Beef steak

Options
Which is the lowest/most reasonable calorie but highest protein cut to choose?

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,513 Member
    Options
    Flat iron steaks or top sirloin are pretty dang lean.
  • Keith3481
    Keith3481 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sirloin tips are a good choice too. Ribeye and prime rib are the fattiest.

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/the-leanest-and-fattiest-cuts-of-steak
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Also remember, the leaner the meat, the tougher it gets if you overcook it. :) Shoot for a medium if you want to keep it tender!
  • SaraB_82
    SaraB_82 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Also remember, the leaner the meat, the tougher it gets if you overcook it. :) Shoot for a medium if you want to keep it tender!

Best MFP advice of the day!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options

Rare to medium-rare is even better advice.

• DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

True, but most people are adverse to eating rare/mid-rare for some reason. My dad eats mid-well, and it makes me cry every time.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'd make you tear your hair out: I like my meat cooked.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options

True, but most people are adverse to eating rare/mid-rare for some reason. My dad eats mid-well, and it makes me cry every time.

My husband orders his medium well. What an incredible waste of a beautiful steak (imo). I prefer mine med-rare. So much more tender and juicy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Sk6gp5C.jpg
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love a rare tenderloin. But then again, I also eat beef carpaccio and steak tartare which are both raw. Tenderloin is a very lean cut which is why it is so easily overcooked.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    wrenak wrote: »

My husband orders his medium well. What an incredible waste of a beautiful steak (imo). I prefer mine med-rare. So much more tender and juicy.

My mom gets her's well done. I swear they could give her a piece of charcoal and she wouldn't know the difference. She hates the blood from mine because I get either medium or medium rare depending on the place. I mess with her every time because I am mean like that. Haha!
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    wrenak wrote: »

My mom gets her's well done. I swear they could give her a piece of charcoal and she wouldn't know the difference. She hates the blood from mine because I get either medium or medium rare depending on the place. I mess with her every time because I am mean like that. Haha!

That's funny. I like to say, "Mmmm, bloody!" and he starts looking a little green around the gills.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Do you guys in America have "scotch fillet" steak? I never hear anyone talking about this cut. Or you call it something else?? USDA has nuthin'.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    been a big fan of flat iron steak recently

cheap, tender, flavorful
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Do you guys in America have "scotch fillet" steak? I never hear anyone talking about this cut. Or you call it something else?? USDA has nuthin'.

That's ribeye/rib eye, my favorite :)

Let me know if you find it as a system entry in the database, cuz I think I had a hard time last time.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That's ribeye/rib eye, my favorite :)

Let me know if you find it as a system entry in the database, cuz I think I had a hard time last time.

aah ok thanks. Yeah I get dozens of different calorie /protein /fat counts in the data base. The one I've been using is 540ish calories for a 200g scotch fillet steak. I really have no idea if it's correct or not...

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    bone in rib eye is the best cut of steak there is. so damn good
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    FYI the the red juice IS NOT BLOOD. It is a mixture of water and a protein called myoglobin
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options

I grew up thinking steak had to have sauce, because my dad always scorched our (invariably cheap) steaks to well-done. Then I discovered that actual steak had flavor! In restaurants I tell them to sear/grill mine "unseasoned" and that's how I do it at home too. I have progressed from medium to rare as my preference (though I will tolerate medium rare) and even order my burgers medium.

My steak eating kids love a good red steak too.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Rib eye, YUM!