Lifting program that doesn't need a rack

Options
13»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    LernRach wrote: »
    Wow, a lot happened whilst I was asleep!! Thank you for all your responses!
    I have a regular bench but without the rack on top so I do the bench presses on it... If there is someone there to pass the bar to me, I can increase my weight on bench press, however getting it into position is where I struggle.
    I mentioned it to a PT yesterday, how unfair it is that we don't have same equipment and she rolled her eyes at me...
    Does anyone have a link for a kettle bells workout? that could be something I work on for the time being..

As for Mr Sexist - I'm sorry to hear you are having issues coming to terms with the different options out there! feel free to attend Speakers Corner in Hyde Park and air your views (google it...)

Ok, so you absolutely cannot do something like SL. Why would a gym have barbells at all, if they cannot be used in practice?
    Anyway, there are strength training routines not using barbells. What are you looking for? It could be dumbbell based or bodyweight, or a combination. Kettlebells are meant for swinging, they cannot be used to build a lifting program around them.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    They have the heavy dumbbells and the weights to put on end of bar etc. (There is a rack, in the main gym, I just don't work out there) They have every piece of equipment necessary for me to use except rack!!!!

Can you work in the main gym with the same membership? I know you might not want to, but to keep progressing you may have to. Or ask the owner to put a rack in the ladies gym. I don't think it's fair that its not equally equipped.

What's a "Ladies gym"?
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I have a regular bench but without the rack on top so I do the bench presses on it... If there is someone there to pass the bar to me, I can increase my weight on bench press, however getting it into position is where I struggle.
    I mentioned it to a PT yesterday, how unfair it is that we don't have same equipment and she rolled her eyes at me...
    Does anyone have a link for a kettle bells workout? that could be something I work on for the time being..

As for Mr Sexist - I'm sorry to hear you are having issues coming to terms with the different options out there! feel free to attend Speakers Corner in Hyde Park and air your views (google it...)

Ok, so you absolutely cannot do something like SL. Why would a gym have barbells at all, if they cannot be used in practice?
    Anyway, there are strength training routines not using barbells. What are you looking for? It could be dumbbell based or bodyweight, or a combination. Kettlebells are meant for swinging, they cannot be used to build a lifting program around them.

I suppose I"m looking to build muscle whilst losing weight. (Not sure what the accurate MFP language is for this but you get what I mean) I'm not looking to be a body builder, just to be strong.... As stated above, they have most equipment apart for racks....
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    They have the heavy dumbbells and the weights to put on end of bar etc. (There is a rack, in the main gym, I just don't work out there) They have every piece of equipment necessary for me to use except rack!!!!

Can you work in the main gym with the same membership? I know you might not want to, but to keep progressing you may have to. Or ask the owner to put a rack in the ladies gym. I don't think it's fair that its not equally equipped.

What's a "Ladies gym"?

In the gym I attend there is a (massive!!!!) main gym, and then a smaller room just for women... It's not really up for discussion why and how unfair this is to the men... I live in an area where there are lots of religious Muslims and Jews who would not want to work out together with men either due to having to be too covered up whilst working out or for general modesty reasons. Having said that, there are quite a few women there who are in the Ladies gym just because they feel more comfortable....
  • sk1982
    sk1982 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    my gym also has a large gym floor and smaller separate womens section. I know some women feel more comfortable there and thats fine...but i refuse to use it on the basis of i'm just as good as the men and strong in my own right so i'll do my workout on the main floor thanks. I understand in different countries different cultures prevail and thats fair enough.

On the main floor my gym has 4 squat racks in a row (there are others dotted around too) and i just love when i look around and see there are 3 other women in the racks...i feel like we are finally making progress away from the "weights will make me bulky" myth...
  • LernRach
    Options
    sk1982 wrote: »
    my gym also has a large gym floor and smaller separate womens section. I know some women feel more comfortable there and thats fine...but i refuse to use it on the basis of i'm just as good as the men and strong in my own right so i'll do my workout on the main floor thanks. I understand in different countries different cultures prevail and thats fair enough.

On the main floor my gym has 4 squat racks in a row (there are others dotted around too) and i just love when i look around and see there are 3 other women in the racks...i feel like we are finally making progress away from the "weights will make me bulky" myth...

