Can't get my butt off the couch to exercise! Excuses, excuses, excuses!

Options
I keep sabotaging myself! I'm just 12 lbs away from reaching my goal weight and yet, for months now, I've stopped exercising. I'm full of excuses! "Too tired, can't get out of bed early, cramps..." you name it! And now I find I'm starting to eat less to make sure I stay at the calories for the day. Even skipping dinners! I do not want to be unhealthy or lazy! I need people who are willing to hold me accountable to daily exercise!

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Nobody is going to be able to make you do this. You have to do it yourself. If you can't muster the self respect and self control to get up and get to work then you have to accept the results.

If you are okay with skipping meals to stay in your goal then there is no reason you need to exercise if you really don't want to. At least not for weight loss. If you are not okay with it... change what you are doing. That's up to you.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Find an exercise you enjoy and you won't skip it.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Weekends are lazy days for me: I also find myself on the couch, with cats around me, for big bulks of the day. So I make sure that when I do get moving, I keep moving for longer and harder than normal. I'll set some nice, lively music from YouTube and jump around to it, for example. Or run in place with my step-counter on for motivation. Today, I have to get more vitamins, so I'll take a longer route to the pharmacy and a longer walk back home. At the end of the day, I'll generally have built up a couple-hundred calorie burn, which is good to keep me steady.
  • melsetsy
    melsetsy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Don't give up now!!!! You're only 12 lbs. from your goal!! Think of where you were and where you are now. No one is going to be accountable FOR you....only YOU can do that!!! I've been where you are and given up (my excuses and laziness were more powerful than my willpower)...it's not a good feeling and it's even worse when you let it go for so long, that before you know it; you're right back where you started or worse!!!! You don't want to do that! I'm not sure how much weight you've lost, but you know what you have to do and how to do it; and you've obviously been successful so far if you only have 12 more lbs. to lose...just don't give up on yourself so easily. Be stronger than the excuses!!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Here's some tough love for you - Do you want to revert back to your previous weight and fitness level? Then you're on the right track.

Get up, get your bum off the couch, get moving! Stop being complacent about where you're at right now. (Been there, done that and bought the larger t-shirt!)

Yes, it's all about your own personal motivation, but sometimes you need a kick in the @ss! Here you go!
  • raevazquez
    raevazquez Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really need to quit finding excuses, I got a free membership at my local YMCA but I can't get going, I don't know if its because I don't wanna work out by myself or if its just laziness.. I so want to be skinner by Christmas, but how do I get going??
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    When I'm feeling lazy I do either the one mile walk or one mile jog from Leslie Sansone. The walk version is on YouTube and is just 15 min. I get up and just do it. What's 15 min? Maybe something like that will be helpful to you. I enjoy it and it's over before I know it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I keep sabotaging myself! I'm just 12 lbs away from reaching my goal weight and yet, for months now, I've stopped exercising. I'm full of excuses! "Too tired, can't get out of bed early, cramps..." you name it! And now I find I'm starting to eat less to make sure I stay at the calories for the day. Even skipping dinners! I do not want to be unhealthy or lazy! I need people who are willing to hold me accountable to daily exercise!
    No one can force you to do something you don't want to do. So figure out why you don't want to exercise. Is it the type you were doing? Are you doing physical activity you enjoy or just killing yourself on a program you despise?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you are resisting for a legitimate reason that you haven't admitted yet. Do you find exercise for weight loss boring? Then change your reasons, change your routine, and reframe the exercise.

What kind of activities do you genuinely enjoy? Do you like the social aspect or are you more of an introvert? Pick an activity that you truly enjoy and sign up for something.

Then you aren't going out to exercise to lose those last stubborn pounds but you are going out to play softball with your friends. Or beach volleyball. Or solitary run along the boardwalk. Or hike the hill nearby.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what others in the thread said: Find an exercise you enjoy. I found running and cycling to be a massive bore, so I tried out some grappling classes at a local gym and got hooked. Now I'm sad when it isn't a 'cardio' day instead of being sad that it is one.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Whether you feel like it or not. Stop listening to the little voice in your head full of excuses and get to the Y. Every day. Even for just 10 min.
  • plantedinpots
    plantedinpots Posts: 44 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    i think a different way of looking at this situation is... why don't you think you deserve to lose these last 12 lbs? you said you keep sabotaging yourself. you said you don't want to be unhealthy or lazy. why? weight loss is 100% mental. you know what you have to do to get to your goal. you're so close. why do you keep holding yourself back?

**this is why I joined MFP. I keep sabotaging myself at my last 20 lbs. (65 already gone) I felt your question resonated a bit with my situation, so if you find my answer unhelpful just disregard it.
  • contentaconme
    contentaconme Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think about it as a habit that i must do as like eat, sleep, floss, wipe my own but. Try thinking about it in that way. EXERCISE its not an option to me like it would be absurd one day to say i dont feel like brushing or wiping my but. I just instilled it as a healthy habit. Commit to it and it feels so darn great to just say workout done! I gave my self something wonderful for my mind and body.