Separate Meals From Family?

Options
Do you eat what your whole family eats or do you eat something separate? We're usually pretty good at making something healthy for family meals, but sometimes it doesn't work and I'm over for the day...

Replies

• kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Well, my girls are 8 and 10...I want them to have a healthy outlook on food. And make good choices. So, I never eat different food from them. I cook the meals and whatever they have I have. I may have less rice and more veggies, but the same meal. Or just less of it. The only time this doesnt really apply is ordering out. That is my free "Get a salad" ticket and if they want something different, so be it. :)
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I usually try to cook a healthy meal for all of us. I don't always eat a side (like mac'n'cheese or rice) and instead double up on my veggies. I'm not looking to just lose weight, this has to be a lifestyle I feel I can maintain long term....
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I used to always eat the same thing my fiancee eats, but now we usually have different things. Sometimes we'll have the same thing, but I just pile extra veggies on top. For example, he'll have the mac and cheese plain, I put peapods and broccoli in it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I cook, so my wife eats what I do but I don't have kids yet.
  • mikesnwgirl
    mikesnwgirl Posts: 112
    Options
    I sometimes make separate things for me. Only when my boyfriend and son want to eat something less than healthy. It works for us. I say do whatever works for you. If that means making your own meal so be it. Usually we all eat something healthy. It just doesn't always work out. Life happens.
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy meals (usually dinner) is something good for all of us so we all eat of the same meal. I don't ever want them to think of dieting as being associated with depriving oneself. As a matter of fact, I refuse to even think of this as a diet.

So in an effort of teaching my family to be mindful about their food choices, we all eat the same thing. (My boys, however, get "treats" to eat when they have lunch at school).
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I don't mind making an extra side or something for others, but I would not be making a whole different meal. My husband needs to eat much more than I do, so sometimes I will make him some rice or something, and I just eat the meat and veggies. Generally though, he will eat whatever I make, as long as it fills him up.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy meals (usually dinner) is something good for all of us so we all eat of the same meal. I don't ever want them to think of dieting as being associated with depriving oneself. As a matter of fact, I refuse to even think of this as a diet.

So in an effort of teaching my family to be mindful about their food choices, we all eat the same thing. (My boys, however, get "treats" to eat when they have lunch at school).

Same here. I do scale portion sizes for my husband and growing teenager. I work hard to make healthier versions of everyday meals and include a weekly "treat" like homemade burgers, pizza, burritos, oven-baked chips etc into the menu.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I make meals that we can both eat, usually. He is a REALLY picky eater so say if I want chicken breast, I will make him a hamburger instead as he doesnt eat poultry or seafood. But a lot of our dinners are vegetarian which we both enjoy. Many times I have a different side dish, or salad instead of fries if we eat out.
  • ssernst
    ssernst Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm the only vegetarian in my family so it seems I'm always eating a separate meal. I eat a lot of brown rice w/ veggies. I'll also separate my portions before I add meat; I'll make vegetarian chili and scoop out my portion before I add beef. If you're making a meal with veggies, I'd say eat the things you want but mind the portions. Pile your plate with the healthiest and just a taste of anything unhealthy.
    Best of luck!
  • SaddyPants
    SaddyPants Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I do all of the cooking so there's just no way I'd make two meals for just me and my bf. lol But he will pretty much eat anything (part of the reason we're here.) so he usually won't complain.
  • SommerJo
    SommerJo Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    For us it depends on how the groceries are holding out. In the beginning of our two week cycle -- I make my own rice dinners -- sometimes with veggies -- sometimes an egg -- sometimes meat -- and I'll make them whatever. Closer to the end of the two weeks -- I have to eat what they eat -- just try to have smaller portions and drink lots of water!!

Best of luck to ya!!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Family meals together. I think it would be terribly difficult to prepare something separate from the family.

I usually try to cook something the whole family can/will eat. So far, I've done pretty good.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I do whatever works best at the time. When my life is crazy busy I might fix only one meal, but if I'm not strapped for time I try to take everyone's preferences into consideration on side dishes but will make the same main dish. Or sometimes I will do the opposite and everyone will have the same side dishes but I'll make two main dishes - one meat, one veg. Or sometimes we have a "fend for yourself" night where everyone makes something different for themselves. My kids are 14 and 7 and can both cook, so I always keep healthy options around for them to choose from if they don't want what I fix. If I don't want to eat what everyone else is having, I might makes myself a salad or eat leftovers. Like I said...whatever works best at the time.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I only cook one meal. I have 1 and 3 year old boys but I don't make special "kid food" or anything. I do make a few allowances for certain things I know one or the other of them won't eat- when I make enchiladas I make them chicken quesadillas with spinach instead because they don't like enchilada sauce, my 3 year old doesn't like spaghetti sauce so he gets noodles, meat & veggies, if I making a veggies they might not like I'll make a 2nd veggie and as long as they try 3 bites of the original then they can finish their serving of veggies with the 2nd veggie...
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    We all eat the same meal. I am so over "Mom's restaurant" -- ha! They eat what I put in front of them whether they like it or not! (yes, I am that mean--tee hee).

Actually, I think it's best bc kids get used to eating what is provided, and that is what they'll eventually desire to make (or otherwise get) for themselves when they grow up. I have had to educate my husband about this bc if I am out of the house during a meal for some reason, he will typically throw burgers and hotdogs on the grill and serve with the worst giant buns (which my kids love), and buy potato salad or cole slaw (which they hate). No veggies, rarely a piece of fruit, so what ended up happening was they might eat 2 cheeseburgers and nothing else. I have one son with a weight problem (like his dad), and that just doesn't do! Instead, I serve a variety of 2 or 3 fresh fruits (strawberries, raspberries, mangoes--whatever is in season), a LARGE portion of steamed fresh broccoli or grilled green beans/asparagus and then a 3-4 oz portion of grilled fish, chicken or beef. The kids must eat at least half of veggies/fruit and protein, before I will allow bread (which I only serve occasionally with dinner anyway), or dessert. Dessert is yogurt, fruit, or occasional home-made goodies.

Likewise for breakfast my husband would be inclined to give them each a whole bagel with a giant glob of cream cheese, or just several tablespoons of PB in a bowl. I would serve 1/2 a bagel, with light spread of cream cheese and fresh fruit.

Anyway, that's what works for us--I think one meal is easier on so many levels. blessings!
  • girlwapp
    girlwapp Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and my family still eats dinner together almost every night. Admittedly I'm the only child home this summer, my two brothers live elsewhere at the moment, but even when everyone's together we all do the dinner thing. Lunch and breakfast are so dependent upon when you wake up (mom and dad are often eating lunch as I breakfast) that they don't tend to coincide but dinner is always together and often late (6-10pm).

I used to be very picky and get things separate (noodles most especially because I used to hate sauce) but now a days I can fend for myself if I don't like what mother throws at me and we all sit down together anyway.