I don't feel less then a man because I work out in a smaller, less packed, better air conditioned room. If someone feels less of a person as a result of that, its their mind that is causing that, not the area in which you work out... I have been lifting on my own, sans rack and was squatting 30kg... Seeing as I'm 12 weeks Post Partum, I'm pretty impressed with myself, but alas I can see I can't continue..
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think you should work out where you feel comfortable

But I think that if the management of the gym do not provide suitable free weight equipment, which includes a rack, in the 'Ladies Only' section of the gym that I would complain .. vociferously .. until they do

• Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Go diy early.

squatstands.jpg

More than just squat stands
    Though these stands have been posted online before, I aim to improve upon existing internet plans to combine the squat stand and the bench press. It's more like a portable power rack at this point. Whatever it is, it's only about $50 and is strong enough to support a quarter ton, or even more.

Cost: approx. $50
    Project Time: 1 day (plus drying time)
    Difficulty: You have to be able to cut 2x4s, drill into 2x4s, put glue on 2x4s, drive screws into 2x4s, and mix and pour cement into a bucket containing the bottom of said 2x4s. If you can handle that, then you're good to go.

Tools Needed:
    • Drill
    • Saw (any kind that can cut a 2x4, your choice)
    • Sander (either electric or get a rubber sanding block to use by hand)
    • Trowel or small shovel of some kind to mix cement
    • Container in which to mix said cement
    Materials Needed (short list):
    • 2x4 studs (you'll need about nine)
    • Box of 2 1/2 inch deck screws (I like T25 star bit)
    • 5 gallon buckets (two of them)
    • 120 lbs. of ready to use cement (Quikrete)
    • Wood Glue
    • Metal Backing Plates (more info in elaborate list below)
    • Twine (or some form of pliable strong rope/thread)
    • Sticky Foam or Cork or something similar, and Duct Tape (optional)
    • Paint / Stain (optional)
    • 2 big metal "L" brackets (optional but recommended for bench press, see video at bottom)
    • 2 bolts, washers, and nuts that fit the holes in your saw horse (optional, see video)
    • Scrap plywood or OSB (optional, see video)
    • 5 ft. length of 1 x 6 board (optional, see video)

SOURCE
    Go diy early.

squatstands.jpg

Though these stands have been posted online before, I aim to improve upon existing internet plans to combine the squat stand and the bench press. It's more like a portable power rack at this point. Whatever it is, it's only about $50 and is strong enough to support a quarter ton, or even more.

Difficulty: You have to be able to cut 2x4s, drill into 2x4s, put glue on 2x4s, drive screws into 2x4s, and mix and pour cement into a bucket containing the bottom of said 2x4s. If you can handle that, then you're good to go.

Tools Needed:
    • Drill
    • Wood Glue
    • 2 big metal "L" brackets (optional but recommended for bench press, see video at bottom)
    • 2 bolts, washers, and nuts that fit the holes in your saw horse (optional, see video)

SOURCE

This piece of equipment is a beauty, love to see imagination and craftsmanship.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

I suppose I"m looking to build muscle whilst losing weight. (Not sure what the accurate MFP language is for this but you get what I mean) I'm not looking to be a body builder, just to be strong.... As stated above, they have most equipment apart for racks....
    rabbitjb wrote: »

What's a "Ladies gym"?

In the gym I attend there is a (massive!!!!) main gym, and then a smaller room just for women... It's not really up for discussion why and how unfair this is to the men... I live in an area where there are lots of religious Muslims and Jews who would not want to work out together with men either due to having to be too covered up whilst working out or for general modesty reasons. Having said that, there are quite a few women there who are in the Ladies gym just because they feel more comfortable....

Not everyone who wants to increase strength lifts, so you need to figure out a routine you can feel comfortable with.
    What equipment do they have? What are the other women doing?
    Dumbbells, machines, resistance bands? What is available to you? "Every piece of equipment", honestly I doubt it (for any gym), so be more specific.
    What does the staff suggest as sample routines? If it is a large gym, they probably have someone who can at least give you a generic plan and you can adapt it as needed. They must have had something in mind when they designed the room, so you need to figure out what it is.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Go diy early.

squatstands.jpg

Tools Needed:
    • Drill
    • Wood Glue

SOURCE

Where is the "Like" Button on this... I just bought stands last night online... bummer..
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I love the barbells, but I also love my kettlebells. One good program to start with is Pavel Tsatsouline's Simple and Sinister - it's basically just swings and get-ups, but it will knock you on your butt every time you move up a bell size. No, kettlebells won't get you to a 2BW deadlift or a 1.5BW squat (probably), but you can get pretty damn strong with them by normal-person standards.

