Maybe at 52 I shouldn't eat my exercise calories...

Options
2»

Replies

• tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm no where near 50, yet, however the starvation mode is a myth!!!

I eat roughly around 1,200-1,300 calories a day and I never eat ANY of my 500-1000 daily exercise calories back and I'm losing just fine.

Losing weight is about calories in being less than calories out. I would suggest cleaning up your diet. Paying attention to the types of food going in your body.

Good luck with everything! :flowerforyou:
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm a few months shy of 47 and I eat most, if not all of my exercise calories because there's no way I can make it on 1200 calories a day or less. I can't argue with the merits of doing that since I have lost almost 17 pounds in the 3 months since I joined MFP. But in the end we all have to find the way that works best for each of us. Maybe this is the approach that will work best for you. Congrats on your progress thus far.
  • delilah122
    delilah122 Posts: 41
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone! You sure get quick feedback on this site! Really helpful stuff! I will take it all into consideration. I do eat healthy, being vegan, I have to be very careful about protein vs. carbs., but I think I do a good job of it... except for yesterday, I really don't want to talk about that. In any case, I can only say that I have truly been careful and mindful of doing all the right things and I'll try to stay positive about the good changes I have seen and not dwell on the negative stuff.. I'll try.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am a 50-something and I too think it sounds silly. I mean I've had half a century of hearing this and that gimmick about losing weight. Yes, eating too few calories is bad for your health, but it does not make you gain weight (duh!). Eat healthy, don't overeat, and exercise. That's still how you do it.

Eating too few calories may not make you gain weight - but you won't lose weight either. Google "Starvation mode" and read what it says. When you don't give your body enough calories to fuel itself to do everyday functions (like breathing, growing hair, digesting food) it sure as heck isn't going to burn off the fat that is already on you. It's worried you're going to stop feeding it and it shouldn't burn the fat --- just in case it may need it later.

Eating = losing weight (and I am a perfect example of that!). From my own personal experience, I'm telling you that this is true. Ask around on here. You'll find sooo many people who will tell you EAT! Don't starve yourself.

My BMR is 1330. So, if I laid in bed ALL day long and didn't do ANYTHING (not even get up!) my body would still need 1330 calories just to perform basic bodily functions. If I only eat 1200 calories a day, I'm not even giving my body enough to perform basic functions on a day when I'm laying in bed not doing ANYTHING. Add in all the stuff we do in a day and you'll find that you need far more than what you think. Does this mean go out and eat 2000 calories worth of quarter pounders with cheese? NO. But, if you eat healthy foods -- you WILL lose weight.

Maybe this has something to do with being very obese, which I've never been so I can't speak to that. But I have been "overweight" many times and lost it (max 40 lbs over). The most recent time the beginning of this year. I've never counted calories before joining this site (after most of the weight was already lost). If you eat less food than you burn you'll lose weight. It does not have to healthy food, many times when I was younger I lost by eating nothing but a piece of pizza and a snickers all day long. Now I eat healthy foods till I'm full. My body will tell me when it needs more, and I'll give it more.
  • aipatrick
    aipatrick Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm getting up off my couch and training for a half-marathon, and when I went to buy shoes, I found the most incredible, bubbly, enthusiastic salesperson who walked me through proper running form, what I'm going to go through mentally, what certain pitfalls are, why I'm going to hit pockets of discouraging results along the way, what injuries I might experience... She was fantastic, and everything she's said so far has been true.

One of the things she said was that at about six to eight weeks, I'm likely to hit a plateau. I'm going to have done all this great stuff for my body for weeks and weeks, and I feel better, but I'm frustrated because I'm not going to see any weight loss. She said that when I hit that point, to not freak out and quit, because that's when it's going to start to get better. She said that six to eight weeks is about the amount of time it takes for your body to get in gear for weight loss.

I'm not at that point yet, and I'm not an expert and have no evidence that she is, either, but I trust her. If there is a six/eight week plateau where people get frustrated with their efforts and give up, it sounds like you might be about there... Keep going-- this holding pattern might just be temporary!
  • delilah122
    delilah122 Posts: 41
    Options
    Thank you, aipatrick, that's interesting information. I'll keep it in mind the next couple of weeks and try to be patient. Good luck training!
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    bump