Water Weight

Options
How much water weight can you put on i probably drink 10 bottles or more a day. Thanks

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    A lot or a little.
    It doesn't have much to do with how much water you drink but rather with reasons to retain. For example having a lot of sodium in your system or recovering muscles from a heavy workout.
    I can easily hold on to 2+ lbs of water the day after an intense workout.

Also,actually drinking a lot og water will help you flush water from your system. So you might retain only a little water.

Why do you want to know?
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    How much water weight can you put on i probably drink 10 bottles or more a day. Thanks
    Drinking water does not make you retain water, aka "water weight." Gaining water weight is usually the result of excess amounts of sodium in the diet, or for women because of the menstrual cycle. :)
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I spent a week in Disney and gained 9lbs of water weight from all the process foods (all meals), increased simple carbs (hard not to), dehydration (couldn't keep up) and that's with walking tons everyday.
    When I got back I ate nothing processed, limited simple carbs, increased my water and workout out. I dropped it 5 days.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Drinking water, oddly enough, actually helps remove excess water retention due to sodium.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Drinking water, oddly enough, actually helps remove excess water retention due to sodium.

This!

If you have a tendency to retain water, drinking more will actually help.

The usual causes of retaining water:
    • Higher sodium than your usual
    • Higher carbs than your usual (NOT carbs in general, just having a high carb day compared to your normal routine)
    • Hormone fluctuations
    • Hot weather
    • Dehydration
    • Kidney or circulation issues (water weight tends to accumulate in the lower legs for this one. Dr. visit is needed)

PS: I would be more concerned with the 10 bottles a day. Have you considered getting a filter pitcher or a dispenser? Much less waste and it would be cheaper. Save the bottles for times where you won't be close to good drinkable water.