Anyone have type 2 diabetes and trying to lose weight?

Options
I am 54 years old and was just diagnosed 2 weeks agowith type 2 diabetis. Trying to manage it with diet and exercise so far. I am determined to lose about 45 lbs and would love to have another diabetic buddy to encourage each other along the way on this journey.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Formerly type 2, with bariatric surgery and significant weight loss, I am now in remission on no medication. I was diagnosed insulin resistant for ten years, and diabetic for ten years after that. Done all the classes. I'll eat like a diabetic for life. If you are prescribed Metformin, be happy to take it. It also helps diabetics lose weight and is very helpful in getting sugars under control.

Here's the first and most important piece of advice I got,
    Tools_PlateMethod_4Web.png

The diabetic's life is one of balance. Never too high or too low; don't allow yourself to get too hungry or too full. Enjoy all your macros in proportion, and fill up with your veggies.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    @gonnaDOitAGAIN I'm a former type 2 diabetic... I was even to the point of insulin injections. I lost 185 pounds. Through exercise and diet, my cells have regained their sensitivity to insulin. It can be done... I wish you all the best.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I am 54 years old and was just diagnosed 2 weeks agowith type 2 diabetis. Trying to manage it with diet and exercise so far. I am determined to lose about 45 lbs and would love to have another diabetic buddy to encourage each other along the way on this journey.

Have you seen the T2 Suppport group here on MFP? Great group of ppl... I'll share the link in case you've not seen it yet. :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

There ya go :)
    Hearts <3
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Another T2D here. I was diagnosed in Jan., 2014 and was off the meds by December (was prescribed metformin but had to stop it after 3 weeks because my kidneys did not like it. Went to a low dose of glipizide instead). I have also lost 99 lb. since my diagnosis.

Are you seeing a GP or do you have a diabetic educator you see? Take advantage of all classes, consultations, etc. that your insurance offers or that you can afford. It really helps to see someone who specializes in diabetic care and/or nutrition (like a Registered Dietician).
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    <--- diagnosed type II last September... ramping up my exercise and working on improving my diet. eliminate all added sugars... stay away from "white" food (as my dietician explains... white bread, white rice, potatoes. Whole grains are your friend... exercise, exercise and more exercise. walking to start... at our age (50's) maybe running is NOT for you... BUT there are LOTS of ways to increase your cardio... think about adding muscle... also as it has been explained... body fat acts like an insulin sponge... the less fat you have... the less insulin that gets absorbed into it (resistance) start logging your food and your exercise and stick with it...
    add me as a friend if you like...
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed type 2 back in Oct. I had been prediabetic for years and with a mom and grandparents that all had it, I should have done better sooner. The actual diagnosis hit me like a ton of bricks as I am sure it does a lot of people. I am getting my a1c checked tomorrow and pray it is back in a healthy range or at the very least moving closer. There are lots of great stories on here of reversing things with weight loss. Dr's say its forever but I am trying to think positive. Good luck. You can do this!!!!
  • chalcedony
    chalcedony Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed T2D a week and a half ago. I had gestational diabetes with my last child 20 years ago and was able to keep it under control then, (so it isn't completely new to me.) Now I'm working hard to get the numbers down. Hoping to get back to that sooner rather than later. I'm already learning and encouraged by this discussion. Thanks for starting it.
  • henriklynggaard
    henriklynggaard Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Late to the party, but what did you set your macro goals at?