Pavel's site, strongfirst.com, has some other good routines too if you spend some time reading around. And Girya Girl has a whole blog category of kettlebell workouts.
  • blondie_mfp
    blondie_mfp Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    jacklifts wrote: »

omg hahahaha
  • sk1982
    sk1982 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    [quote="

I don't feel less then a man because I work out in a smaller, less packed, better air conditioned room. If someone feels less of a person as a result of that, its their mind that is causing that, not the area in which you work out... I have been lifting on my own, sans rack and was squatting 30kg... Seeing as I'm 12 weeks Post Partum, I'm pretty impressed with myself, but alas I can see I can't continue..[/quote]

Its not so much about feeling less than a man I guess what i'm trying to say that a lot of times in commercial gyms women can feel segregated and intimidated by the weights room on the main floor (and i'm not saying thats why you dont want to workout there). While the ladies gym is great stop-gap in terms of giving women somewhere to work out it (in my opinion) doesnt really solve the initial problem. So when i see lots of women on the main floor it pleases me because its a small step towards having a more accessible to everyone gym...because people shouldnt be intimidate by a few men who spend more time taking selfies in the mirrors than lifting weights (joking!!)

I d hope that you get a programme that suits you - as others have suggested you may have to consider alternatives to SL or any programme that involves compound lifts - but you should be able to work out an alternative that is more than adequate.

• Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    This is sexism on the worst level, it's great more and more women are getting into lifting and and lifting heavy and the "i just want to tone" attitude has played it course. The fact that alot of women only gyms still don't have squat racks is kinda crappy. I know lots of people are like " there's no point in womens gyms" and whatever but i get it, there are dude's that go to the gym and focus and do thier thing and couldnt care who's around but you also get the young dudes in the prime of thier teens years gaucking at every girl they see, would annoy me anyway haha.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It's pretty easy to find suitable substitutes and alternatives. Bodybuilding.com has a really good exercise database.

(I've had to because I don't have access to barbells and my apartment is too small to get a rack. Plus I live on the 2nd floor so my neighbor would probably end up hating me :laugh: )

Some suggestions:
    Squats - Goblet Squats, Pistol Squats, Lunges/Reverse Lunges, Split Squat, Bulgarian Split Squat
    Bench Press - Floor Press
    Deadlifts - DB Romanian Deadlifts, DB/Vertical Swing, Single Leg Romanian Deadlift
    OHP - Shoulder Press, Standing Arnold Press
    BB Bent Over Row - DB Bent Over Row, Inverted Rows

ETA: Saw that you have a bench so you could do DB Bench Press. There are palms in and palms out versions, one arm or two and if you have a bench that is adjustable, you can do inclines or declines.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

This doesn't sound like an effective way to get a rack. How about talking to management, explain you need a rack for your program and that you prefer to work out in the Ladies Only section, and ask them to either put in a rack or come up with suggestions that work for your program.

• LernRach
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    It's pretty easy to find suitable substitutes and alternatives. Bodybuilding.com has a really good exercise database.

(I've had to because I don't have access to barbells and my apartment is too small to get a rack. Plus I live on the 2nd floor so my neighbor would probably end up hating me :laugh: )

Some suggestions:
    Squats - Goblet Squats, Pistol Squats, Lunges/Reverse Lunges, Split Squat, Bulgarian Split Squat
    Bench Press - Floor Press
    Deadlifts - DB Romanian Deadlifts, DB/Vertical Swing, Single Leg Romanian Deadlift
    OHP - Shoulder Press, Standing Arnold Press
    BB Bent Over Row - DB Bent Over Row, Inverted Rows

ETA: Saw that you have a bench so you could do DB Bench Press. There are palms in and palms out versions, one arm or two and if you have a bench that is adjustable, you can do inclines or declines.

Thank you that sounds like a good place to start (and fall on floor in pain :wink: Will adjust some of those into a workout for me and see what I can do...
    Tomm88 wrote: »
    This is sexism on the worst level, it's great more and more women are getting into lifting and and lifting heavy and the "i just want to tone" attitude has played it course. The fact that alot of women only gyms still don't have squat racks is kinda crappy. I know lots of people are like " there's no point in womens gyms" and whatever but i get it, there are dude's that go to the gym and focus and do thier thing and couldnt care who's around but you also get the young dudes in the prime of thier teens years gaucking at every girl they see, would annoy me anyway haha.

Yes it is sexism that it is not as well equipped, but tbh I am just happy it exists... I have to walk through the main gym to get in and out of women's and trust me, I don't look particularly good at that point and u can literally feel the eyes on you as you walk... the guys are very cocky and full of themselves there, suave cars, loud voices, etc etc and it reflects in their attitude towards women...
  • Ct268
    Ct268 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Go diy early.

squatstands.jpg

Tools Needed:
    • Drill
    • Wood Glue

SOURCE

like^