Any Atkins induction-friendly crisps ideas?

Options
BecomeBetterThanMyYesterMe
BecomeBetterThanMyYesterMe Posts: 114 Member
edited November 2015 in Recipes
I am on Day 5 of Atkins induction phase.. Going well. But, I seem to be craving crisps & desserts. Came up with a cheesecake recipe that's Atkins friendly through google. & I tried to fry Brinjal & Radish slices, but it turned out soggy. :( Any other ideas?

Edit: Is there an alternative I can use instead of flour in this phase?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mUV-Bt1xvk
    I am on Day 5 of Atkins induction phase.. Going well. But, I seem to be craving crisps & desserts. Came up with a cheesecake recipe that's Atkins friendly through google. & I tried to fry Brinjal & Radish slices, but it turned out soggy. :( Any other ideas?

Is "Brinjal" what we in the U.S. call "Eggplant"?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggplant

Substitutes for flour can include finely shredded parmesan cheese or other hard cheese, coconut flour,
    or almond flour. Try ground almonds if you do not have almond flour.
  • BecomeBetterThanMyYesterMe
    edited November 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Is "Brinjal" what we in the U.S. call "Eggplant"?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggplant

Substitutes for flour can include finely shredded parmesan cheese or other hard cheese, coconut flour,
    or almond flour. Try ground almonds if you do not have almond flour.
    [/quote]

Hi :)

Yeah, Brinjal is Eggplant/Aubergine. The recipe is awesome. I'm sure it's going to be equally tasty. Checked out the YouTube channel & it has more Atkins friendly recipes. Is it yours? Good ones!

I have to try out the flour substitutes. Will Coconut & almond flour stall the weight loss? I read that nuts of any kind is not allowed in Phase 1. This is my 1st time with Atkins.

Thanks a lot for the answer. It helped.

Have you completed the Atkins diet? What was your experience? How many Kg/lbs did you lose in the induction phase?

• RodaRose
    edited November 2015
    Options
    They will not stall the weight loss process because during Atkins you will still be counting calories on MFP.
    Nuts have some carbs just as dairy does.
    I would not be able to do the Atkins Phase one. If I did do Atkins I might start at phase two or three so I could have almonds and macadamia nuts.
    Good luck to you. :)
    (I did Atkins many years ago for about a month. It helped me get past my cravings for sugar. I liked having lots of fat/oils and also lots of leafy greens.)

Have you tried Kale crips? Or other similar greens? The timing is a little tricky in an oven.
    I did them once and they came out fine but the second time I over-cooked them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RfvhzLmfn4
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Cheese crips are my favorite. Just make little piles of shredded cheese and microwave or bake to make chips. Once they cool (30 sec or so) they're hard like crackers.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Atkins Diet Recipes: Low Carb Cheese Crisps (IF)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybtTdKObuOY
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds? I know my friend on the keto diet eats them.
  • emily7kg
    emily7kg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try deep fried parsnip. Use a spiraliser or potato peeler to get them really thin. Crunch time right here.
  • arwerner
    arwerner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can take pork skins and crumble them until they are fine like bread crumbs. Then use them as a breading. Comes out just as crisp as flour and low carb. They have no flavor, so whatever seasoning you use they will absorb.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    arwerner wrote: »
    You can take pork skins and crumble them until they are fine like bread crumbs. Then use them as a breading. Comes out just as crisp as flour and low carb. They have no flavor, so whatever seasoning you use they will absorb.

well I agree with most of this but they definitely have a flavor at least to me. Maybe its because I buy the huge fried pork skins (chiccharones) from the local Mexican grocery store but even when I bought plain Baken-Etts I couldn't stand the smell or the taste. They're fine when seasoned and used in place of bread crumbs, or as a coating for frying things, etc. but I can't eat them plain.

Speaking of using them in place of Bread Crumbs, the site FluffyChixCook has a great recipe for Keto Crumbs which utilizes crushed pork rinds and seasonings to make an excellent breadcrumb substitution. We use it often -
    http://fluffychixcook.com/keto-crumbs-low-carb-gluten-free-breadcrumb-mix/

FluffyChixCook actually use crushed pork rinds in a TON of their recipes. One of my favorites is a keto chocolate cake mix! FCC is one of my favorite sites for low carb/keto recipes. If a recipe is induction friendly it will say so, you just have to look for it.
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Atkins Diet Recipes: Low Carb Cheese Crisps (IF)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybtTdKObuOY

I tried this & it is perfect!! Thanks again. Yet to try the kale chips.
    Options
    Cheese crips are my favorite. Just make little piles of shredded cheese and microwave or bake to make chips. Once they cool (30 sec or so) they're hard like crackers.

Yeah, they are awesome. Just made a bunch of them!
    Options

Pork rinds.. :( I eat only chicken & egg in non-veg, mostly a vegetarian. Thanks anyways. :)
    Options

I eat only chicken & egg in non-veg, mostly a vegetarian.. :(
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »

well I agree with most of this but they definitely have a flavor at least to me. Maybe its because I buy the huge fried pork skins (chiccharones) from the local Mexican grocery store but even when I bought plain Baken-Etts I couldn't stand the smell or the taste. They're fine when seasoned and used in place of bread crumbs, or as a coating for frying things, etc. but I can't eat them plain.

Speaking of using them in place of Bread Crumbs, the site FluffyChixCook has a great recipe for Keto Crumbs which utilizes crushed pork rinds and seasonings to make an excellent breadcrumb substitution. We use it often -
    http://fluffychixcook.com/keto-crumbs-low-carb-gluten-free-breadcrumb-mix/

FluffyChixCook actually use crushed pork rinds in a TON of their recipes. One of my favorites is a keto chocolate cake mix! FCC is one of my favorite sites for low carb/keto recipes. If a recipe is induction friendly it will say so, you just have to look for it.

Thanks for the link..
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I came up with a mock filafel recipe & I liked it.. It's made with shredded cauliflower.

Shred the cauliflower, making to about 2 cups. Squeeze the water out of it using a muslin cloth. I had about 100 g of Swiss cheese that was grated & added to the cauliflower. I feel mozzarella might taste better, went with Swiss cheese since I had that at home. Mix in 1 Tbsp of fresh parsley, 2 minced garlic cloves & 1 tsp of mint leaves. Season with salt. Mix everything well. Heat corn oil or any vegetable oil for deep frying. Mold the mix into little balls, about an inch size. Drop them into the hot oil. (High flame in the beginning & low later) Fry till golden brown. I have attached a photo of it.

Let them cool for a minute. Serve with some mayonnaise as dip.

j08ohc3qws8w.jpg
    xku5oacn3g5d.jpg
    1.jpg 60.3K
    2.jpg 111.1K
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Pork rinds.. :( I eat only chicken & egg in non-veg, mostly a vegetarian. Thanks anyways. :)

honestly it would have been REALLY helpful if you'd included the "mostly a vegetarian" part in the original post. It's kind of an important piece of information, don't you think? Because it limits things quite a bit.
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »

honestly it would have been REALLY helpful if you'd included the "mostly a vegetarian" part in the original post. It's kind of an important piece of information, don't you think? Because it limits things quite a bit.

Yeah, important.. But, totally missed that point! Sorry! :( Guess I can't edit my original post now.

I tried the cheese crisps & eggplants. Then, the mock falafel. Loved them all. Do post more if all of you come up with snack ideas! Thanks..