bread!

Options
I eat like 6 slices of whole wheat bread a day, is this bad? lol

Replies

• gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm a big bread eater so I would totally say no. I eat whole wheat and whole grain breads. Nom! What's your favorite?
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Fiber is really important to weight loss, and grains are one of the major food groups, so I would say that bread is a good thing.

However, it really depends on what kind you eat. Some bread is 100 calories a slice with zero nutritional value. My favorite is either light schwebels or nickels at 35 calories a slice (the wheat and whole grain versions have better protein and fiber stats).

To put it in perspective, if you switched from 100 calorie slices of bread, to 35 calories slices of bread, that would be a difference of 390 calories a day, 142350 calories a year, and 40.6 pounds a year.
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    LoL, I thought bread was bad because of the whole carb thing.. I love wheat bread!! So it's okay to eat it?
  • mjpmark
    mjpmark Posts: 16
    Options
    I love my bread, in fact i could eat just bread, but everyone i talk to who really knows their fitness, all tell me that its bad for weight loss.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Yes breads do spike insulin which can lead in weight gain, but it's also true that fiber is very important. Actually net carbs are totalCarbs - Fiber
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Nutrition fairy is here!
    Here's the lowdown on bread:
    Bread is a carbohydrate. At the end of the day, it becomes sugar in your system. If you exercise a lot, and expend many calories over the day then your body needs these sugars to create ATP (the scientific name for the energy that keeps you alive).
    What matters if it's bad or not is if you're feeling sluggish throughout the day (which could be a reason for the large consumption of bread in the first place). If this sounds like you, vary your intake of sugars. Try fruits and "natural" sweeteners, like yogurt and honey or cinnamon in your oatmeal.
    If energy is no issue and you feel great when you eat a lot of bread, then don't worry about it. Make sure, though, that your bread is fortified with vitamins (because grains have a lot of vitamin B which is good for you and your metabolism). And lastly, buy a few different kinds of loaves. So if this week you have potato bread, try honey wheat next week. And 7 grain after that. Or maybe even a gluten free bread! Don't limit your curiosity with flavors. :)