HELP! Real Breakfast!

Options
Hi folks,

I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for some good FILLING breakfasts. I usually only grab something on my way to work, unfortunately the could be McDonald's or Burger King, or Tim Hortons...ect. Well, I am gonna try and put the kibosh on that and eat healthier. Please any suggestions would be helpful!

Would it be better to eat 2 smaller breakfasts? Any good suggestions there?

Thanks! amd feel free to friend me, the people here have been so helpful and encouraging. I have not been here for a while and it shows.

Thanks!
Shannon

Replies

• Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My personal fave is a piece of toast, with some yummy fruit and some greek yogurt.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I usually just nab a Builder's Bar and maybe a piece of fruit. However, you can have a two egg omelet with cheese and salsa for very few calories, so long as you measure out the cheese and salsa and don't go nuts. Tastes great, too. You could throw in a slice of Sara Lee Delightful bread as toast for only 45 calories a slice, and just use a dab of butter or a low-cal substitute. Shouldn't throw too big a wrench in any calorie counting.

Kris
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    - Fried egg sandwich
    - Hard boiled egg sandwich (you can make several eggs at once when you have time and save them!)
    - Toast and natural peanut butter
    - Fruit smoothie (so filling, seriously!!)
  • dino_morgan
    dino_morgan Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat two breakfasts since I get up so early for work. Before I leave I'll eat some oatmeal (sometimes 2 packets if I'm starving), and then around 10:00 I'll eat a second breakfast. Usually that consists of some toast and coffee or fruit. Make sure to eat breakfast though, it will help you eat better throughout the day!
  • marchegt
    marchegt Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    my breakfast is a slice of rye toast with almond butter, 12 almonds and half a cup of strawberries. Sometimes I also add one egg! Very delicious, filling and lots of variety!
  • learnbygoing
    learnbygoing Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I rotate between three things:

Oatmeal (low sugar maple oatmeal)
    shredded wheat (the 100% all natural kind, with the ONLY ingredient being wheat)
    An egg on toast

I usually add some kind of fruit in, either strawberries or grapes or pineapple. I'm not a big morning eater, so this usually lasts me to lunch :D
  • katie_on_a_mission
    Options
    Stock up on things you can grab as you're running out the house: bananas, FiberOne bars, SlimFast shakes, etc. If one doesn't fill you up, bring a second to work.
  • Halld9
    Halld9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Instant oatmeal and fruit is a great option. I keep a box of instant oatmeal at the office. I make it with water not milk.
  • syoung76
    syoung76 Posts: 19
    Options
    You are all AWESOME! Thanks! ...and keep em' coming!
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    This is what I eat for breakfast almost everyday-
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/258089-low-carb-microwave-muffin
    it takes less than 5 minutes to make and is super filling.
  • 69mustang
    69mustang Posts: 185
    Options
    I love oatmeal ( not the instant but the quick cooking or steel cut kind) with 1/3 cup unsweatened almond milk and a banana sliced in or a diced apple with a touch of cinnamon in it. I sweeten it with 1 tsp agave.

Greek yogurt with fruit, whole grain toast with natural nut butter

eggs- you can hard boil them and keep them in the fridge for a few days

Protien shakes made with some fruit
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Quaker oatmeal with almond butter and splenda brown sugar mix - packaged oatmeal has so much extra stuff in it. Cottage cheese with berries mixed in. Whole wheat english muffins with almond butter and sugar free jam. Half grapefruit and whole wheat english muffin. There are endless possibilities if you're willing to take a little time. I blow dry my hair while my oatmeal cooks, and if I don't have time to eat it at home I put it in a container and reheat when I get to work.
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I take a thermos with 2 packages of sugar free Swiss Miss hot chocolate, then pick up a parfait at McDonalds. Only 210 calories and it keeps me content until lunch.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I do a prep for the week on Sunday. As mentioned boiled a dozen eggs that way you can grab one and go or you can toss one in a salad for added protein. As long as you don;t have cholesterol problems whole eggs are perfectly fine.
    Greek yogurt is good as well. Buy a large tub of the 0% and add your own fresh fruit or granola toppings.
    On gym days I eat a 2 egg vegetable omelet and home fries with onions and peppers.
    On non gym days I may eat a cup of cooked quinoa flavored with dried cranberries and almond milk

