15 lbs goal (PLEASE READ!!!)

Options
Hey all! I am finally getting back to mfp and determined to lose some weight or hold steady around the holidays instead of gaining. I've struggled with body self esteem for a long time, and my biggest insecuritybis my face/chin/neck area. I am 5'6" and I currently weight 145, which is where I've been the last 3 years since I started birth control. Before that, I weighed 130 lbs and felt more comfortable with how I looked. I am not terribly overweight but I already have a round face and in candid pictures of me I almost always look like I have a fatter face and a double chin. I know the formula: less calories in than out, weight training, and good food. I was wondering if anyone has more advice though, like how to motivate yourself to work out, what kinds of exercises to do now that it's cold and snowy out, and most importantly how to curb cravings. Tha k you so much!

Replies

• blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I just sat down from walking in place while watching tv. I am trying to walk in place for 10 minutes every hour that I am awake. I'm a sahm so for me this is an attainable goal. Plus we go to the gym 3 days a week and/or take walks around the neighborhood. It's little habits that add up. Try adding some little habits to your routine. They end up adding up :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone has more advice though, like how to motivate yourself to work out, what kinds of exercises to do now that it's cold and snowy out, and most importantly how to curb cravings. Tha k you so much!

Reading posts rather than posting is a better way to start than to ask a broad question that has been answered many times already. It's faster and you'll probably get more information faster than to hope someone replies to your post.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Since you have the tools already, CICO the motivation and support forum might have better advice for motivating you.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Find active things that you like to do: gym classes, walking with friends, dancing, etc. Don't be afraid of the cold. Make a plan for food, stick to the plan.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I just sat down from walking in place while watching tv. I am trying to walk in place for 10 minutes every hour that I am awake. I'm a sahm so for me this is an attainable goal. Plus we go to the gym 3 days a week and/or take walks around the neighborhood. It's little habits that add up. Try adding some little habits to your routine. They end up adding up :)

She is totally right here, it really is the little things. Start small, and it makes it easy to build on things. A walk around the block beats sitting on your couch, jogging in place while the microwave goes. LOL that might seem silly, but you have no idea the ridiculous things I do to get my steps in.
  • owen1826
    owen1826 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi, not really to answer your weight loss question, because I'm sure you'll get that, but about your chubby face, it can actually be a sign of beauty to have nice full cheeks. Look at Miranda Kerr. And there are lots more. And when your older it will make you appear more youthful. Love yourself and what makes you different. Good luck.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I am finally getting back to mfp and determined to lose some weight or hold steady around the holidays instead of gaining. I've struggled with body self esteem for a long time, and my biggest insecurity is my face/chin/neck area. I am 5'6" and I currently weight 145, which is where I've been the last 3 years since I started birth control. Before that, I weighed 130 lbs and felt more comfortable with how I looked. I am not terribly overweight but I already have a round face and in candid pictures of me I almost always look like I have a fatter face and a double chin. I know the formula: less calories in than out, weight training, and good food. I was wondering if anyone has more advice though, like how to motivate yourself to work out, what kinds of exercises to do now that it's cold and snowy out, and most importantly how to curb cravings. Thank you so much!

Getting more calories and an exercise high motivates me. The Feels Like temperature today here was 37 degrees - I wore a sleeveless shirt, a long sleeves shirt, and a flannel shirt and was a little cool in the beginning and a little hot as I headed back. My 78 year old mother is a great role model - the only thing that deters her from walking in the winter is ice. She's skinny, and has to bundle up a lot more than I do.

For cravings, eating more protein in relationship to carbs (and sufficient fat and fiber) helps me. I shoot for 40 carbs 30 fat 30 protein. Exercise helps me not emotional eat.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hey all! I am finally getting back to mfp and determined to lose some weight or hold steady around the holidays instead of gaining. I've struggled with body self esteem for a long time, and my biggest insecuritybis my face/chin/neck area. I am 5'6" and I currently weight 145, which is where I've been the last 3 years since I started birth control. Before that, I weighed 130 lbs and felt more comfortable with how I looked. I am not terribly overweight but I already have a round face and in candid pictures of me I almost always look like I have a fatter face and a double chin. I know the formula: less calories in than out, weight training, and good food. I was wondering if anyone has more advice though, like how to motivate yourself to work out, what kinds of exercises to do now that it's cold and snowy out, and most importantly how to curb cravings. Tha k you so much!
    Staying full helps with cravings. Eat lots of fruits and veggies to keep you nice and full. Fruit is wonderful for a sweet tooth, too!

