Calories for pregnancy!!

Options
Hiya!
What's everyone's recommendations for how many calories to eat during early pregnancy?

Replies

• Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    In the first trimester, you don't actually need any additional calories. Average/healthy weight gain in the first trimester is about 1.1-4.4 lbs depending on your pre-pregnancy weight. But second trimester you need an additional 340 calories, which you can get by adding another serving from each of the 5 food groups :) Third trimester you'll want an addition 450 calories. Make sure you're getting enough carbs (to fuel the fetal brain) as well as protein (increase by about 25g-- about 71g per day). Also, omega 3 fatty acids (walnuts, fish, ground flaxseeds, etc..) are really important for neural development. Just make sure with fish you'r eonly eating one or two servings a week and avoiding fish high in mercury such as tuna, mackerel, etc. Sorry, probably went to in depth for your simple question haha
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This one is up for grabs, actually. There IS no recommended calorie allowance for pregnancy that is agreed upon, nor an agreed upon amount of weight gain, at least not world wide. What you have are doctors who have an agreement now (and this differs by country)...and since I first got pregnant, nearly 20 years ago, I have seen this swing one way (to very few calories) to the other, and now it's back again.

So simply in this lay person's opinion, you're going to want to talk with your doctor, and then do some research and have to trust yourself on this one.

The most reasonable advice I got on this, IMO, was from a midwife. And all she said was to try and eat a variety of foods, look at your vitamin and mineral intake, and as for calories, eat until you don't feel hungry any more, and ALWAYS try to eat when you ARE hungry. Obviously, certain medical issues would change this, but this seemed, to me, the best way to account for the variables like how big your baby is trying to get (a baby who only grows to 6 pounds is going to need less than one who grows to 9 pounds, and you have no way of knowing what the baby is likely to be at, you know?), how fast your metabolism and your baby's metabolism are, or other variables that might affect it.

I think paying attention to our bodies just makes sense, but again, that's just my opinion. But it's one that helped in my case, at least. I was starving all the time, sick all the time, and still gained 60 pounds during pregnancy. I ate constantly. Years later, we found out I'd had celiac disease during the pregnancy, and my body had a much lower ability to absorb nutrients as a result. Because I listened to my body's cues and 'overate' during the pregnancy, though, my body was able to get enough nutrients from those and the baby was fine.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Check with your midwife (or doctor, if you're a high-risk pregnancy).
    First part, you don't need anything extra. Once the fetus is putting on its final weight you will need several hundred
    calories per day extra, but how much (and if / how much you should gain total) depends on your unique situation,
    including how much you weigh when you start.
    I was very overweight (50-ish pounds) when I got pregnant, only gained about 5 - 10 lb the whole pregnancy, and
    the baby was perfectly healthy, over 8 pounds, long cord, I was healthy & my midwife was happy with my health all
    the way through.
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    kellyb28 wrote: »
    In the first trimester, you don't actually need any additional calories. Average/healthy weight gain in the first trimester is about 1.1-4.4 lbs depending on your pre-pregnancy weight. But second trimester you need an additional 340 calories, which you can get by adding another serving from each of the 5 food groups :) Third trimester you'll want an addition 450 calories. Make sure you're getting enough carbs (to fuel the fetal brain) as well as protein (increase by about 25g-- about 71g per day). Also, omega 3 fatty acids (walnuts, fish, ground flaxseeds, etc..) are really important for neural development. Just make sure with fish you'r eonly eating one or two servings a week and avoiding fish high in mercury such as tuna, mackerel, etc. Sorry, probably went to in depth for your simple question haha

