Progress even with ADD/Depression...And go!

Options
What small steps have worked for you while waiting to get past the depression piece?

Replies

• OMG can we connect please!!!
  • Remilia_Scarlet
    Remilia_Scarlet Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I also have depression and ADHD. It's a real struggle, but what helps me is keeping a small list of goals for each day. Exercise is also extremely important-- it's the only thing that clears my head. It doesn't really help my depression, but burning through my energy helps me focus and keeps me from getting jittery. Though I guess I do feel better about myself when I'm able to complete tasks without zoning out or pacing. Lots of people say that exercise directly improves their mood, though, so YMMV!

Overall: be kind to yourself. Hold yourself accountable and practice self-care. This is a good resource: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6A2F5ky9SELU0Zfd05YMEpyNUk/view?pli=1
  • takingcareofus
    takingcareofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I also have depression and ADHD. It's a real struggle, but what helps me is keeping a small list of goals for each day. Exercise is also extremely ..."

Hi, Remilla :) How do you fit in self care if the day is haphazard - no time is set for cooking, cleaning up, excercizing?

• takingcareofus
    Options
    Sure thing!
  • Remilia_Scarlet
    Remilia_Scarlet Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi, Remilla :) How do you fit in self care if the day is haphazard - no time is set for cooking, cleaning up, excercizing?

If I don't have time to do everything I need to do, I arrange my goals in order of importance and do what I can. Meds are always at the top of the list. If I have to choose between taking my meds and doing literally anything else, meds win.

Food is next. I'm very terrible about cooking and cleaning, so I tend to mostly eat easy things that don't require much energy. Granola bars, celery/carrots, yogurt, toast, etc. etc. It isn't perfect, but it's quick and nutritious, and I know I'm better off grabbing a clif bar than having a breakdown and not eating at all because cooking is too hard.

Cleaning and exercise are mostly on the same tier. I try to do both, but I don't beat myself up if I can only do one per day. I try to minimize cleaning by trying not to make messes in the first place, but things like laundry are inevitable.

For me, it isn't about finding time to exercise, so much as I try to substitute exercise for other destructive behaviors. Whenever I want to do something that I know is unhealthy, I'll tell myself to run first. If I still feel terrible after running, I'll tell myself that I can still do the destructive thing, but I will ONLY do it AFTER. I'm a little odd in that it doesn't seem to help me feel any better (meds don't make me feel better, either...), but if nothing else, it makes me too tired to do anything bad. Avoiding destructive behaviors is just as important as promoting productive ones, IMO.
  • takingcareofus
    Options
    Hi. That's definitely the kind of advice I was hoping if hear. I want to look that over again later for it to sink
    In better. Thank you!