Healthy curry recipes??

Options
Hey there,

I'm looking to make my own homemade curry dish for the first time (although I'll be using a semi-healthy bottled sauce that I found at the store because I'm short on time) but just wondering what are some good add ins? Obviously the bed of quinoa/rice that the curry goes over top, but what kind of vegetables and such go well with curry?
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• CombatGirl93
    CombatGirl93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I normally use peppers, red onions, spring onions..I even sneak in some baby corn and mangetout sometimes!!! Delish!! <3
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas, eggplant, red peppers, onion, spinach, kale, cauliflower, potatoes
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Without knowing what sort of curry you are planning it is hard to say. Light tomato based sauces seem best with 'heavy' veg and heavy creamy sauces always seem best with lighter veg (personal preference I suspect, but that's the way they seem to make them in Asia)

Sweet potatoes (or any root vegetable), cauliflower, onions, carrots, lentils and any pulse are fantastic with tomato based sauces (but let the curry sit for 24 hours before eating so the flavours steep into the veg).

Broccoli, peas, endame, cauliflower, onions, bell peppers, eggplant and sweet corn are great with the creamier sauces and no need to let the finished curry sit for more than a couple of hours
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    I usually fry sliced courgette, chunks of sweet peppers, celery, carrots sliced into strips, maybe a few baby sweetcorn, mangetout, a few peas or fine green beans, then add tinned chickpeas or kidney beans before the sauce. Lentils and cooked diced sweet potato go in too, if I've got time to prepare them first.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    What kind of vegetables go well with curry? Your favorites :)

My Thai cookbook has:
    • Red curry with chicken and red peppers
    • Red curry with beef, onions, green peppers and red peppers
    • Green curry with chicken, eggplant and bamboo
    • Mussamun curry with steak and no veg (my Thai restaurant in Florida added potatoes and avocado and the one here in MA adds zucchini, carrots, potatoes, and onions and spells it Massaman)
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My favourite vegetables with curry are cauliflower, spinach, lentils, chickpeas - aubergine is also good and, if you like it, okra.
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Allrecipe's apple curry is really good with an added block of golden curry sauce :) other than that I'm clueless about most curries