help! i smoke and want to quit asap

Options

Replies

• samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You know what I think you hit the nail on the head right there!

For a while I knew I wanted to do it, so I did spend a lot of time working it into my subconscious. Eventually it must have stuck!

• _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I smoked real cigs for twenty plus years now I vape full nicotine and no plans to quit that. The difference is great. There is no tar or additives. Nicotiene is not bad for you it is like caffiene.

There is no data on vaping yet so we dont know if it is bad for us per se.

I can tell you i feel milestones better. I can run and I smell better!!! Plus it so SOOOOOO much cheaper!!!!!! No odor no ash!!!!! And it gives me the feels I need just like smoking with out the nastiness.

It is not quitting but an alternative, you can try the step down method as mentioned above.

Get a variable voltage vaporizing cigarette with premium liquids, i use halo. The initial start up cost is great but once u are up and running it is cheap!

Good luck!

Normally I would just not say anything, but please don't spew bad info like this on a health and fitness website, because it isn't true.

Nicotine is absolutely bad for you, hands down. There are tons of doucmented tests. Vaping is better than smoking for sure, but not vaping at all is better than vaping: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#Adverse_effects

Also there are mutliple links to the propylene glycol (aka engine coolant) found in e-liquid with hearing loss (several research links at bottom of page): hearingreview.com/2015/07/can-e-cigarettes-cause-hearing-loss/
  • jock7
    jock7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try the vapour 3 cigarette i have been stopped for 2 month nw i have previously stopped for 6 month will power but these are great i have put weight on what i culdnt b4 and saved a fortune and feel great in myself
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    4+ years with vaping. Love it, can't see myself ever stopping because it completely handles the hand-to-mouth habit that was the killing point for me every time I tried to quit in the past.

However you choose to quit that allows you to stay that way is the best! Good luck!
  • thereplay
    thereplay Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I smoked since my teens, for about 15 years (god it sounds awful at this point). it started at a pack a week and crept up... I went through a breakup with my GF my second year in college it instantly went up to a pack a day.

I kept that pace for a long time even after we got back together.

For a couple years I rented an apartment with no smoking. I tried getting away with it by exhausting it out the window, but my landlord caught on and confronted me about it, so i stopped smoking indoors. Well, almost, every now and then I would light up indoors and take two or three drags, maybe once a week if i didnt feel like going outside. He caught on to that also and confronted me again. so never again did i smoke indoors. I would normally come home around 4pm, and leave my cigs in the car. To get them I would have to put on a pair of pants, a pair of shoes, go out in the cold and smoke outside... it was more effort than it was worth so i just stopped smoking after work until the next morning.

I realized it wasnt all that hard, and now instead of a pack a day I was smoking more like a third of a pack. When the weekends came and I went to my primary home in another state, i went back up to almost a pack a day.

But I knew, i KNEW, it didnt have to be that way. if I can get through 14 hours of not smoking without pain, I could quit.

So at a random checkup with my doctor he asked me if I smoked and asked me if i wanted to quit... to which i replied yes of course i did. He told me about chantix (which i already knew about). I asked him about the dreams, and he said basically this.... if you have PTSD, paranoia, mental problems, etc..., then nightmares can be a problem.

But he said if you dreams are just normal dream, or if you are superman in them, they they are just going to get more vivid.

I generally dont have nightmares and enjoyed the vivid dreams, they tapered off after the first few weeks and now its just for the most part normal.

anyways putting that aside... Chantix is about as close to a miracle drug as can be, but it WONT quit for you. Like anything else you need to provide your own motivation and you need to WANT to quit. For me it was the scary thought of my health, telling myself you have smoked long enough, asking myself why i was losing all this weight if I still couldnt breathe, etc... just in general telling myself my motivation was an all time high and this is the time to quit.

My quit date was at the back end of the time period, and unfortunately it fell on a week that i took time off from work.. so i overlapped my date by 5 days. But on the monday morning, i smoked my last cigarette in the pack and told myself i would not buy another and i would not ask for another.

