Is Chicken Noodle soup healthy?

Options
I was going to a sushi restaurant and I wanted to take soup first, and i guess it's not instant so it is healthy, right?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Even instant is fine. It's soup. Plus, chicken noodle soup has magical healing powers.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    It has chicken, how bad can it be?
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's not bad - just high in salt if out of a can.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on one food as being healthy or not. You should look at your overall diet - variety, lots of fresh stuff, greens. Within an overall healthy diet - chicken noodle soup is going to be great!

If it was all you ate, every day, not so much.

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    SURE!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Healthy diet not healthy food

Chicken noodle soup I assume would have protein, carbs and some fats in it

Also Jewish Penicillin I believe
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by healthy?
  • keeliehanna
    keeliehanna Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Always keep an eye on sodium. If u have low blood pressure u can afford to eat more sodium. Fresh n homemade soup is easy and healthy... Its considered a ' healing - feel- better- food.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Yes, unless you are allergic to a particular ingredient or they've slipped poison into the soup then it is "healthy". It has nutrients. Even instant soup has some nutrients and can thus be part of a healthy diet. Does it have the particular nutrients you want that day? Depends on what else you are eating and your goals.

Labeling food healthy or unhealthy is not a very helpful mindset. If you are specifically looking for foods that are a certain number of calories, low sodium, high protein, full of vitamin A, no food dyes, etc that is different than vaguely saying something is "healthy".
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had a high blood sugar moment after a simple lunch with chicken soup and a bun. I moaned to my dietitian, "Why?????" She explained that soup is very low calorie and I just hadn't given my body enough (protein) to work with.

Chicken soup is great. Chicken soup with extra chicken is greater.
  • brandid34
    brandid34 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of homemade soups because they are easy to make anyone can make them and you can control what goes in them. Anything from can tends to have a lot of salt. A basic chicken noodle soup can be added to and changes however you it to whatever your diet needs. Add more chicken and quinoa instead of noodles if you need more protein or add more veggies less veggies try parsnip instead of carrot. Etc. lots of versatility.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @salmaaarafaa not sure if you are talking about home made, restaurant made, or canned. Note the serving size here is 1/2 cup. I don't eat foods with MSG or soy protein isolate, but that's me.

9624c374b25e460d841eee75e3773fca.png

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    "healthy" requires context and looking at your diet as a whole. eating in such a way that you are getting proper nutrition (vitamins, minerals, dietary fat, protein, carbohydrates, etc) is "healthy"...individual food items may have more or less inherent nutrition but you really have to look at these things in the context of the whole.
  • dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    What? No way! Save room for SUSHI!
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    One thing you will learn quickly here, is that no food is inherently bad. eating too many leads to weight gain. Skewing daily macros significantly will effect overall health if this becomes a pattern of behavior in the long term. One food item, no matter what it is, can fit perfectly into a healthy diet.
    So yes, chicken soup is fine. As you are logging, make sure you are close to your daily macro goals...enjoy.
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was very ill this past summer. It was Coke & wonton soup that kept me going.