What do you do when you know you will be hungry before you can get home?

Options
In some places it is ok to bring food to have as a snack. In other places there is no place where it is ok to eat. I've brought things like apple slices and eaten them in the bathroom before but isn't there a better option?

I don't want to come home starving because then I won't eat anything but lots of cheese. Yet I don't want to eat in bathrooms and don't want to be starving anywhere-My mood is lousy and it is too much of an effort to be polite when hungry, much less starving.

This looks like a great support group. Looking forward to knowing more of you and more about here.

Replies

• lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    can you give an example where its not ok to eat .. meaning that you are forced to eat in the bathroom???
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I carry a protein bar in my bag for emergencies. You can eat such a bar while walking home.
  • plantedinpots
    plantedinpots Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    lara bars are my go-to. they only have like 2 ingredients, too. they're not messy and take about a minute to eat. i do have to question why you're being forced to eat apple slices in the bathroom, though. surely you can eat somewhere else? making health a priority, to me, means making changes you can stick with in the long term. i don't see bathroom eating fitting into a long term plan, because for me personally i'd be too grossed out to even try to snack in healthier ways if it means i'm doing it in a stall. why not snack in your car/public transport on the way to your house?
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    V8 is my favorite way to stave off hunger for a while. You can keep a six-pack in the car without refrigeration, or pick one up at any grocery store and most convenience stores if you're on the road. A V8 before any meal moderates my appetite, so I'm less likely to overeat.
  • Strivingforhealth12
    Options
    I keep a 1 oz. baggie of roasted almonds in my purse "for an emergency".
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    What place is it not okay to eat when you need to eat? The bathroom would be a place I would call NOT okay for eating. I always take snacks with me when I am going to be gone all day. Having some apples with me to eat sometimes curbs the desire to stop at a Mcdonald's. Mostly I just plan for a certain amount of calories to stop and get a hot lunch even if fast food is going to be my only option.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Don't you have a couple minutes when you are at least in transit, driving in a car, on a train...when you can have an apple or a protein bar? I'm just a little confused. Maybe you can elaborate.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Eat a couple of cookies.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Protein shake is very discreet. I have my second one mid-afternoon.
  • alireymurrell
    alireymurrell Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    what kind of protein shake do you have mid afternoon? I try to save my smoothies for mid afternoon when I get hungry but they are nowhere near as good as when I first blend them.
  • WarriorPrincess1
    WarriorPrincess1 Posts: 7 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I keep nuts in my purse in case of emergency. They have protein, carbs, and fat, so you won't be in the situation where you have a super healthy, low calorie snack to stave off hunger in the moment and then be ravenous for something fatty later. It works for me anyway.
  • UhuraST
    UhuraST Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The idea of nuts sounds good. I love nuts and could easily eat to many. Is one type healthier/fewer calories and fat than another? Most nuts aren't filling to me though. I also would like to know what type of protein shake Psychgrrl has or if anyone else has favorites, then what type you eat/drink. I have never found Lara bars filling. The only protein bars I find filling are full of sugar.

I spend a lot of time at the library, the main place I shouldn't eat. I cannot drive so a car isn't an option and I don't like V8. I have a friend take me to do errands (her errands too) and we do them all at once. Takes about 3 hours and with fibromyalgia I end up in pain, exhausted, and in no shape to make anything to eat when I get home. Unless I stuff myself before leaving though, I end up hungry. I'm too broke to constantly be buying protein bars so need something I can bring from home, get her to let me have in her car, etc.

Other question-if someone gives you something to eat, what do you do? I can refuse at times of course. But what about gifts that you don't know the nutritional value of? Like potluck where there are usually cheese blocks, fruit and vegetable plates, etc. I can't spend all the time focusing on and counting what I eat.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I try to keep some nuts in the car, office and at home that I can grab in times like that.
  • bethclabburn
    bethclabburn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Me and my husband do a food shop on Saturdays, get home and cook everything we've just bought, then portion it up into tubs and stick them in the fridge, then that's lunch and dinner for two done for the week.
    We find this extra convenient for when we're tired wen getting home as you just have to stick a box in the microwave for a few minutes.

I think nuts is a great idea too we often snack on a handful of nuts while out and about.

For me I find drinking loads of water too

:smile: best of luck
  • debbiewsharpe
    debbiewsharpe Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    100 calorie packs of nuts are very convenient, protein bars, apples, peanut butter sandwich, banana,many easy things to carry that do not require refrigeration. I also keep bottled water in my truck. Plan ahead is most important. But why do you need to go in the restroom to eat?????
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    UhuraST wrote: »
    I spend a lot of time at the library, the main place I shouldn't eat.

Can you go for a walk around the block and eat your apple slices then? Or walk to a park?

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yogurt, cottage cheese, nuts, you can make your own protein shakes, peanut butter on fruit . . .

I order Zone bars and Clif bars from amazon in bulk (about $1/bar, but you can find cheaper ones) and you can get a pretty decent protein powder online or in a store.

I eat about 30 minutes before I leave work and drink water if I know it's going to be a late night. Also, I try and stop and make sure to eat lunch and breakfast on days that might be nuts. On late days, I know I wont have time to cook, so dinner is a sandwich or sometimes just a snack. I definitely don't have it all figured out, but planning is key.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you wouldn't just leave the building for 5 minutes so that you can eat an apple or something. The toilet is the last place I think I'd eat.
    My list of foods I keep in my car and handbag.
    Brazil nuts
    Quest bar
    Apples
    Pepperami (Aldis version though)
    Cup of soup powder
    Protein powder
    Carrots
  • cog62
    cog62 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    These are some great ideas. I didn't post the question, but browsing around, I happened to read and realize this will be a big help since I drive a school bus and don't get home till 6pm.
  • UhuraST
    UhuraST Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The library isn't a place where people can just sit down and eat.