Getting enough sleep is major for me. Not only do I lose more, but when I don't get enough sleep, I crave sugar and carbs.

Drinking water. Might be mental, but I think it helps. Helps me! :)

Good luck!

The way I managed to deal with snow was to move away from places where it falls. I don't know how to motivate when there is snow and cold. I never did. Good luck on that, too.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My wish for you is to find your beautiful. You have a long life ahead of you with new sags and wrinkles along the way, and I would want your future children to have pictures of you so fresh-cheeked and beautiful as you are now, as well as the fine-grained and experienced woman you will be.
    IMG_7777.jpg

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned, try to love your fuller face. Even with a muffin top I have a thin face and a pretty scrawny neck. I admire my 15year old daughter's round cheeks and unlined skin! Keep it in perspective, it helps!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    You seem to know what you need to do already. :wink:

Motivation for me....I have a really hard time doing it alone, like at home by myself. I joined a nearby gym, and love having all the people around me working out. Even if I'm tired, the atmosphere gets me moving. You just have to make yourself get started doing something you think is fun though. Once you start feeling/seeing results the real motivation to continue comes.

For cravings....you have to figure out what types of foods leave you feeling nice and full. Some people like carbs or fat. For me it's protein and fiber, so I eat those heavier. I know I'm a nighttime snacker, so I always leave myself calories for after dinner nibbling.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hey all! I am finally getting back to mfp and determined to lose some weight or hold steady around the holidays instead of gaining. I've struggled with body self esteem for a long time, and my biggest insecurity is my face/chin/neck area. I am 5'6" and I currently weight 145, which is where I've been the last 3 years since I started birth control. Before that, I weighed 130 lbs and felt more comfortable with how I looked. I am not terribly overweight but I already have a round face and in candid pictures of me I almost always look like I have a fatter face and a double chin. I know the formula: less calories in than out, weight training, and good food. I was wondering if anyone has more advice though, like how to motivate yourself to work out, what kinds of exercises to do now that it's cold and snowy out, and most importantly how to curb cravings. Thank you so much!

Getting more calories and an exercise high motivates me. The Feels Like temperature today here was 37 degrees - I wore a sleeveless shirt, a long sleeves shirt, and a flannel shirt and was a little cool in the beginning and a little hot as I headed back. My 78 year old mother is a great role model - the only thing that deters her from walking in the winter is ice. She's skinny, and has to bundle up a lot more than I do.

For cravings, eating more protein in relationship to carbs (and sufficient fat and fiber) helps me. I shoot for 40 carbs 30 fat 30 protein. Exercise helps me not emotional eat.

I was thinking about exercise in the winter some more and decided to embrace winter sports and check out the local ice rink. It's $6, plus $4 for skate rental. I haven't been on skates in 15 years but used to love it. If I still do, I'll buy some skates and skate when I'm snowed out of my walk.
  • ineedtoloseweight1983
    Options
    I am your same weight and my goal is 130. I've used mfp for a long time, but just a few days ago I decided to dig my heals in and actually reach my goal. I am the same, not terribly overweight, but I don't feel good because of how I look. So it's time. I am a stay at home mom with a 2 yr old. My preference for a workout (other than my treadmill) is FITNESS BLENDER workouts on YouTube. I try to do one a day. They are different lengths of time and it totals the calories you've burned.
    Also, I've cleaned up my diet. I've searched a lot of 'clean eating' options on Pinterest.
    After only a few days I feel so much better and I've actually lost a lb!
    Good luck and I am interested in hearing your success!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    My motivation is calorie tracking. I see what I eat, I see the calories come off when I burn. I type in the recipe for my fave cookies and decide to have just one instead of 8(aside from Sunday when I did eat 8). The numbers are a great motivator for me. I was up early and worked out today so I get to head out after work and walk in the sunshine instead of repeating an indoor workout. No matter what the temp, I can always dress warm enough that I am hot before I get home. Get workin and work hard! You got this!!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I try to plan out food and workouts the night before so I know exactly how to start my day. This morn I was planning it out while laying in bed listening to the guardian dog barking to protect the sheep at 5:30am.