Losing Motivation and will rapidly here, any advise

Options
Hi guys, really struggling with my 'journey' its, ive lost 35lbs so far and have 3 to go, this was my own milestone, realistically I know I should be going lower but after recent weeks activity I dont think I will manage it.

Basically ive remained the same weight for the last month, and it is killing me, I cant accept my calories are too high, im even coming in below most days, and never over, im at the gym 3 times min a week, doing C.V and dont eat the cals back.

I have though lost track on the last 3 saturday nights, when ive had family parties and the first round of christmas nights out.. I know its only november :) but even then I couldnt say I really fell of the wagon and hit every rock rolling down the hill...

Im getting desperate now, the only thing thats keept me going this last few weeks is the thought of getting to maint and being able to up my cals a little.

I have accepted that this is life long for me, but sitting on 1650 calories for the rest of my life does not seem right.

Replies

• Paul699
    Paul699 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ive just re-entered my goals, and changed my life style to sedentary and my cals have been reduced further to 1490 per day. I will try for a week and see what happens, I think for a bloke it seems low, but I am old and have a desk based job. The only activity I have is my 3 gym sessions per week, daily 30 minute walks which ive been trying to do this week at lunch time, and dog walking if my wife doesn't beat me to it.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    You have just three pounds to go? Don't make yourself miserable and probably less than fully functional trying to shave off 10k calories. Are you able to do resistance training? If so, you'd be able to eat more and see changes. Forget the # on the scale.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to lose the last 3 pounds. Maybe 3 months? I can't remember. That's because I just forgot the pounds and kept working on what I was going to do when I hit maintenance. Eventually I lost them and more.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Insufficient data. Specify height, weight, age, sex, % body fat. Goal.....
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Paul, if you've got 3 lbs to go and you've already lost 35, you already won.

There's a number of things to consider, whether that's to increase activity or decrease calories (or both), or bring calories up to estimated maintenance for an extended period to give yourself some breathing room (diet break).

I'd also encourage you to use a variety of metrics and get a bit less weight-focused. How you feel, how clothes fit, body measurements, athletic performance, habit development, photographs, etc.

Using multiple metrics will provide you opportunity to receive positive feedback, positive feedback will motivate you and keep you going.

I don't know enough about you and your history to suggest what to do of the above options, but don't rule out a 2 week break at maintenance calories.

• morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Paul, if you've got 3 lbs to go and you've already lost 35, you already won.

There's a number of things to consider, whether that's to increase activity or decrease calories (or both), or bring calories up to estimated maintenance for an extended period to give yourself some breathing room (diet break).

I'd also encourage you to use a variety of metrics and get a bit less weight-focused. How you feel, how clothes fit, body measurements, athletic performance, habit development, photographs, etc.

Using multiple metrics will provide you opportunity to receive positive feedback, positive feedback will motivate you and keep you going.

I don't know enough about you and your history to suggest what to do of the above options, but don't rule out a 2 week break at maintenance calories.

SideSteel knows his stuff. Take his words to heart. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Last year I started feeling burnt out around this time although I was still about 10 lbs from goal (I had lost a lot and started back in late Jan '14). Rather than pretending to keep a deficit and then blowing it at some point during the week, which was frustrating, I ended up just raising my calories to maintenance from Thanksgiving through New Years. It was a nice diet break, I immediately felt more relaxed about everything, and good practice at maintenance. In January I was ready to get back to it and lost 5 lbs that month.

I've lowered my goal a bit since then, but have also been enjoying focusing on other fitness goals. What's I'd say is that taking a break for a while, even a long while, does not mean you are settling, as you can keep working on fitness and get back to it at any time. There's also something to be said for figuring out what your maintenance calories are.