Protein Powders - To use or To not use

Options
Ok,
Here is something I have been considering and thinking about and because of the great community here I wanted to toss this question out.

I have not been good at getting to my numbers when it comes to the protein levels that are recommended... I have looked at doing some protein shakes using protein powders but I am not sure if I want to use protein powders or if there would be a better way of getting to the the proper numbers without the use of the powders...

I would love to hear input from those who use it and why and what you like about it as well as monthly cost of having the protein powder... as well as from those who don't use it and do it some other way...

Thanks
Daniel

Replies

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder as a shake (I add all kinds of fun stuff) to help me get enough protein. I buy whey protein isolate powder from WalMart and feel it's pretty cost effective. I'll add stuff to the shake like a frozen banana, almond milk, canned pumpkin, frozen berries, etc. It makes a nice snack or meal at times. I've also mixed a scoop of protein powder in with Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla b/c I use chocolate protein powder) and it makes a mousse-like substance, in which I'll mix berries. It's yummy!

If that is you in your profile pic, thank you for serving this country!!!
  • DBrooks1979
    DBrooks1979 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Equus5374.... That is me in the profile picture.. so thank you for your kind words... I had never thought about adding it to greek yogurt.. I love greek yogurt but honestly had not thought about adding it there.. and thanks for your thoughts on using protein powders... gives me a bit more insight into the use of it.
  • memo1974
    memo1974 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    I use protein powder as a shake (I add all kinds of fun stuff) to help me get enough protein. I buy whey protein isolate powder from WalMart and feel it's pretty cost effective. I'll add stuff to the shake like a frozen banana, almond milk, canned pumpkin, frozen berries, etc. It makes a nice snack or meal at times. I've also mixed a scoop of protein powder in with Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla b/c I use chocolate protein powder) and it makes a mousse-like substance, in which I'll mix berries. It's yummy!

If that is you in your profile pic, thank you for serving this country!!!

Yep, same here. I use it as a "go to" for those days that I can not eat enough real food. I like Optimum Nutrition whey because it does not upset my stomach. With some other brands I get gas and bloated stomach, but I can't digest milk very well, so it may be just me.

I add it to my oatmeal sometimes, depends on the flavor I pick. Overall, it is a good to have supplement. Also, sometimes at the end of the day, if I feel hungry, it is an easy, healthy snack before bed.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes as a way of getting extra calories and protein into my diet when I'm at work and don't have time to eat.
  • PeiDub
    PeiDub Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I put a scoop in my coffee every morning. It works for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,010 Member
    Options
    I like protein powder in fruit smoothies in the summer and in coffee with coconut oil this time of year.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast eater so I've always relied on shakes, smoothies, etc.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I use them as needed. Probably 1-2 days a week on average. Days I won't be able to plan meals effectively, when I am lazy, when I feel like a milkshake, or days I am just in a rush. Typical shake style with berries/banana/pineapple and spinach is my go to, I will also add it to yogurt, oatmeal(or other hot cereal), or just take along a scoop or two to mix into water when I am out and about. I usually pack it when we go visit family because I cannot eat gluten due to migraines and the way my and my husbands families cook would leave me with very few choices. At least this way I can fill up without having to bring too many groceries along. It took me a while to find one I like and I stick with it mostly, just grabbed a pure hemp protein one off the shelf at my local pharmacy, I like the iron levels in it so thought it would be worth a try.

As an addition to the second part of your question:

What I do on days I don't want to use or don't have any protein powder on hand is plan well!! Make sure I have an extra egg white in with the two whole eggs I will eat, use full or fat free Greek yogurt to dip my fruit in or make add dip mix and dip veggies in it, pack along a tin of plain tuna to eat with my veggies, snack on cottage cheese, brig leftover roasted meat for my lunches, buy some jerky. There are tons of foods high in protein you just have to plan ahead to work them in.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your service Marine - Use Protein powder to get a more protein in your diet especially right after a workout. It can be a good source for additional low calorie protein. I will use it 2 X per day Eastcoast Jim
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    PeiDub wrote: »
    I put a scoop in my coffee every morning. It works for me.

