Macro goals for diabetis type2?

Options
Hi

Does anyone have suggestions on good macro goals for type2 diabetis (using metformin). For now I have taken the standard goals in MFP and adjusted the protein percentage up at the expense of Carbs in hope of building muscle

I could stand to loose about 3-4kg of fat but my BMI is still within the "normal" range

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    20 % carbs from modest GI wholefood sources can help reduce the blood glucose levels that can lead to complications, maybe 30%. Fat will need to rise to make 100% as protein tends to top out around 35%.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hi

Does anyone have suggestions on good macro goals for type2 diabetis (using metformin). For now I have taken the standard goals in MFP and adjusted the protein percentage up at the expense of Carbs in hope of building muscle

I could stand to loose about 3-4kg of fat but my BMI is still within the "normal" range

Speak to your doctor or the Registered Dietician you see for specifics related to your situation. The majority of Certified Diabetic Educators will tell their patients to eat a maximum of 180 grams of total carbohydrates (some say 150 but 180 is more common) and divide up the protein and fat in a way that is satisfying to you. How 180 grams divides up into percentages depends on your actual calorie goal.

Personally, my macros are set to 35% carbs, 35% Protein, and 30% fat with a max of 180 g of carbs no matter how many exercise calories I earn. I was diagnosed T2Dm in January, 2014 and was able to get off the glipizide (I started with metformin but my kidneys did not like it) in 9 months with A1C readings staying around 5.3. I just had labs done last week and my A1C is down to 5.0 now.

No matter what anyone tells you, there is no reason to go low carb or keto unless it is ordered by your doctor because of your individual situation.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yes - you definitely want to lower carbs below 100, below 50 even better!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hi

Yes. Good plan. :)

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For now I have taken the standard goals in MFP and adjusted the protein percentage up at the expense of Carbs in hope of building muscle.

Many replace carbs with fat which will not affect blood sugar. As a general rule, a diet lower in carbs and higher in fats is a very effective way to stabilize and lower blood glucose.

I follow Dr R. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution book. He is a doctor who is also T1D whose LCHF diet suggestions will allow most diabetics to main a normal BG, not just a slightly elevated BG but. Normal BG.

LCHF is not a weight loss plan unless you eat at a slight deficit. It will control BG though. I was prediabetic with a fasting BG between 5.6 and 6 but eating LCHF I am no longer prediabetic. This morning my FBG was 4.3. :)

Look into it if it interests you. Good luck.
  • henriklynggaard
    henriklynggaard Posts: 27 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions, however it raises some more questions

Currently my goals are at Carb 40%, Fat/Protein 30% based on a goal of 1880 Kcal a day (plus exercise).

- Since I want to loose fat and build muscle isn't it a bad idea to increase the fat percentage?

- I bike to/from work which adds at least another 500 Kcal to the burned bringing me up to having TDEE of 2300-2700 Kcal(*). I must admit I am finding it hard to eat that many calories in a day in a healthy way. Not that I don't have healthy options at work but if I will my plate with veggies the calorie count suffers. Ideas are welcome

- Regarding the goals, It looks like the standard MFP setting for sugar is quite high. I think it was something like 70 g. I am reading different recommendations on settings. Some say 10% of Kcal, some say max 50g and others say 30g.. What is your take on it?

*)This is based on Polar activity tracker and HR measurement during biking. Hopefully it will get more precise with my purchase of FitBit 24/7 HR monitor.

• Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 three years ago. Was over 220mg/dL 4 hours after eating. A1c 8 point something.
    I have never been on Metformin (asked my Dr. to let me try diet changes first)
    This is highly personal, meaning every person is different.
    I found for myself really lowering carbs, keeping protein moderate (70g to 100g a day) and upping fat works for me.
    Every few months, I tweek it to make sure I am on the right track and that it is working for me.
    Last A1c 3 weeks ago was 4.8. My avg fasting BG is mid 70s to low 80s. Dr. removed it from my chart already, but I like to check A1c anyway.

If you alter your diet now, you have to be mindful about your Metformin. If you eat in such a way as to lower your insulin response and blood sugar levels, you may be then taking too much Metformin. You need to tell your Dr. you are trying a diet change so they can help you out with altering your medication if needed.

Eat to your meter. Eliminate or reduce foods that cause BG spikes.
    When I went low carb, I started out with higher carb levels based on ADA recommendations. That was far lower than my previous carb intake, but it was still too high for me if I wanted to lower my BG levels. I lowered it based on my meter readings and <50g a day helped me lose weight and get my BG to normal ranges within a month or two. I am under 25g carbs a day now. I made the change gradually.

Some people just need to go low carb, but I am better going keto.
    You will have to test what will work for you. Some people will not get good enough numbers to eliminate Metformin. But a low carb diet can lead to smaller medication levels and fewer BG spikes, which is still good.

As far as macros, I set my MFP to be under 25g carbs a day, protein under 100g and the rest is fat. Yours will be different. MFP does it by percentage, and I just choose the closest to my personal goals.

Good luck.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Currently my goals are at Carb 40%, Fat/Protein 30% based on a goal of 1880 Kcal a day (plus exercise).

- Since I want to loose fat and build muscle isn't it a bad idea to increase the fat percentage?

- I bike to/from work which adds at least another 500 Kcal to the burned bringing me up to having TDEE of 2300-2700 Kcal(*). I must admit I am finding it hard to eat that many calories in a day in a healthy way. Not that I don't have healthy options at work but if I will my plate with veggies the calorie count suffers. Ideas are welcome

Regarding the goals, It looks like the standard MFP setting for sugar is quite high. I think it was something like 70 g. I am reading different recommendations on settings. Some say 10% of Kcal, some say max 50g and others say 30g.. What is your take on it?

*)This is based on Polar activity tracker and HR measurement during biking. Hopefully it will get more precise with my purchase of FitBit 24/7 HR monitor.

Increasing your fat percentage does not add fat to you body.
    For decreasing the fat on your body, calories matter more than the macros.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options

- Regarding the goals, It looks like the standard MFP setting for sugar is quite high. I think it was something like 70 g. I am reading different recommendations on settings. Some say 10% of Kcal, some say max 50g and others say 30g.. What is your take on it?

It depends how you go about with a diet change.
    If you consume a lot of fat and carbs, body fat is certain.
    If you reduce carbs and increase fat, not so much.
    Eating fat doesn't make you fat. You get fat if your body stores away energy, so we have to work to make your body want to burn energy, not store it.
    I eat 1700-1900 cal a day, 75%-80% of that is from fat. Yet I lose weight.
    For me, if I upped carbs and reduced fat but had same calories, my body would increase insulin and store more of that energy. Plus if history is a guide, I would be hungry a lot.