Currently trying to gain weight (muscle), should I get a fit bit?

Options
Or anything that would calculate how much I'm burning off? I know there's not a lot of calories burned when lifting and it's probably not a good idea to eat my calories back. Idk. I really want some input here before I buy one.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you want to gain weight/muscle then you should eat your exercise calories back so that you are in a surplus. I would suggest using TDEE method, calculate your maintenance level, and then add 250 calories a day to that for a half pound per week gain.
  • karwowski1992
    karwowski1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    if you want to gain weight/muscle then you should eat your exercise calories back so that you are in a surplus. I would suggest using TDEE method, calculate your maintenance level, and then add 250 calories a day to that for a half pound per week gain.

The only thing with that is that I want to be as precise as possible. I've tried a few website and the difference in number are scary. I don't want the whole 'trial and error' deal. I just want to get to my goals as fast as possible (in a healthy, realistic way).
  • ndj1979
    Options

The only thing with that is that I want to be as precise as possible. I've tried a few website and the difference in number are scary. I don't want the whole 'trial and error' deal. I just want to get to my goals as fast as possible (in a healthy, realistic way).

even using a fitbit it is going to be trial and error. Once you have the number pegged it is pretty easy to figure out your gain weight. Also, as you add weight you are going to need to bump your calories up and that is...you guessed it, trial and error.

I use TDEE and I have my cut, maintain, and gain levels pegged within about 100 calories.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The fitbit is good for counting steps and estimating cardio. Lifting is not a cardio activity. Something like the MOOV can count reps for you. Logging how many reps and how much weight you are lifting will tell you roughly if you are getting stronger (muscle gains).
  • chaines0145
    chaines0145 Posts: 18 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Lifting can be a cardio activity, depending on the way you are doing it (you still need to take into account the calories you burn while lifting). Fitbits also track the amount to calories burned in a day, a good number to know if you are trying to build muscle. I have a Microsoft Fitwatch that have a lot of the same features as a Fitbit. I will use the calories burned number that the device gives me and use that find my TDEE. Of course, it will still be trail and error because the technology will not be 100% correct. It does not take into consideration every possible factor. I hope this helped!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Lifting can be a cardio activity, depending on the way you are doing it (you still need to take into account the calories you burn while lifting). Fitbits also track the amount to calories burned in a day, a good number to know if you are trying to build muscle. I have a Microsoft Fitwatch that have a lot of the same features as a Fitbit. I will use the calories burned number that the device gives me and use that find my TDEE. Of course, it will still be trail and error because the technology will not be 100% correct. It does not take into consideration every possible factor. I hope this helped!

if you are lifting to gain muscle - progressive overload - then said lifting regimen will not be anywhere close to cardio....
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • chaines0145
    chaines0145 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ndj, that is why I said it can be cardio-like depending on how you do it. I am an aspiring powerlifter. My workouts are nowhere close to cardio. I was just stating that it could be. I understand that this is a muscle building forum so most everyone one here is using (or should use) progressive overload.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    In the end, they are all estimates. If you like thr technology, then go for it. I just monitored my intake for a month and was able to figure out my average maintenance. The latter method cost me $15 (cost of a food scale).
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone, it's going to boil down to your preferred method of estimation. I love mine because it inspires me to walk more, but I'm cutting. Tons of movement would actually be counterproductive on a bulk unless you just prefer a ton of volume of food.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that there may be some error in the Fitbit's reported calorie burn. While they are generally accurate, I believe mine tends to slightly overestimate my calories burned.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

+1 and it is all trial and error until you find out what works for you.
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

The healthy, realistic way is to not obsess too much. Trust me. My first bulk, I nitpicked every calorie trying to bulk "clean" at just 300 calories because I was so scared of fat gain. It was neurotic. I was not very happy. And my bulk didn't even go that well, only put on about 8 pounds in 9 months because I was too obsessed with "clean" gains (a newbie male could gain about 15 lbs of muscle in that timeframe on their first year).

Second bulk is going way better than the first. I only roughly estimate calories now, and use a "saftey margin" approach where I aim for a 500+ surplus over TDEE to make sure I am absolutely getting all the calories I need (going over even a bit somedays). You can't possibly track every calorie you put in or put out with absolute accuracy. Even the most diligent logger is going to be off by as much as 10% a day. That is the difference between a surplus and maintenance/deficit for most people if you goofed your logs enough.

I could see getting a fitbit for the heart rate monitor aspect, which you can use to determine when you are ready for another set, but it's awfully expensive for something you could just roughly figure out using your fingers on your neck and a clock. It's a personal thing I guess. I don't find it necessary.
  • Steve_PB
    Steve_PB Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As stated whatever method you use it is going to boil down to trial and error. Nailing your diet is never going to be a quick fix as you need to allow time between adjustments before you assess and adjust again accordingly.
    Fit bit can help to show you what you are eating and how many calories your burn each day, but so can TDEE. Either way you'll need to invest time into getting the right numbers.

Also even when training in progressive overload an hour session can be 200 or so calories in addition to your daily burn. If you only increased by 250kcals not calculating this could be the difference between gaining and just spinning your wheels.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    _Bropollo_ wrote: »

The healthy, realistic way is to not obsess too much. Trust me. My first bulk, I nitpicked every calorie trying to bulk "clean" at just 300 calories because I was so scared of fat gain. It was neurotic. I was not very happy. And my bulk didn't even go that well, only put on about 8 pounds in 9 months because I was too obsessed with "clean" gains (a newbie male could gain about 15 lbs of muscle in that timeframe on their first year).

Second bulk is going way better than the first. I only roughly estimate calories now, and use a "saftey margin" approach where I aim for a 500+ surplus over TDEE to make sure I am absolutely getting all the calories I need (going over even a bit somedays). You can't possibly track every calorie you put in or put out with absolute accuracy. Even the most diligent logger is going to be off by as much as 10% a day. That is the difference between a surplus and maintenance/deficit for most people if you goofed your logs enough.

I could see getting a fitbit for the heart rate monitor aspect, which you can use to determine when you are ready for another set, but it's awfully expensive for something you could just roughly figure out using your fingers on your neck and a clock. It's a personal thing I guess. I don't find it necessary.

cosign..

I had same issue on first bulk and on now on my second one I am up ten pounds in 13 weeks….

I was shooting for 190 pounds but now I may go for an extra five ..but we will see what I look and feel like at 190