The hardest most intense craving i had since was that very first day was when i got in my car to drive home, that was one of the high points... im done with work and i can just drive home relaxed puffing on a cig. After that the it was more breaking routine rather than cravings. after about two weeks i felt confident to go back outside and chat it up with my smoke buddies at the smoking lounge without fearing a craving. Honestly i didnt have a problem doing it, no cravings, was still taking the pill twice a day.

I dont think I ever actually tried to quit prior to this... one time i gave a half assed attempt when a friend died of lung cancer, but it only last for a weekend.

I still get the routine craving/dejavu craving at infrequent times, but they are now very easy to dispel.

My advice give chantix a shot, put forth a determined effort.

• Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I quit by cutting down ... cigarette by cigarette until I was left with only one at the end of the day (my after work smoke) now wouldn't you know - that was the hardest to let go of .

I used e- cigarettes (the ones without nicotine - to help with hand to mouth )
    I ate an apple on the way home from work everyday to help not smoke while driving
    I took up jogging 5 nights a week and found it easier not to smoke after I completed healthy exercise
    I avoided my 'smoking friends' for two months (wasn't easy but they understood)
    and I kept busy !

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Where to start
    I have tried patches,e cigarettes. Chinese herbal therapy, sprays and going cold turkey

I ride 10-20 miles a day do at least 2 hours of intense exercise a day

I do not run as I really don't like it I do multiple sprints with jogging for a 1km interval and again the smoking has an effect on my breathing but not so much

To everyone that knows me they say that guys strong/ fit etc

But inside I'm far from healthy and would like to change that asap any tips or tricks to help me would be deeply appreciated

Many thanks in advance
    Once you make the decision to WANT to truly quit, then quit cold turkey. The issue with most people who don't quit is that they aren't really committed to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have to remind people at work that importance is not the same as urgency. It is very, very important to quit smoking. Don't wait like my dad did. I'll lose him soon to COPD.

The diagnosis and the patch, plus three months of grumpiness, did it for my dad. I suggest you skip the first step and go straight to two and three. Try the patch again and brace yourself and your loved-ones for the grumpiness. I also suggest you put the money you save in a jar every day, and use it to buy yourself something special after three months.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    thereplay wrote: »
    He told me about chantix (which i already knew about). I asked him about the dreams, and he said basically this.... if you have PTSD, paranoia, mental problems, etc..., then nightmares can be a problem.

But he said if you dreams are just normal dream, or if you are superman in them, they they are just going to get more vivid.

I generally dont have nightmares and enjoyed the vivid dreams, they tapered off after the first few weeks and now its just for the most part normal.

anyways putting that aside... Chantix is about as close to a miracle drug as can be, but it WONT quit for you. Like anything else you need to provide your own motivation and you need to WANT to quit. For me it was the scary thought of my health, telling myself you have smoked long enough, asking myself why i was losing all this weight if I still couldnt breathe, etc... just in general telling myself my motivation was an all time high and this is the time to quit.

My quit date was at the back end of the time period, and unfortunately it fell on a week that i took time off from work.. so i overlapped my date by 5 days. But on the monday morning, i smoked my last cigarette in the pack and told myself i would not buy another and i would not ask for another.

The hardest most intense craving i had since was that very first day was when i got in my car to drive home, that was one of the high points... im done with work and i can just drive home relaxed puffing on a cig. After that the it was more breaking routine rather than cravings. after about two weeks i felt confident to go back outside and chat it up with my smoke buddies at the smoking lounge without fearing a craving. Honestly i didnt have a problem doing it, no cravings, was still taking the pill twice a day.

I dont think I ever actually tried to quit prior to this... one time i gave a half assed attempt when a friend died of lung cancer, but it only last for a weekend.

I still get the routine craving/dejavu craving at infrequent times, but they are now very easy to dispel.

My advice give chantix a shot, put forth a determined effort.

