Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Thanksgiving

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I plan on eating small portions and not skipping anything.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    I just eat light a day or two before and skip breakfast the day of. That way I can just pound all the delicious food into my facehole!!! Oh my god I am so excited for stuffing and gravy!!!!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Eat all the yummy foods.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    edited November 2015
    ndj1979 wrote: »

how can one day of overeating sabotage yourself?

If that one day is the rock that starts the slide of your slippery slope. Several years ago I lost around 84 pounds doing a liquid diet plan. 7 shakes/replacements per day at around 100 cals/15g protein each and one "Lean & Green" meal (up to 8oz lean meat and up to 2 cups of green veggies). I'd done fantastically adhering to the plan and felt great. Was actually jogging (have always hated jogging). I had decided I'd eat an actual meal on Thanksgiving that year because I'd done so well. I figured it was easy enough to start the plan, surely getting back on plan would be a breeze! Oh how wrong I was. I couldn't go a full-day on plan after that to save my life and ended up giving up. Since I hadn't gone through the transition phase yet that would teach me how to eat to not gain, I went back to my original eating habits. I gained that 84 plus an additional 30 on top of it!

This year I know that if I go over my calories for the day it won't be a big deal. I've done it already, though I don't think I've ever gotten above maintenance cals. I've been over my planned deficit cals at least once a month in the past 7 months, but I can't think of a single day where it was more than my body burned just existing and moving that day.

My plan for the day is to enjoy the bits that I really like and just not take any of the bits that are just "meh." I'm not really a stuffing person, so I won't have any stuffing. While I do like mashed potatoes, I MUCH prefer sweet potatoes, so I'm going to skip the MP and have the SP. Not sure which dessert I'll have. There will be pumpkin and apple pies, but I'm sure they'll both be store-bought and neither one is catching my, "Ooooo, that sounds good!" interest.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Same response as in the last 114 Thanksgiving posts:

I plan to eat double portions of turkey, potatoes, bread, stuffing, gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, and eat at least 3 pieces of pie and have a minimum of 3 glasses of wine. I then plan to sit on the couch and fall asleep watching football - probably while having a couple of beers.

I then plan to get up the next morning, dust myself off, and get back to my regular schedule.

Because 1 day does not make or ruin progress, and because Thanksgiving.
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Same response as in the last 114 Thanksgiving posts:

I plan to eat double portions of turkey, potatoes, bread, stuffing, gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, and eat at least 3 pieces of pie and have a minimum of 3 glasses of wine. I then plan to sit on the couch and fall asleep watching football - probably while having a couple of beers.

I then plan to get up the next morning, dust myself off, and get back to my regular schedule.

Because 1 day does not make or ruin progress, and because Thanksgiving.

yes to all of this!!!!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Most of the food on the table on Thanksgiving is stuff that I can have anytime. The foods that I don't get often--sweet potato casserole, homemade dinner rolls, turkey--will be eaten in large quantity. Everything else, I'll probably ignore.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    My plan is to eat whatever I want Thanksgiving weekend, and eat less calories/carbs the previous Sunday-Wednesday to keep my weekly net calories at a maximum maintenance and at best a deficit. I will log everything to the best of my ability but I won't weigh/measure. I'll use the eyeball method (I.e. A cup is the size of my fist). n8mf3fbyw36a.jpeg
    I also plan to still get 10,000+ steps every day this week to help out my weekly net :smile:
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    . n8mf3fbyw36a.jpeg

LIKE. :)
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    I'm going to enjoy ALL the food. Yum!
  • mommarnurse
    wrenak wrote: »

If that one day is the rock that starts the slide of your slippery slope. Several years ago I lost around 84 pounds doing a liquid diet plan. 7 shakes/replacements per day at around 100 cals/15g protein each and one "Lean & Green" meal (up to 8oz lean meat and up to 2 cups of green veggies). I'd done fantastically adhering to the plan and felt great. Was actually jogging (have always hated jogging). I had decided I'd eat an actual meal on Thanksgiving that year because I'd done so well. I figured it was easy enough to start the plan, surely getting back on plan would be a breeze! Oh how wrong I was. I couldn't go a full-day on plan after that to save my life and ended up giving up. Since I hadn't gone through the transition phase yet that would teach me how to eat to not gain, I went back to my original eating habits. I gained that 84 plus an additional 30 on top of it!

This year I know that if I go over my calories for the day it won't be a big deal. I've done it already, though I don't think I've ever gotten above maintenance cals. I've been over my planned deficit cals at least once a month in the past 7 months, but I can't think of a single day where it was more than my body burned just existing and moving that day.