I love that idea - Eastcoast Jim

• morgankruse
    morgankruse Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't eat right and maybe I should start making protein shakes
    I use them as needed. Probably 1-2 days a week on average. Days I won't be able to plan meals effectively, when I am lazy, when I feel like a milkshake, or days I am just in a rush. Typical shake style with berries/banana/pineapple and spinach is my go to, I will also add it to yogurt, oatmeal(or other hot cereal), or just take along a scoop or two to mix into water when I am out and about. I usually pack it when we go visit family because I cannot eat gluten due to migraines and the way my and my husbands families cook would leave me with very few choices. At least this way I can fill up without having to bring too many groceries along. It took me a while to find one I like and I stick with it mostly, just grabbed a pure hemp protein one off the shelf at my local pharmacy, I like the iron levels in it so thought it would be worth a try.

What I do on days I don't want to use or don't have any protein powder on hand is plan well!! Make sure I have an extra egg white in with the two whole eggs I will eat, use full or fat free Greek yogurt to dip my fruit in or make add dip mix and dip veggies in it, pack along a tin of plain tuna to eat with my veggies, snack on cottage cheese, brig leftover roasted meat for my lunches, buy some jerky. There are tons of foods high in protein you just have to plan ahead to work them in.

• summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I only use it when my protein intake from food is inadequate.....makes for a yummy quick smoothie on days when I'm just running out of time
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    ive had protein shakes for the past 5 years...id be eating nonstop otherwise to get enough protein...i try to get like 180g a day or so.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    My go-to is Muscle Milk. I have some of the powders and some of the pre-made shakes I can grab and go. The Pro Series nutrition numbers are good and it's almost a daily thing for me so I can hit my protein macro. Plus, it's like drinking chocolate milk!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I have some daily for lunch. And sometimes in the evening, warm, mixed with hot chocolate. I just got Trutein Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup today and OMG, that stuff could be dangerous it's so good.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just a food like anything else. It's not something super duper special.

If you aren't hitting your protein goal through things like meat, fish, yogurt, other dairy products, nuts, seeds, legumes, etc. Then i see no reason why taking a scoop or two of protein powder would be an issue.

By all means, increase the other sources of protein in your diet. But if you find yourself struggling to eat what you want and enjoy while hitting your calories and protein, just take a protein powder. It's quick, easy, tastes pretty good, and is usually low in calories.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Kind of a go-to back for me. Maybe once a week. In yoghurt mostly, sometimes in cereal, often in shakes.

Other main sources of protein for me...eggs, artifical crab meat (put it in sandwiches and salads), nuts, cottage cheese and yoghurt.

• Nikkei74
    Nikkei74 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What I like about it is convenience. What I don't like is the taste or texture. I've tried multiple brands, flavours and types - whey, soy, pea, hemp - and have never found an enjoyable one. In my experience the pea and hemp ones are gritty, and all of them are ridiculously sweet. If anyone can recommend one that's unsweetened and is available in Australia, I'd love to hear it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I have a shake (Fitness Labs 6 Protein Blend) weekdays for breakfast, and often another mid-afternoon. Very tasty and convenient at the office. I drink Isopure during my long weight-lifting workouts because of the potassium, sodium and electrolytes. I have a couple others (Manitoba Harvest Hemp Protein) that I like to mix into oatmeal.
  • mlboyer100
    mlboyer100 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It's an easy way to get your protein in without adding a lot of calories, carbs and fat! I have one every day, either loaded up or plain Jane, depending on my calories and macros. When you add a lot of fruit, which really tastes great,Mir also adds a lot of calories and natural sugars. I usually opt out for that and like my fruit chopped up on something where I can see and taste them. As far as what protein powders, look for Whey Isolate, lower carbs and higher protein. Always read the labels for they are not anywhere near being equal. Walmart and now Kroger sells Body Fortress Vanilla whey Isolate for abou $18. Best protein for the buck! Amazon sells "About Time" Strawberry whey Isolate, 2 lbs tub for $26-28. Very good too. I haven't found a good chocolate whey isolate I can afford yet.