Plus size exercise clothes

For some reasons companies don't think big girls work out. Where can I find plus size exercise clothes at a VERY reasonable cost?

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    I found mine by just looking around. Big Lots just happened to have tennis skorts and tops in my size (at the time sz20-22) on clearance. $2.50 ish a piece. Wal-mart has lots of options in the plus size section that are reasonable if you don't buy a whole lot. Big girl clothes are expensive but you can eek by with something untill you loose more weight. Initially I worked out in shorts and a tank top until I found something I liked/ could afford... Good luck!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Walmart carries Danskin up to a 3x.

I used just (and still do because...they feel good) a capri legging that I bought from Macy's. I think I paid about $20 each for them.

This is the link for the full-length leggings. Mine are the calf-length but they don't seem to carry them anymore.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/style-co.-plus-size-full-length-leggings?ID=821315&CategoryID=46905&LinkType=&swatchColor=Black&selectedSize=Plus Sizes#fn=BRAND=Style & Co.&SIZE=Plus Sizes&PAGEINDEX=1&sp=1&spc=8&ruleId=&slotId=1

I think my point is...don't feel as if your workout clothe have to be made just for exercise. Find other alternative to use. It will be cheaper in the end. I didn't want to pay high prices for things that would be too big in a couple of months.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2015
    miaelissa wrote: »
    For some reasons companies don't think big girls work out. Where can I find plus size exercise clothes at a VERY reasonable cost?

I have found the best variety at Full Beauty http://www.fullbeauty.com/Plus-Size-Activewear.aspx?DeptId=12913&pageno=3 and Just My Size http://www.hanes.com/justmysize/active/plus-styles/view-all-active Swim and Sweat is a good place for active, chlorine resistant swimwear too.

PS: I buy a lot at Full Beauty (an aggregate site that includes Roaman's, Woman Within, Jessica London, King Size (menswear), Brylane Home, and Swimsuits for All). Their clothing is really nice with a great variety and starts at size 12 up to size 32. My goal size is a 12-14 so I will likely be buying from them even at goal.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    edited November 2015
    I've saw lots at Walmart. Danskin brand.
  • earlnabby
    Annie_01 wrote: »

I think my point is...don't feel as if your workout clothe have to be made just for exercise. Find other alternative to use. It will be cheaper in the end. I didn't want to pay high prices for things that would be too big in a couple of months.

I agree. I also go into the menswear for things like tees and sweats. The only thing I don't compromise on is my swimsuit but that is because I need chlorine-resistant. I spend so much time in the pool that nylon/spandex stuff fades to see-through in a few weeks.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Old Navy.

• earlnabby
    arditarose wrote: »
    Old Navy.

I haven't found much of anything larger than a size 16 there.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    I used to buy plus size stuff through Old Navy's online store. They typically don't carry plus sizes in their stores. Also, JC Penney's has some nice exercise stuff in their Xersion brand. They typically have sales on the stuff all the time and it holds up unbelievably well. Try their clearance racks too for Capri and tanks for next to nothing right now. Kohl's has some exercise stuff that I am just now fitting into L or XL that I can use - earn Kohl's cash on. I couldn't really find there when I first started though.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
    edited November 2015
    Khols has some really nice ones that are cheap, unfortunately I don't remember the brand name. That's a good sign I guess, I've been wearing the same pants for two years lol.

Anyhow, I like really fitted capris, as I used to run and I didn't want my pants falling. Khols has a brand that is little thicker, but stretchy fabric. It holds everything in place and lasts a really long time. They have different fits and lengths too, but I have big calves, so I always get the fit and flare.

I wish I knew the brand name. It is not the cheapest brand they have, but it's not expensive. Regularly they are $40, but I always get them on sale for around $20.

They do have another brand that is more "sweat suit" or velour fabrics. If you workout in a real sense though, I doubt they would work. If you are looking to go for a casual walk, or to just lounge, they might be good.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    I go to the menswear at WalMart and Target. Men's large is larger than a Women's large. I wear a Women's XXL top, but a L in Men's. Also, the Men's shorts have pockets!!!! POCKETS! Like women don't need pockets.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Walmart
  • shelleysykeskeene
    shelleysykeskeene Posts: 110 Member
    Why not just do tracksuit pants or leggings and an oversize t-shirt? Its not about looking cute, if you end a workout looking good then you aren't doing it right!
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 470 Member
    I really like Fabletics, a little more expensive, but great quality.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I had to go to Target to find workout clothes when I started. They have the Champion or C9 brand and they carry 2x and 3x sizes. If you need larger than that, I don't know.

Yes, I've seen good, reasonably priced stuff at Target.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    I buy all my clothes off of Amazon. A habit from the days where I couldn't fit into any clothes sold in most stores.
  • PibbleLover88
    PibbleLover88 Posts: 40 Member
    Absolutely ditto to Walmart - they have reasonably priced leggings/yoga pants/tops. Old Navy is another really good option for reasonably priced items. Old Navy has up to XXL in the store (which is really big - old navy sizes run huge) and bigger sizes online.

I have also found some really cheap XXL items at Sam's Club.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    I go to the menswear at WalMart and Target. Men's large is larger than a Women's large. I wear a Women's XXL top, but a L in Men's. Also, the Men's shorts have pockets!!!! POCKETS! Like women don't need pockets.

Also, Men's shirts are cheaper than Women's shirts, and Men's shorts are cheaper than Women's shorts.
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,842 Member
    I buy mine online from WomanWithin.com The cost isn't too bad, but what's good is when they put their stuff on sale. I get catalogs in the mail weekly from them now. I also have found some shorts on ebay that I could no longer find in the store.
  • meggie_l
    meggie_l Posts: 22 Member
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I've saw lots at Walmart. Danskin brand.

I'm not plus size but I definitely suggest Danskin at Walmart they have really cute stuff for a reasonable price!!!
  • stac928
    stac928 Posts: 10 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Old Navy.

I haven't found much of anything larger than a size 16 there.

Try online. They have plus size Active Wear and they frequently discount it as much as 40%. That's where I buy all my activewear and I never pay full price.