Hypothyroid looking for suggestions

Options
Hello everyone! After Thanksgiving, I'm looking to get into shape, and try to get healthy. (Thanksgiving is my last hoorah). I have hypothyroidism and a goiter. Challenge accepted lol. Anyone have any helpful hints or recipes or basically anything that could help me starting my journey? Thank you everyone ☺

Replies

• Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    track measurements across several points on your body in addition to watching the scale. Drink a lot of water and try not to step on the scale every day.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! :blush:

A few things that helped me:
    1. Knowing the numbers: TSH, Free T3, Free T4.
    2. Knowing what standards the lab was using to define the "normal" range.
    3. Being assertive with my doc because I didn't feel well when my TSH dropped back into the (upper end) of the normal range. I feel better when it's at the lower end of the normal range.
    4. Understanding the medication and how it works: synthetic T4 (synthroid/levoxyl)--takes 8 weeks to fully integrate in the system. Is picky--avoid food for at least an hour after taking, calcium for 4 hours and antiacids for as long as possible. Synthetic T3 (cytomel)--your body is supposed to turn T4 into T3. Some times it sucks at it (mine does). Cytomel is fast acting--in and out in 24 hours, it does not build up in your system like the T4. Natural thyroid--Armour is a common brand. Has both T4 and T3.
    5. Medication is very individual, it's about what's right for you.
    6. Getting a little more protein helped me. I'm 35%/c, 35%/p, 30%/f. Well, I try for that. :smile:
    7. Weight training has been awesome. So has yoga and HIIT.

Weigh your solid foods with a food scale, measure your liquids. Log everything. MFP calorie burns for exercise are notoriously high, most people who use them only eat back about 50% of their exercise calorie. Cardio machine burns are also notoriously high.50% is a good idea for them too (eating back exercise calories).

Please reconsider your last hurrah. You want to build sustainable habits, that means working with special occasions. Thanksgiving may be the first really hard holiday food you'll face, but it definitely won't be the last one.

Be patient--it's a marathon, not a sprint. You'll get there, just don't give up!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism, and successfully lost weight and am right in the middle of a healthy BMI for almost a year now. It is definitely do-able. Make sure your thyroid levels are in a healthy range. Set reasonable expectations, no fad diets, use a food scale. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest
  • Rainbowbrite4046
    Options
    Thank you folks! I am currently taking synthroid. I had a reaction to the Levothyroxin. I was diagnosed in 200, which was at the end of my sophomore year of high school. It was a lot easier then to maintain my weight lol. I appreciate everyone's time for the input on this forum. I will gladly take any help I can get from successful individuals.
  • allygory
    allygory Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have to second the importance of being assertive about your TSH. I feel my best (and lose my best) at theI low end of the range and i feel terrible at the upper end.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Thank you folks! I am currently taking synthroid. I had a reaction to the Levothyroxin. I was diagnosed in 200, which was at the end of my sophomore year of high school. It was a lot easier then to maintain my weight lol. I appreciate everyone's time for the input on this forum. I will gladly take any help I can get from successful individuals.

Synthroid is levothyroxin sodium, you're having a reaction to it?
  • fkwan
    fkwan Posts: 28 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I third being assertive about your TSH. Once you get to your goal weight, do not under any circumstances let them lower your medication dose unless Whatever forbid you develop an arrhythmia or something. Also the protein.

Also because you are hypothyroid you are ALWAYS "sedentary" due to reduced metabolism.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    May I suggest reading as much as you can about thyroid problems on accredited sites and relate what you find to yourself. Hashimoto's thyroiditis seems to be prevalent, not all medics look for the antibodies of which there are two which can diminish or destroy your thyroid activity, t4 supplementation is not always beneficial. There are so many points in t3 production/conversion that you need to read up and know your stuff. T4 supplementation is known to suppress the tsh and this is not always a good thing it depends on the specific clinical situation of the individual. The tsh is supposed to prompt the conversion of t3 to t4 if the tsh is too low this can not happen properly. It is also good to know if all the t3 in your system is able to be taken up in your cells, reverse t3 is t3 which is inactive and will not help your cells function well.

Functional medicine is highlighting the presence of inflammation as a key cause of Hashi an autoimmune problem as is Graves. If you need to stay within they system, Please try to find the support of a medic well versed in all things thyroid, someone who listens if you have to say you still have symptoms or issues and will support you in trying to track it all down. One thing I have learned is there is no one size fits all where thyroid conditions are concerned.

Stop the Thyroid Madness is a website and book which set out to share knowledge as has, Thyroid Mom, and there are others. There is a hyper and hypo group on here but it is a little quiet at the moment. Ours are very personal searches for answers to help us get well, what helps some does not help others there is nothing cut and dried. If you ask and you still don't fit keep on asking and ask someone else.

All the very best.

Ps. the fillers and binders used in any one for of a supplemented medication can take different people differently. There are versions in a hypo-allergenic format. It may look the same but can be very different. I have been taking liquid levo because in the pill for it made my symptoms much much worse.
  • BozKat
    BozKat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I read a lot about hypothyroidism to keep up on those foods that are really not good to eat and I finally took charge of my own health with my doctor! I just kept creeping up the scale over the years and I watched my diet, walked almost everyday and still the weight crept up. Many doctors that I asked for help would tell me to just eat less and would not take me off of Synthroid and it was very discouraging. I finally have a doctor who is hypothyroid and agreed to put me on Amour.....wow I feel like a real person again. I have taken it for 1 year now and haven't felt this good in 30 years and my weight did drop by 13 pounds and has stayed that way all year. I am here to use this website to track myself now that I am working to become as healthy as I can, so hope to reply later with good results.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Track your food the day before you eat it! Or sit down every morning and plan it out. That is my biggest motivator!! I like to see my eaten calories, my workout calories and then decide during the day if I am going to add to it or not. It also saves me any "crap I only have 200cal left for supper" type moments. I have been treated for about a year now and am constantly having to stress to my docs how I have improved. All the symptoms that have resolved, and how human I feel. Not sure why they want to keep lowering the dose, they would rather prescribe me 5 other drugs to take care of the symptoms rather than just believe it was all due to the hypo. Keep on top of your lab numbers, keep educating yourself, and don't let yourself believe you are overweight all because of the hypo. It is a factor that slows us down but it cannot stop us!
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you thyroid is not in normal range it really does not matter what you do food wise you will not loose and may gain even if you are doing everything right. Most people who have not dealt with thyroid issues have no clue. There is no food, food combination, shake, vitamin supplement, fitness class, that will give you what thyroid hormone will.

If your thyroid is in normal range and you are not losing or just not feeling like yourself, look into additional liothyronine or some type of T3 therapy. You may have to press your doctor some because they may be unfamiliar with it.