I smoked for about the same amount of time at a steady pack to pack and a half a day and this is almost exactly my experience with Chantix. It's been 3 years now and when those craving/deja vu feelings are infrequent enough at this point that they make me realize it's been a while since the last one.
  • Al48feelingreat
    Al48feelingreat Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow so many answers, I kinda had a epic moment this morning. Did what I usually do before I start work. I always make sure I have extra pack of cigarettes.well I dropped them while climbing my tower crane.it's kinda good timing as I saw a nutritionist last night.we had a hour consultation and was meant to send me details of smoking and how it damages the digestion.I climb up and down the crane two times looking for these cigarettes and then it hit me.I really don't want them.climb my crane. Calmly got in the cab and have been operating with no tobacco rage.
  • kpwright89
    kpwright89 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Self control and willpower
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 20 years, tried every method to quit (the vape wasn't around then). Turns out I am a pure nicotine junkie and once I set my mind to it I found what worked. I tried Chantix (it makes you physically sick when you smoke if you take enough) but had to go off because of side effects. But what I did get was a disgusted feeling that I still hang onto now over 6 years later! I basically did it cold turkey after that, and was a ball of emotions! Crying, yelling, swearing, throwing things at my husband for making dumb comments...but after a short time, the light came and I would never go back!! The light IS there! Be ready, take some time off for yourself, at least 5 days I think, and prepare for a ride that will end in a MUCH calmer existence!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Wow so many answers, I kinda had a epic moment this morning. Did what I usually do before I start work. I always make sure I have extra pack of cigarettes.well I dropped them while climbing my tower crane.it's kinda good timing as I saw a nutritionist last night.we had a hour consultation and was meant to send me details of smoking and how it damages the digestion.I climb up and down the crane two times looking for these cigarettes and then it hit me.I really don't want them.climb my crane. Calmly got in the cab and have been operating with no tobacco rage.

That's great! Good luck to you. :)

• FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Well done man. Also make sure you ask/tell your buddies that they are not allowed to give you a smoke if you ask for one. Also ask them to not offer you a smoke.

That way the main temptation you have to avoid is buying them yourself. For the next week or so, unless you HAVE you carry cash or your cards, pre-prep all your meals at home and don't take cash out with you.

Your should be in essence cut off from the ability to get a quick hit from friends or buying a pack. The first week or so is meant to be the hardest. Get through that and your well on your way.

Good luck!
  • cindytw
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Well done man. Also make sure you ask/tell your buddies that they are not allowed to give you a smoke if you ask for one. Also ask them to not offer you a smoke.

That way the main temptation you have to avoid is buying them yourself. For the next week or so, unless you HAVE you carry cash or your cards, pre-prep all your meals at home and don't take cash out with you.

Your should be in essence cut off from the ability to get a quick hit from friends or buying a pack. The first week or so is meant to be the hardest. Get through that and your well on your way.

Good luck!

Good point, I agree!! I locked myself in the house with no money or cards! I did have car keys, but nothing else! I made my husband, who still smokes unfortunately, leave his at work for the first week.
  • motivccess
    motivccess Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one mentioned prescription Wellbutrin (bupropion)...heard it helps. never smoked myself so wouldn't know.
  • cindytw
    edited November 2015
    Options
    motivccess wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one mentioned prescription Wellbutrin (bupropion)...heard it helps. never smoked myself so wouldn't know.

Tried it, never did a thing for me. Its basically an antidepressant. So if you are not smoking because you are depressed...not gonna work.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    If I can do it, you can too,, but you HAVE TO WANT IT BAD.. and when you get to that point, it happens.
  • cindytw
    Options
    If I can do it, you can too,, but you HAVE TO WANT IT BAD.. and when you get to that point, it happens.

Yes and you have to be willing to suffer short term. Many smokers cannot suffer one minute! I know a few who just aren't willing to get past it.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    motivccess wrote: »

Tried it, never did a thing for me. Its basically an antidepressant. So if you are not smoking because you are depressed...not gonna work.

That's incorrect. In addition to its antidepressant properties, bupropion also decreases the severity of nicotine cravings and eases the withdrawal process. It has nothing to do with a depression/tobacco link.