondly, While i don't think you need to focus SOLELY on cardio as you stated, i DO believe it could be dangerous for you to try a lifting program (such as NROLFW) at this stage. Especially if you are currently untrained. I believe that you should wait to start a program like this until you have worked a little longer on your fitness level.

At your current weight you are putting a lot more stress on bones, ligaments, and tendons. You may have a higher risk of injury specifically to the ankles, knees, back, and wrists (hell, maybe even shoulder). This doesn't include any injuries that are not weight related but flexibility related.

I am NOT suggesting that you do not perform "resistance" exercises, but that you focus firstly on body-weight movements. Get used to the form of performing exercises, specifically things like squats, lunges, push ups, planks, and so on BEFORE you start adding weights in. Try and incorporate compound movements which include numerous muscle groups and perform them WITHOUT the assistance of a machine. You want to increase strength, bone density, flexibility, and stabilization. You also want to include some form of cardio for heart health. Something that i think may be effective for you is a HIIT style workout which incorporates all of these.

Ultimately, your weight loss will be coming from your diet. So you shouldn't be killing yourself in the gym or worrying about burning a ton of calories. However, I know how much better I feel when i've been working out, getting stronger, and pushing myself. This will really suck if you start seeing the results and then have some sort of injury. In my opinion, it's not worth it!

Once you've lost some additional weight, can perform the movements safely, have gained some flexibility, etc. THEN i think the new rules of lifting will be a great plan for you. It starts light and then gets heavier progressively. :) I think a slow and steady approach to working out will allow you to try out new things you might like for example, will you actually enjoy lifting? would you prefer swimming? biking? dance classes? It's important to figure these things out NOW because you will not keep it up once you've reached your goal weight if it's not something you genuinely enjoy.

I hope this helps. I myself am a lifter and enjoy working out, but after suffering a sports injury myself (and 2 of my friends one of which gave himself rhabdo) when i first started working out I wish someone had given me the above advice.

Not offensive at all! I do hear you as far as injury concerns go. Thankfully, my husband has been lifting for 15 or so years and stays with me during the workout to watch my form. I do like to try to push the envelope because it's exciting to see what I'm capable of which is why I think I love lifting. I try to stick with lower weights/higher reps for now to get my form down. I mostly find that my knowledge to perform the exercise is there but my body gets in the way (e.g. deadlifting with a tummy). But, the way I am starting to see it is if this keeps me in the gym than its got to be better than not going.

Also classes and things like Zuma aren't for me...I'm far too shy for that sort of thing. I will keep working on the cardio though. Tonight I just finished my workout which was back&biceps and 30 minutes on treadmill. Tomorrow, I'll be doing squats, step ups, leg presses and things like that. I will heed your advice and be careful because you are right, it would totally stink to get injured.