Weight fluctuating

Options
Hi everyone

I have been using my fitness pal on and off for almost a year. I followed the weighless diet and lost over 12 kilos (26 pounds) in 9 months but put on about 5kg (11 pounds) of that! I have now started doing the weighless diet again and eating more protien - so Im not having bread, cereal, potatoes, rice etc. Mostly fruit (apples) and vegetables.

Now I have lost a total of 2.8kgs (6 or 7 pounds) in 8 weeks which is painfully slow compared with what I lost before. I am currently walking on the treadmill at a speed of 5.8kmph (3.6mph) and jogging on 7 (4.3mph) for 30 minutes to 50 minutes on alternating days. (I walk 2 minutes, jog 1 minute) and on the other days I do the Jillian micheals 30 day shred with 2kg weights (4.4 pound weights) and have a rest day once per week.

Some days I weigh and I have lost 0.7 and other days I weigh and I am back up. I am not eating back calories earned in daily exercise

Once per week I do have 'one cheat meal" which is usually one (not all) of the following: a slice of pizza/1 serving of curry (home made no pototoes, no rice)/4 blocks of chocolate/2 glasses of wine and then I am back on my diet.

Has anyone else had the same problem with not losing or weight fluctuation? What am I doing wrong here?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    weight fluctuation is perfectly normal and is one of the reasons that you should not weight every day. I weight in once a week at the same time with no clothes on.

Why are you not eating bread, cereal, rice,etc?

Weight loss is about calorie deficit not food type.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    body weight isn't static...it fluctuates...you're always going to have more/less waste in your system...water retention/release, fluctuations do to hormonal changes, etc...it's NATURAL...that's how the human body works.
  • shelleysykeskeene
    shelleysykeskeene Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Why are you not eating bread, cereal, rice,etc?

Weight loss is about calorie deficit not food type.

Hi Ndj1979, I decided to drop carbs because I feel so terrible after eating them - I always bloat and get cramps - especially after cereal (bran flakes) and bread (any type) and cutting that out has eliminated my cramping/bloating. As for rice - I am just not a fan :/

The night before my weighless meetings I always weigh in at home just out of curiosity - sometimes its exactly the same as at the meeting the next day but sometimes it is less. For the last 2 weeks I have remained the same weight at meetings which is just so frustrating - especially considering that I lost more weight when I was not exercising and now that I am the weight wont budge :'(

• melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You don't need to be on a special diet program to lose weight, though. Especially if you don't think it's working very efficiently... You could just eat any foods while keeping to a calorie deficit. You could even indulge in your favorite things every day, if you just make the calories fit!

Eating super healthy and "clean" foods with no carbs is not a guarantee to lose weight.
  • charlesmauch
    charlesmauch Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If my salt/potassium intake gets hugely imbalanced, I gain water weight like crazy. If I eat a bunch of extra carbs on top of a salt imbalance, I'll sometimes see a change of more than 10lbs over a 24 to 48 hour period. If I get my diet back in line, I'll see the weight return to "normal" over a few days.

Ignore the fluctuations and focus on the trend.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Your rate of loss is perfectly fine, safe and sustainable. If your weight loss stall has coincided with starting exercising and you track your calories accurately (weighing and measuring) then it's just water weight from the exercise. My weight bounces all over the place, I was 3lbs over my last low for over two weeks then whoosh 2lbs below my lowest weight in two days. I don't panic because I know I retain water very easily.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Weight fluctuation is not a problem, it is reality for nearly everyone. Hopefully if you've on MFP for nearly a year, you will have read the sticky posts at the top of each forum that explain this and followed similar threads where fluctuations and weightloss have been discussed at length. If you haven't done this yet, I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you to do so!
  • mysherman
    mysherman Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If my salt/potassium intake gets hugely imbalanced, I gain water weight like crazy. If I eat a bunch of extra carbs on top of a salt imbalance, I'll sometimes see a change of more than 10lbs over a 24 to 48 hour period. If I get my diet back in line, I'll see the weight return to "normal" over a few days.

Ignore the fluctuations and focus on the trend.

this is really motivating.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There are no "rules" as to how often one should weigh oneself, but it you do weigh yourself, you have to accept the fluctuations. They are not easy to understand or predict, but accept them anyway :#

If the diet you were on didn't work (=you put on weight after you were "done"), why not try a different approach this time? Like not have an "end point". Lifestyle changes are for life ;) Your weight loss rate is fine.

Protein is good for health and satiety, but that doesn't mean you can't eat starchy foods, just watch the total calories.
  • shelleysykeskeene
    shelleysykeskeene Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, this weight loss stall has coincided with starting exercising and after reading comments and past threads (thanks lorrpb!) I am also thinking its just water weight.

I do track calories and have even reduced them from 1500 to 1200. Everyone has commented that I have lost and I am looking smaller, firmer etc so I am just going to push through - no giving up now! A friend of mine put on about 11 lbs as she has been weight training but she looks better than ever. So I am just going to stop watching the scale and start measuring instead