Macro goals

Options
What's everyone's macro % goals? I'm thinking I should adjust the defaults- more protein, less carbs - but not sure what I should aim for?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    How much protein?
    People who eat fewer carbs often increase fats and oils.
  • tsareenaw
    tsareenaw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've no idea but trying to lose fat rather than just pounds
  • kandryski
    kandryski Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mine are 144p/120c/24f I have a nutrition coach and he put this together for me. I'm also a strict vegetarian, so no dairy, but I recently added Eggs to my diet to help with my macros
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My macros are 5% carbs, 75% fat and 20% protein for a very LCHF ketogenic diet. That is something like 20g carbs, 110 g fat and 75 g protein. About.

There are minimum requirements for protein and fats. Once you meet those you can play around with the macros to find your needs and preferences. Most around here seem to like 40% C, 30% F, 30% P.
  • MichaelRobinson1994
    Options
    I'm eating around 2000 calories a day at the minute, 100g of protein, 33g of fat, and the rest I put into carbs, so 325g.
    Seems to be working for me, and means I get to eat plenty of rice, pasta, bread, fruits and veg :) So all my favorite foods get to stay :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    tsareenaw wrote: »
    What's everyone's macro % goals? I'm thinking I should adjust the defaults- more protein, less carbs - but not sure what I should aim for?

I do 40% carbs, 30% each fat and protein, when at a deficit.

IMO, the best way to figure it out is starting with protein. There's some benefit in terms of retaining muscle mass when eating at a deficit and exercising to getting about .65-.85 g/lb (but if you are overweight use goal weight, since this assumes not an overweight body fat percentage).

I'm 125, which is a healthy enough weight, so for me that's 81-106 g of protein. So to be conservative I went with the higher end and aim for about 105 g. 105 g of protein is 420 calories, so if I'm eating 1500 calories that's 28%. Being conservative again, I rounded up to 30%. Then, I am pretty active so I like having somewhat more carbs and 30% fat still leaves me with 50 g fat, which is plenty for me, so 40-30-30.