Stress and weight loss

Options
Is anyone having a hard time losing weight that has a lot of stress in their lives?

Thanks,
Sandra

Replies

• FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot
    FiiiiFiiiFlowerTot Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I found when I was stressed I lost a lot of weight, I think it all depends what kind of stress and how it affects your appetite.... Mine was a bad break up with a long term partner and I just couldn't really eat as always felt queasy.... Everyone's different I guess :)
  • Sandra448
    Sandra448 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My appetite isn't the issue. I am more concerned about the effects of cortisol on my weight loss journey which seems to be a roller coaster. I consider myself to have a generalized anxiety disorder and feel anxious all the time.
  • Missustruth
    Missustruth Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Stress sucks. I have a tendency to stress eat. Also, getting adequate amounts of sleep helps. The weight hangs around if I'm sleep deprived but will cone off better with sleep. Best of luck.
  • Sandra448
    Sandra448 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Sandra448 wrote: »
    My appetite isn't the issue. I am more concerned about the effects of cortisol on my weight loss journey which seems to be a roller coaster. I consider myself to have a generalized anxiety disorder and feel anxious all the time.

@Sandra448 cortisol can be an issue. With any autoimmune problems like arthritis in my case stress makes everything harder including weight loss. When I cut out all grains and most all sugars over a year ago my pain levels dropped like a rock within 30 days and the weight loss restarted in 45 days. While I did it for pain manage it does help other kind of stresses some report.

Welcome to MFP forums and best of success.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Sandra448 wrote: »

Have you spoken to your doctor about this? It's a tough way to live because it affects everything in your life. Have you considered cognitive behavioral therapy or medication?
  • marsh5224
    marsh5224 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting as I too am living with a lot of stress the past few weeks and haven't lost any weight in weeks despite daily exercise and living in a calorie deficit. Met with my dietitian on Friday as she introduced me to this subject. Very frustrating!
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It is a good relationship thing

Some eat when stressed

Some eat as a reward

Some eat when bored

My issue was my relationship with food, not what I ate.
  • mysherman
    mysherman Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    "what are other ways to quickly feel good when you're dealing with stress other than food?" is a question to try to ask oneself when in this scenario