Thanksgiving Dinner Ideas

Options
What is everyone doing for thanksgiving tomorrow? Staying on the diet or letting go a bit? I have not decided yet.

Replies

• ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Letting go a bit all week! ;) However, I' m still logging my food and exercise, which is helping me maintain some control.. Back to mormal on Monday.
    What is everyone doing for thanksgiving tomorrow? Staying on the diet or letting go a bit? I have not decided yet.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's a feast day...I will feast...it is irrelevant to the bigger picture.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Letting it go a bit..........

Why not eat at maintenance calories? It's one day. Life (after dieting) will be filled with challenges....Christmas, birthdays, barbeques, etc. Practice dealing with these challenges...starting tomorrow.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm going to log all my food (it won't be too difficult, as my husband and I are preparing everything ourselves), but not try to hit a certain calorie goal. It's just one day.
  • Liss812
    Liss812 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm in total "motivation mode" right now. I was, too, last year at this time, after losing almost 20lbs. I decided to "let it go" for one day, and pigged out. "One day" turned into "the entire holiday season." I gained 30lbs from my daily binges. I'm keeping myself in control tomorrow. Maybe I'll eat at maintenance. That'll be plenty of food.
  • dee_thurman
    dee_thurman Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    How do you know what maintenance is for yourself. Every time I start logging I am wanting to lose weight. I am successful at it for the most part. However I have had to lose weight a few times in my life. I do not even know how many calories I can eat and maintain my weight. (As I am typing that is probably why I keep coming back to lose) :) Is this a trial and error type of thing?
  • kellellie
    kellellie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm going to visit my huge family who are all making their own dishes to bring. I'm bringing healthy-ish sides, (roasted sweet potatoes and carrots, fresh herb mashed potatoes, mini shepherd's pies, pumpkin pie dip and black bean/avocado brownies) and I plan on eating a bit of what I bring, and some tasty meat, and a brownie if I feel like I want something sweet. I'm more prone to want to over-eat all the meat dishes, and I could stand to get some more protein lately.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    How do you know what maintenance is for yourself. Every time I start logging I am wanting to lose weight. I am successful at it for the most part. However I have had to lose weight a few times in my life. I do not even know how many calories I can eat and maintain my weight. (As I am typing that is probably why I keep coming back to lose) :) Is this a trial and error type of thing?

TDEE - total daily energy expenditure. There are lots of calculators on line. Here's one:http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

They vary a little bit, but it will be pretty close.

After you get to goal, an activity tracker (ie: FitBit) can help pin this down quite a bit. Activity levels are ranges and can change daily depending upon your job, etc. These give you a much better estimate.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options

You can use calculators online or you can do trials by yourself. If you figure out the calories you can lose weight on, then you can keep adding a 100 more (and more...) until you reach maintenance.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to pre-log. Probably my only real change.

Last year, I decided to not bother with counting and to eat the meat, fruit, and veg I love first, then the higher calorie dressing, rolls, etc, and follow up with pie. Since, as usual for my family on Thanksgiving, I didn't eat breakfast and just had a small snack of leftovers for dinner I barely went over my usual limit. (Not including the long run I'd done that morning - so actually I was WAY under)

I'll do the same this year. No long run, though. This year Thanksgiving happens to fall on a rest day. Long run is Saturday, weather permitting.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Having a BALL! Since neither my partner or I live close enough to any relatives to make travel feasible, for the past 6 years, we've created our own Thanksgiving "Tradition": 3 movies with an elaborately planned meal for each movie. Tomorrow will start with the Japanese Ghibli Studio's animated POM POKO and a bento box full of fresh fish, seaweed salad, and pickled veggies; THE GREAT MCGINTY-- a 1930s screwball comedy with mob-boss theme, so that gets light italian meatballs in marinara and "screwball" cheese breadsticks; and we'll end it with FITZCARRALDO--with Andes- and Amazon-themed jungle salad, potato and quinoa patties with traditional Peruvian salsa. I've calculated the total calories for the day at ~1,000-- which leaves me plenty of room for a few glasses of wine!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Having a BALL! Since neither my partner or I live close enough to any relatives to make travel feasible, for the past 6 years, we've created our own Thanksgiving "Tradition": 3 movies with an elaborately planned meal for each movie. Tomorrow will start with the Japanese Ghibli Studio's animated POM POKO and a bento box full of fresh fish, seaweed salad, and pickled veggies; THE GREAT MCGINTY-- a 1930s screwball comedy with mob-boss theme, so that gets light italian meatballs in marinara and "screwball" cheese breadsticks; and we'll end it with FITZCARRALDO--with Andes- and Amazon-themed jungle salad, potato and quinoa patties with traditional Peruvian salsa. I've calculated the total calories for the day at ~1,000-- which leaves me plenty of room for a few glasses of wine!

What a cool tradition!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've planned and pre-logged my whole day already.
    I'm a bit over my calorie goal but not too bad.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    My friend invited me to dinner. She is going to the effort to cook. I intend to enjoy the food. I'll log it the best I can enjoy it and move on. No doubt I will be over my goal. Probably at maintenance maybe a bit over that. Whatever. It's one day. I did something similar the weekend of Halloween. I think I ate at or slightly under maintenance for about 3 days. I've lost another two pounds since then. One extravagant meal won't be the end of the world.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    I'm letting go a bit all week, too... we are on vacation w/ some of the best country-store apple pies and jumbo chewy cookies and it isn't even Thanksgiving yet. Not logging any of this - just enjoying. Also staying fairly active.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    My mom will be cooking for the two of us while I work in the morning. I'll log it and hope for maintenance when it's all said and done.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I will be eating all the things. I'm making the deviled eggs, and making roasted carrots/butternut squash with tumeric. My husband is bringing his homemade chocolate bourbon pecan pie. My mom makes me a separate stuffing that is made with veg stock, and she cooks it stuffed into a pumpkin :D:D and then of course mashy taters, appetizers. My sis is making gluten free bread(I will miss the gluten). I cannot waittttttttt
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My SO and I are going to eat peking duck and roast pig at a random restaurant in Chinatown. Then we'll see if any movie theaters are open and check out a movie. I'm going to get an hour of exercise earlier in the day, well before we go out.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    This sounds totally awesome!