Nutritional Therapy

Options
Hi all :)

I'm just wondering if anyone's ever seen a nutritional therapist for weight loss and got any results from it? I saw one on Saturday and at the moment it seems very overwhelming (especially the price of some foods!)

So I'd just like to know what are your experiences on it and was it worth the price?

Thanks!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you're talking about, but your reference to the cost worries me. Eating well does not have to involve special or expensive foods. If it does, the person telling you to eat them stands to profit.

Can you give more detail?
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Not going to lie, the words "Nutrional Therapist" as well as the mention of "overwhelming cost" makes me think this is an absolute load of hooey.

SCAMWOO, if you will.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    That does not sound right.
    If the nutritional person is selling you the food, something is wrong.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Sure! I apologise in advanced for the rambling.

The therapist basically went into every single detail about my eating habits and health (from how I poop to what diseases run in the family). I see where the therapist was coming from because I've been told by my doctor that I have high cholesterol and I was basically lost on how to improve my diet.

Some things that were suggested were far too expensive for my budget of only 20 pounds a week (this laptop doesn't have a pound key!), and although there is a variety of choice of food, it all seems overwhelming. Some of the suggestions for a snack were foods like Nak'd bars, Trek bars and oat cakes, which are not cheap from the health food shops. The food in my house are basic, value priced things.

I was told to cut white carbs altogether, cut down my water intake, and work out about 3 times a week, with 2 cardio days and 1 lifting day. This is different from my 2 cardio days and lifting 3-4 times a week lol

I've recently became vegetarian, but I'll admit that some days I have eaten meat especially when I'm at my boyfriend's place and he makes a minced meat stew. But I am trying my best to cut out meat.
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Why were you told to cut your water intake? How much are you drinking? I don't see anything wrong with seeing a nutritionist,but you can find most things online for free if price is an issue... Or maybe you can see the nutritionist 1-2 times and get as much info as you can.Good luck!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say she's terrible at her job. Nutritionists are, well, not always the best qualified. If she didn't even ask what your budget is then I wouldn't be taking much stock of anything else she says.

£20 is a tight tight budget and you're right, leaves no room for easy grab snacks like Trek bars but they're unnecessary really. If you are new to vegetarianism I think the priority for you is to work out how to meet all your macros and micros. I'm sure there are plenty veggies who can offer help with this. Beyond that, enter your details into MFP and eat to that goal. Your existing workout schedule sounds totally fine to me too, I don't know why she's suggesting you cut it.

I hope you didn't spend a lot of money seeing her!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Oh and no need to cut white carbs or cut down water (unless you are drinking excessive amounts). Sheesh.
  • nerfertiti
    nerfertiti Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you are from the UK. If so, last time I was in Aldi it had a number of products which are similar to naked bars etc. You could get oat cakes there too. But naked bars are just overpriced date bars.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ahh, save your time and money, eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight. MFP is free.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Even though I feel this totally resembles a SCAM, and so much that she/he told you is totally hooey, one thing is really puzzling me...

Did this Nutrional Therapist (this title just screams SCAM to me) say why she/he wanted you to do only 1 lifting day a week? Seems odd to me.

Unless you really want to, there is nothing in the healthy eating rule book that says one has to spend over their budget. I've lost 50lbs and kept it off within a few pounds for years and the only thing I acquire from Health food stores are Fiber Gummies...LOL. Aldi is amazing when it comes to saving money. Learning that protein will always fill you up more than carbs (even though white carbs aren't BAD, that so annoys me). Veggies are your friend when you need to fill up for not so many calories. Hummus (whatever flavor your heart desires, this week mine desired Chipoltle, yum (btw, from Aldi) and Baby Carrots in my opinion is the best snack EVER.

This doesn't have to be hard. It doesn't require a professional (and I say that lightly) or a ton of money. Trust us, we've been there!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    How much water were you drinking? Was it a lot? :grey_question::grey_question:
    If you want to cook inexpensive recipes, consider beans and rice, lentil soup, chic peas.
    Also fresh or frozen fruits and veggies.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options

Have you seen the calories in nked bars and the amount of sugar? I dont rate them at all.

• Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I drink probably about 4 litres of water a day, I just love the stuff. My local Aldi is a bit far away, but I will go there to stock up on good foods and whatnot. But I'll see this nutritionist again just to gain as much info as I can! I'll carry on working out as normal and try to increase my veggie intake. Thanks all!
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure, but I believe cholesterol has nothing to do with whether carbs are white or brown/whole-grain. Some "white" carbs can be really healthy too, like rice for example.

Also for the snack thing - you could make your own granola bars in bulk and for cheap! Then just freeze them and have 1 when needed.
    This is just a quick example I found through google, I'm sure there's even better ones out there:
    http://minimalistbaker.com/healthy-5-ingredient-granola-bars/

If you make a huge batch, I think you can save money.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You'd be much better off (financially, if nothing else!) seeing your GP and getting a referral to a Registered Dietician. Many GP surgeries now offer in-house dieticians as so much of health is linked to diet, but if your surgery doesn't offer this you can get referred to an alternative clinic or hospital.

More info here, including information about their qualifications http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/find-a-registered-dietitian-or-nutritionist.aspx?CategoryID=51&SubCategoryID=168
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I can't for the life of me figure out why this person recommended you exercise less.

Oh wait, yes I can. It's too manipulate your cortisol and glycogen levels so you get scale movement (which will have nothing to do with fat loss), but hey, let's throw your fitness out the window so it looks like my bad advice is working.

Nutritionists receive very little education. This one gave you some very terrible advice.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    From what you have said, I would have no qualms about firing this person immediately, and moving on with a more sensible calorie-deficit and exercise based plan.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your food budget may be unrealistically low - I live in Norway, am single, and spend twice that amount, and I'm really frugal. I eat well, but I meal plan, and buy cheap, watch out for good offers and minimize waste.

If you're worried about money and health, please don't spend any more on quacks and novelty "food" stuff. Read up on more reliable sources, like nutrition advice from the health administration, and use critical thinking to decide what is good for you and what isn't.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the different names mean in the UK (assuming, since you talk about pounds for money), but in the US, a nutritionist doesn't require much training, just a certificate. You would do better with a registered dietician if you need help with knowing what foods to focus on. They have a lot more education in nutrition (at least a Bachelor's). Again, that's for the US.

I agree with the others - a lot of her recommendations seem way off. Focus on eating at a deficit and meeting your macro and micronutrient needs. Keep up with your exercise for fitness. Keep drinking your water (4L a day doesn't sound excessive to me, especially with your workouts). No need for special foods (the bars, for example).
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Here, page 13 has information about "nutritional therapists". I'd draw your attention to

"Is their title protected by law?
    No - anyone can call themselves a Nutritionist, a Nutritional Therapist, a Clinical Nutritionist or a Diet Expert. They are not permitted by law to call themselves dietitians."

https://www.bda.uk.com/publications/dietitian_nutritionist.pdf