I know this may sound stupid, but....

Options
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've been on the message boards. I think I have used every excuse in the book when it comes to adding weights to my routine. I'm finally getting good walking in again, working my way back up to doing 5K's in the spring. I did 3 a few years ago, hoping to do at least that next year. But, I keep putting off weight training. I keep thinking that I'll get discouraged with a temporary gain from watertight from my muscles repairing themselves. I know, TOTALLY STUPID and I have to think of the long run.

Guess I'm just hoping for someone to kick my in my *kitten* to finally start tomorrow. No excuse. I have access to a decent weight room at work!!

Have a great Sunday everyone!!

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    So what's the question Ken? My advice, START the weight training today. Why put it off? And if you gain two or three pounds, while getting stronger and tighter, big dealio....Walking is a nice, easy way to get back into moving your body, but if you're really serious about changing the shape of your body, and killing some fat, weights are the way to go. You have a great Sunday too, and believe me, the sooner you pick up some weights and get started, the sooner you will start to see major RESULTS! Good luck! xo
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I did "gain" seven pounds when I started lifting again, but since I knew that this can happen and that I hadn't eaten 24,500 extra calories, I was able to let it go.

It's supposed to go away within four weeks.

Today, get your workout gear ready to bring to work, and enjoy a workout tomorrow!
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you both!! I already have my workout stuff in my car so I wouldn't have that excuse! Haha
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You just need to accept that it's going to happen. Here, let me show you my last month's weight chart. The arrows are the days after my workouts (about 30 minutes of strength training at a resistance where I can only finish 8-12 reps, then 30 minutes HIIT).

I gain water weight pretty reliably on the next day - I notice I drink a lot more (at least an extra liter of water) and go to the bathroom less. If you look at the indicated days, there are a lot of gains, a smaller number of breaking even days, and a very small number of minor losses. But that extra water weight comes off afterwards, usually by the following day. Yes, it's a bit annoying, but by now I just expect it and am not upset when it happens. Overall, I really enjoy the fitness benefits I'm getting from my workouts.

exercise.png
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I did "gain" seven pounds when I started lifting again, but since I knew that this can happen and that I hadn't eaten 24,500 extra calories, I was able to let it go.

It's supposed to go away within four weeks.

YAY! just what I wanted to hear. I am in the middle of this right now having started early November. Thanksgiving was big but not 24500 calories worth, that is an excellent point, thanks!

From starting lifting I gained and lost 6 pounds several times the first two weeks, it was a shocker having been on maintenance and stable for over 2 years. Even with the gain though, clothes still fit. I am looking forward to running with a stronger more stable body. :smile: