Eating calories burned

Options
I have a question about eating my calories burned during exercise, should I eat all my exercise calories or only a certain percentage? What do you all do?

Replies

• eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Do a search for "exercise calories" There's a ton of posts on that topic! For me, I eat them. At least half and I try to eat all of them.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different outlook on this I try not to eat all of them. If I am not hungry I do not eat them at all and if I am then I eat.
  • nhgirl30
    nhgirl30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How do I search? I don't see a search window for the message boards
  • christabeltoria
    christabeltoria Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different outlook on this I try not to eat all of them. If I am not hungry I do not eat them at all and if I am then I eat.

I'm pretty sure this is the right answer!
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    I listen to my body and I consider them available instead of necessary. If I'm hungry I have those calories to work with, if I'm not I consider them bonus burned!!!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Great advice-- if you are hungry, it is fine. Otherwise, why would you? Less calories = weight loss... Right?
  • Davali
    Davali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I never burn a really huge amount, but I always eat them back.
  • someday_soon
    Options

Click on "search" ^^^ up there next to home/recent posts/my topics/ signature. :)
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Right above the topics, there's blue words with little orange arrows. They read: Home, recent posts, my topics, signatures, and search. Hope that helps. :] I usually type in everything to see if someone else had the same question. Some people can be rude if they see the same question posted repeatedly. :-/
  • cmduncan
    cmduncan Posts: 69
    Options
    It's up to you. You will lose weight faster if you don't eat them, but you'll feel hungry which could cause you to feel miserable and thus lose motivation. You don't want to make your body angry at you. If you're feeling hungry after a workout - you should eat something.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I have been wonder the same thing, I talked to my doctor about it on Friday when I had an appointment. She told me there is not medical reason to eat back calories burned from exercising. I had not been doing it anyway. I am not going to start.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    At the top of your post to the right hand side it will say search, enter in your topic and you will find hundreds of threads.

I eat mine, well at least half, but most of the time I get pretty darn close to eating them all...

Read make an informed(as much as possible) decision as to what is right for you.
  • nhgirl30
    nhgirl30 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would agree with you but can't your metabolism stall out if you are not eating enough calories?
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    I would agree with you but can't your metabolism stall out if you are not eating enough calories?

Exactly, MFP already sets you at a deficit so you need to refuel your body.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat them. The whole point to losing weight for me is to try to eat less and I am comfortable with the daily calorie allowance. However if I feel like eating more for whatever reason then I know I can because of my calories earned through exercising. Sometimes I feel like having a treat so I do. Different things work for different people. The key is to find out what works for you and that is half the battle.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I let my body be my guide. If I'm not hungry or didn't work out very hard that day, I don't usually eat them back, but if I've worked out really hard and am hungry I usually eat some or all of them back. I decided this week that if I am going to eat back the calories, I will only do so with healthy foods though. No burning off 500 calories and then pigging out on ice cream.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your doctor's opinion. I usually don't eat calories burned and at Weight Watchers they advise that you should to keep things moving along but I never saw the logic in this. My reason for exercising is to burn more calories than I take in so I could lose weight. I feel if you eat the calories you burn then what is the point to exercising? I'm glad to hear that a Doctor has validated my feelings on this. Thanks again
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I love food! and usually eat them all back! only thing I have trouble with is knowing exactly how many calories my body has burned, sometimes I wonder if Im under or over? I know I heart rate monitor would help!
  • CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body and I consider them available instead of necessary. If I'm hungry I have those calories to work with, if I'm not I consider them bonus burned!!!
    i agree
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options

Exactly, MFP already sets you at a deficit so you need to refuel your body.

EXACTLY. There is already a deficit built in. If you aren't netting at least 1200 calories you will probably stall or stop losing. I did. I watched so carefully and worked out a ton for over a year...not losing any...I wasn't eating enough. My body was holding on to everything I gave it because I wasn't giving it enough. No matter what exercise calorie wise, just make sure you net enough! :-)