Wearing medals on New Year's Eve or at holiday party?

Options
this year I've ran three marathons, a half, a 10k and two 5k's.

Runners, is it bad form for me to wear all my medals for the year at a New Years or holiday gathering in order to (yeah, show my success), but also as a "now we start again this year" kind of thing.

Community, What are your thoughts?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    bigfatbino wrote: »

Runners, is it bad form for me to wear all my medals for the year at a New Years or holiday gathering in order to (yeah, show my success), but also as a "now we start again this year" kind of thing.

Leave it at home. Too pretentious.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Is it a costume party? Otherwise... no. Just no. Don't wear them.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Would you carry a trophy with you to a party? That's what medals are, for display only.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I would find that very odd. You're right to be proud of your achievement, but I think wearing them is a bit much.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    No no no
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. I kind of rolled my eyes just reading this.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    People would look at you oddly .

When is the last time you've saw people wearing medals at parties ? Only at costume parties ! People would laugh at you and think your showing off ( besides the fact that some events give everyone medal just for showing up and participating)

So if you want to make people laugh, then wear your medals. I'm sure people will crack up laughing at you and will surely make many jokes.

This would be no different then a beauty Queen showing up with her trophies and crowns and sash . it would be hilarious.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Ok if there were no medal and they just shook your hand and said good job would you still run? Or do you need the medal and praise from everyone who sees it? If I went to a party and saw someone wearing all their medals yes I would talk to them but only because I would be thinking poor sap.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options

I'm a cyclist ... and no. Personally, I'd never wear my medals, badges, or anything depicting my cycling accomplishments to a holiday gathering.

I might post a photo of them on Facebook when I got them ... if I were so inclined (I'm not ... but if I were), I might create a motivational photo of them for New Year's Eve with an inspiring quote or something ... but otherwise the award paraphernalia goes into the display cabinet and stays there.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    And it won't help you get laid. Honest. :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Now that I think about it, every race I've been to gives something to everyone for showing up. Some give shirts, medals, water bottles, and so on. You could dress yourself up in all your race memorabilia and make it like a race costume
    . you can show your guests all your stuff to all your friends. Like " this shirt came from a color run , this water bottle came from my 5k, this medal came from a 10k and so on.
    It can be your official party outfit
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options

Leave it at home. Too pretentious.

My thoughts exactly
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It is certainly going to be a little unusual. I could see how my family or fellow racers might want to see and touch a medal to a big event. Did you podium at a major event?

I know someone who won an olympic gold in the 70s and has brought the medal to my daughter fencing class. But other than that - it tends to be something that stays in a case or pinned to the wall.

You can always go the New Years Party and invite someone home to see your medals. ;)
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Ok thanks for the input I like the idea of a Facebook photo with a motivational quote of some sort. Makes for a good "2015 done, now lace up for 2016" image that can be tastefully done.

I think I'll go that way. It seems more socially acceptable. Though maybe for Halloween a zombie runner might be fun hehehe ;)

As for getting laid, I don't get that anyway so I wouldn't expect any help in that department by wearing shiny things hahaha. But a good observation nonetheless.

Usually my personal policy for half marathon or more is: I wear the medal for the rest of the day, then it goes around one of my beer steins at home and stays there on display.

Thanks all for the thoughts, and have a happy Thanksgiving!

• bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Ok if there were no medal and they just shook your hand and said good job would you still run? Or do you need the medal and praise from everyone who sees it?

I thought this was interesting 2020 and I would have responded in a private message but I can't seem to do it on my phone. Thanks for posing the question it made me think about what motivates me to do these runs. Here are my thoughts in response:

If they just said "good job thanks for coming out." I wouldn't run. My motivations for running in events are the (usually) comfy running shirts, free swag bags, cool looking finishing medals, and most importantly the free beer.

I do like doing the charity runs also, as well as meeting people at the event so it's a nice chance to socialize with people who share a common interest :)

Thanks again all who responded with your thoughts on medal wear and displays. I appreciate the input!