Chocolate milk

Options
pkd1
pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
My question is this, everymorning I make myself a cup of hot chocolate with fat free skim milk, it satisfies me for about 3 hours in the morning, and since I don't drink coffee in the AM it gives me that little pep in the early hrs. My question is, is the ff milk good for me, shld I use almond or cashew ? Or shld I not be drinking it at all?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    whole milk is better nutritionally.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    If you are hitting your macros, and it is something you enjoy...keep at it. Not a huge difference in milk content when the fat is removed, save a few calories.. lose a few vitamins which can be supplemented if that is a problem.
    I personally am not a fan of almond or cashew, no particular reason other than taste.

Hot chocolate is a pretty big calorie hit, and I am pretty sure one winter I can attribute a significant weight gain due just to the two hot chocs -a-day I was consuming at my girls hockey games! These machine made ones are delicious but its like drinking a chocolate bar. Yum
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I love hot chocolate, but I struggle to fit in the calories, which is why I don't have it that often. I try not to drink my calories where I can help it.

I understand the appeal though and there is nothing wrong with a bit of milk if you enjoy it and tolerate it.

If you are logging the calories and it fits, why not?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Use the one you like the taste the best. Because total diet is more important than minor components of it. If i drink milk, i am drinking skim because i grew up on it and a lot less calories than whole milk.
  • CitrusEscape
    CitrusEscape Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Use dark cocoa powder. It has fewer calories and more antioxidants.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Milk replacements like cashew or almond have similar or higher calcium but have much lower protein. The milk is better for the protein.

I'd worry more about the sugar in that hot chocolate.

If the whole thing is coming out to about 400 calories and it's satisyfing you for three hours, you've found a winning breakfast.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

Cocoa powder is not entirely free of fat/calories. By itself it is very bitter unless a lot of sweetener is added. Added sugar means more calories and the OP is back where she started.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    fairlife-chocolate.jpg

Good AF
  • CitrusEscape
    CitrusEscape Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Cocoa powder is not entirely free of fat/calories. By itself it is very bitter unless a lot of sweetener is added. Added sugar means more calories and the OP is back where she started.

OP can add some stevia in it and she would be good to go.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Personal choice m'dear!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I second the fairlife chocolate milk. I like it, and don't even like chocolate milk!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    fairlife-chocolate.jpg

Good AF

Must try this!!!!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    fairlife-chocolate.jpg

Good AF

Thirded! I like their regular nonfat milk also, it's all we keep in the 'fridge.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    never seen that product. I'll have to check into it