In theory, or on average, perhaps. But some women (me!) are STARVING in that first tri. I also get sick if I don't eat in the first 12-14 weeks. I don't think my body would make a mistake, so I went ahead and are extra. I gained about 5-8lbs in the first 12 weeks, and then my appetite leveled off and the weight gain slowed as I got into the second trimester. (I'm currently 25 weeks pregnant and have put on probably a bit over 20lbs.)
    Anyway, there's nothing really wrong with your guidelines here, but it really does seem to be a law of averages.
    OP, eat when you're hungry, incorporate a variety of food groups, and keep an eye on your protein, vitamins/minerals, and folic acid. Also consult your healthcare provider, obviously. Good luck and I wish you a healthy pregnancy.
  • sophhanne1
    sophhanne1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody! I have read that the best idea is just to eat however many calories as you'd eat before the pregnancy to maintain your weight! I was eating 1200 but that was to loose weight so now I have set myfitness pal just to maintain weight and has given me about 1700 a day!
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My first pregnancy I was very careful about what I ate- not a ton of sweets or junky carbs (chips/crackers/snack foods), but I ate as many fruits, veggies, proteins, and whole grains as I wanted. I also got some vigorous (but not insane) exercise most days. I gained ~25-30 lbs and it all came off easily, except last five lbs that stick around while nursing.

My second pregnancy, I felt like crap due to morning sickness, had a stressful job, and exercised very little. I ate wayyyyyy worse types of food, and probably more of them. I gained ~50 lbs. it was not good. Some of it is still on me, and my "baby" is almost 6!

I would worry less about calories, and more about eating healthy food until you are full, and staying active. As long as you are active to start with, and have no other health or pg issues that would counter indicate, it is perfectly healthy to exercise through the pregnancy.
  • hookahbinx
    hookahbinx Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You need an extra 500 calories a day during pregnancy
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    hookahbinx wrote: »
    You need an extra 500 calories a day during pregnancy

Not unless your goal is to end with the weight of several more babies after giving birth...
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    OP you are growing a human being, I'm not saying eat everything in sight, but don't restrict too much. Limiting yourself to 1700 calories a day is probably not a good idea. Your priority should be to eat nutrient dense food that fills you, if you are hungry you should eat...your body is working very hard right now.
  • KatharineHarrison
    Options
    I just found out I'm expecting - thank you for this discussion!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    OP you are growing a human being, I'm not saying eat everything in sight, but don't restrict too much. Limiting yourself to 1700 calories a day is probably not a good idea. Your priority should be to eat nutrient dense food that fills you, if you are hungry you should eat...your body is working very hard right now.

1800 (my maintenance) was actually the goal in my eating plan during my pregnancies,as set by my endocrinologist monitoring me for gestational diabetes. I was not overweight and gained about the average recommended weight. The "needing to eat for two" is a myth, this is how women end with 50+ lbs to lose after delivery.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    sophhanne1 wrote: »
    Hiya!
    What's everyone's recommendations for how many calories to eat during early pregnancy?

Same. Nothing extra required until 3rd trimester.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/05may/Pages/pregnancy-diet-weight-management.aspx
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    janjunie wrote: »

1800 (my maintenance) was actually the goal in my eating plan during my pregnancies,as set by my endocrinologist monitoring me for gestational diabetes. I was not overweight and gained about the average recommended weight. The "needing to eat for two" is a myth, this is how women end with 50+ lbs to lose after delivery.

The advice you received was given to you by YOUR endocrinologist for a specific reason. I never said op should eat for two. Not everyone was eat above maintenance gains 50+ pounds....I sure didn't (no not overweight here either). My point was to take care of babies needs. I reppeat: eat nutrient dense foods that fills her, if she is hungry she should eat...herr body is working very hard right now.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Came across this discussion very helpful to pregnant moms even if it's not there first I'm currently 6 months and put on 18lbs as of today last weigh in was 12 lbs I just got weighed at ob was horrible lol I had already felt that way when I had gained 12lbs in over 4months span since weight gained kicked in around the 3rd month anyways I have hypothyroid and this pregnancy was different from my previous also and my pre pregnancy weight was lower then what I started this time it's my second child 3 pregnancy I stopped working out at 6 weeks when I found out to be safe due to high risk so haven't been working out and at my job I sit and stand and walk around so I'm not at a desk all day haven't been eating well but I also have tried not to eat late also since I had bad morning sickness during first trimester I would get hungry around 8-9 pm