My plan for the day is to enjoy the bits that I really like and just not take any of the bits that are just "meh." I'm not really a stuffing person, so I won't have any stuffing. While I do like mashed potatoes, I MUCH prefer sweet potatoes, so I'm going to skip the MP and have the SP. Not sure which dessert I'll have. There will be pumpkin and apple pies, but I'm sure they'll both be store-bought and neither one is catching my, "Ooooo, that sounds good!" interest.

Do you think maybe your diet failed not because of one day ruining it but because you were on a liquid diet and lost weight at a rapid weight then you had real (good) food and it ended it since a liquid diet isn't maintainable for life? I think if you're losing weight the healthy way and learning to live in a world of real food along the way, you'll be alright to "skip" a day of calorie crunching. maybe I'm burned out by it cause I'm almost to maint. I can see someone who's starting this to let things snowball after a day of indulgence.
  • mommarnurse
    ki4eld wrote: »
    Don't be afraid to try everything, but don't be afraid to leave food on your plate. Eat slowly, protein first, small bites, savor it, try it all. When you get to the point of being full, get rid of your plate, grab a glass of water or wine or a diet coke, and stop eating. If nothing else, set a timer on your phone. If in 90 minutes it goes off and you still want a bite of something, then go have another bite. Or even two bites. But pace yourself.

Oh, and take a picture of your plate when it's loaded and just before you dump it. That way, you can log the food you ate, accept that the numbers are what they are, and Friday you can move on knowing what you did, knowing you enjoyed it, and without guilt.

I wouldn't think of taking a picture. thank you! I'm going to do this.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Avoid nothing. All things in moderation.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    wrenak wrote: »

Do you think maybe your diet failed not because of one day ruining it but because you were on a liquid diet and lost weight at a rapid weight then you had real (good) food and it ended it since a liquid diet isn't maintainable for life? I think if you're losing weight the healthy way and learning to live in a world of real food along the way, you'll be alright to "skip" a day of calorie crunching. maybe I'm burned out by it cause I'm almost to maint. I can see someone who's starting this to let things snowball after a day of indulgence.

Which is why I said, "If that one day is the rock that starts the slide of your slippery slope." Of course I know it's because it was a liquid diet and I hadn't yet learned how to eat properly. This was 9 years before I understood and accepted that CICO is all it takes and there is no "magic pill" to get it done. I was the kind of person who would eat in secret, choose a food or snack and binge until it was gone, even if I was miserable, eat ALL THE THINGS the day or two before starting a plan because, "ZOMG, this is the last time I'll ever be able to have this," etc. They wean you off the plan and teach you to eat for maintenance when you're closer to goal. I still had 30-40 pounds to go so I was still in full plan mode. I have no doubt this time will be different because I'm working this as a new way of living forever. But those with certain mindsets and those with unsustainable plans may find one blow-out day to be the thing that screws them up. Was just answering "how can one day of overeating sabotage yourself?" from my perspective.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I probably won't use butter or gravy, but I'll eat as much turkey/mashed potato/stuffing as I want and have a couple slices of pie and drinks. I'm bulking but I still don't want to get crazy because I gain on 2000.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    tumblr_mqsz94jSuF1spbqkko1_250.gif
    Looking forward to diving in, and enjoying some perrrrrrrfect mashed potatoes !
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    cat.jpg?w=640
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    I'm hosting, so this is my mindset. I don't need to go too overboard tomorrow, because I'll have more than enough leftover for eating sensibly for many days to come. It's not like I'm never going to see food again and need to eat LARGE portions of EVERYTHING all in one day.

What's been working for me is that I'm now eating sensible amounts at each meal, and my body is getting used to it. I'm not hungry in between (if I am I have a small snack). I know if I stuff myself at one meal tomorrow I'll set my progress back a few weeks. Not calorie or pound-wise, but quantity-wise. I don't want to sabotage myself.

I get that there are people who can go overboard for a day and get back on track. But there are plenty of us who can't (or can't right now). I don't understand the attitude of people who aren't seeming very supportive of those of us who need to be really careful.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    My plan is to eat whatever I want Thanksgiving weekend, and eat less calories/carbs the previous Sunday-Wednesday to keep my weekly net calories at a maximum maintenance and at best a deficit. I will log everything to the best of my ability but I won't weigh/measure. I'll use the eyeball method (I.e. A cup is the size of my fist). n8mf3fbyw36a.jpeg
    I also plan to still get 10,000+ steps every day this week to help out my weekly net :smile:

This is more or less what I have been doing. I decreased my caloric intake Sunday through today, and while I will be logging tomorrow, it won't be anything super accurate - just a general inventory. I've also been keeping up with my exercise and plan to do a personal Turkey Trot (i.e. run/walk 5K or so) in the aftermath. Friday morning I have a PT appointment and a fun group run with my running group! :)

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and I plan to enjoy it to the fullest while not derailing myself. It took some extra planning, but the effort will be worth it, I think!