Lifting weights to lose weight?

Options
I am 2 weeks into a self designed weight lifting program. I lift heavy and go HARD 3 days a week focusing on compound lifts (bench, squat, deadlifts etc) 1 day is set aside for cardio (far away from leg day) 1 day for abs/flexibility 1 day is a complete zero and one day I use for whatever I want.

I am moving into week 3 and haven't lost weight just maintained. I haven't seen any results in the mirror yet. I set MFP to 2200 cals/day and watch macros.

Anyone else lifting weights and trying to lose weight? I guess I want to know if my efforts are in vain and I should go back to cardio all the time (I have lost 62lbs this year focusing on cardio but I got bored). I LOVE lifting and get super excited in the morning for it.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from your calorie balance over time and exercise is the minor player in that equation.

If you have swapped a high calorie expenditure exercise (cardio) for a low calorie expenditure exercise (weights) then your calorie balance may well have changed. Is your 2200 goal using TDEE minus a percentage method or MFP's eat back exercise calories method? Have you changed your goal since changing your routine?

If you aren't losing weight over an extended period - eat a bit less.
    Caveat would be that it's far from unusual to have soreness/inflammation from starting a new exercise routine so you may be retaining water.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I lost fat while lifting. For me, it was slow going. I eat around my TDEE for the most part, but still follow-up lifting with either low-intensity cardio (40 minutes) or high-intensity (20-30 minutes).

I would recommend picking an established program (like Strong Lifts), these programs have been developed by professionals and tested; continue with some form of cardio; and be patient.
  • dhemp315
    dhemp315 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do not know what TDEE is. I have been using MFP for 330 days in a row and the 2200 allotment has worked until now. You are right one day a week cardio probably isn't enough to keep me in a caloric deficit. .
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure.
    In reality an average as it varies day to day.

So if you are just eating a flat 2200 every day and not losing weight (over a period of weeks) then suggest reducing calories a little or increasing your activity a little.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Also when starting a lifting program you are going to retain a lot more water in your muscles, so that can lead to a perceived temporary stall.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Highly likely water retention from new lifting program. Keep going for at least 3 more weeks without any changes and then reassess.

Also, drop the "self designed...program" and start a program designed by an expert. There are plenty of well developed and proven programs available. Best of luck.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    lifting 7 days a week and eating healthy is how i lost 90lbs
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit to lose weight. Lost mine lifting and little to no cardio.
    If you just changed to lifting then, as others said, you may just be retaining water for muscle repair. Also, the more you lose, the tighter your logging needs to be.
    I also recommend an established, proven lifting program over a homemade one.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    If you have been eating 2200 cal for the past 330 days while losing 62lb it is time you reassessed your calorie intake.
    You need less calories now, than you did when you started losing weight, because you weigh less. Your BMR has dropped.

Once you have adjusted your calories to your current needs you should lose while lifting.

Cheers, h.
  • saynotocardio
    saynotocardio Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been on a fairly consistent lifting program, with minimal cardio circuits on days off for about 7 months now. Lost 20 pounds and 5 inches in my waist all while having significant gains with lifts i would have never thought i'd be doing.

As others have stated you will retain much more water and in the first 2-3 months I only lost about 4 pounds.

Keep it going, you'll get there.