Try to get some protein in your breakfast and skip the processed stuff. You'll feel better once you get rid of that extra sodium and sugar. Even a handful of almonds or walnuts (10-20) and a equal amount of dried cranberries is better. play around with foods you like. Better yet play around in the kitchen, you may be able yo duplicate your favorite fast food items at home, save money and get healthy all at once.
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    my weekday staple is oatmeal with yogurt. I make oatmeal from "quick cooking oats." Though it only takes 6 - 7 minutes, my m.o. is to boil the water while I'm stretching out after my workout, then add the oatmeal, put on a lid and remove the pan from the heat. then I go shower. By the time I'm dressed and back to the kitchen the oatmeal is cooked. I throw in 1/2 a container of yogurt to flavor it. I find that making "homemade" oatmeal and adding yogurt for flavor gives me much less sugar high/crash than prepackaged instant oatmeal.
    Oh, and I cook about 2 cups on Monday (or Sunday night if I've got my act together) and divide it into 1/3 cup servings. Then the rest of the week I can pull out my pre-measured oatmeal, zap it in the microwave and add my yogurt.
    Making the breakfast ahead of time for the week is a good way to avoid drive-through fast foods.
    good luck!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast and then an AM snack. For breakfast, it's usually a bowl of Kashi go lean cereal. It's the most balanced cereal I can find with lower calories (13 g protein, 10 g fiber, 1 g fat and 140 calories) in a whole cup (not just the 3/4 cup most cereals call a serving)!!! It may taste kind of blah at first (if your used to lots of sugar in your cereal (this only has 6 g), but it really is kind of good. I have 1/2 cup of 1% milk and I've got protein, fiber and carbs to start my day fast and easy.

My a.m. snack is either toast w/peanut butter (on my days in the office) or eggs and toast. I'm always trying to get plenty of protein with every meal, so that kind of limits my choices. And, I need something fast and easy on the days I go in. So I can't wait to read the other suggestions cuz I get bored with this all the time!
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If you're stopping at McDonald's, they have delicious Fruit and Maple oatmeal! It's 290 calories and has 5 grams of fiber! YUM!

I usually grab an Atkins Shake to drink on the go and it's 160 calories, 1 gram of carbs and 15 grams of protien! They are yummy too!

I also like Egg Beaters on the weekend when I have more time to make breafast. They have 30 calories a serving and they are yummy with a few sprays of Parkay Spray, pepper and salt. Plus, you can cook them in the microwave. They are also great for making french toast too.
  • nelbur49
    nelbur49 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually have a bowl of cereal, bran flakes mixed with alpen cereal. Add 1/2 banana and 1% milk and it stays with you till lunch. Mc Donald's isn't bad if you have a ham and egger but hold the sauce. It's all the adons that are not too great for you.
  • syoung76
    syoung76 Posts: 19
    Options
    I may eat a cup of cooked quinoa flavored with dried cranberries and almond milk

I never thought of quinoa for breakfast... I love that stuff!

Thanks so much for all the great suggestions!!!
  • jessib009
    jessib009 Posts: 8
    Options
    I always give myself an extra half hour in the morning to make a good breakfast and actually sit down and eat it. My favorite breakfast is 2 eggs scrambled with veggies, lean meat, and low fat cheese. I usually throw peppers, onion, and either 1 slice of diced ham or canadian bacon and the skillet and sizzle it. Then I add the 2 eggs with a sprinkling of weight watchers cheese. I also add salsa or taco sauce to the eggs, its low cal and tastes great with the pepper/onion combo. If I'm really hungry or just craving carbs I'll have 1/2 of a bagel thin with it (which equals 50cal). This breakfast is easy, keeps me full for a while, and sets me up for a dat of healthy eating! Hope that helps :)