Hair loss...Please help!!!

Options
I went on a diet about a year ago and lost 60 pounds but I also lost all of my beautiful hair...Does anyone have any suggestions of a Diet that I can go on that will not make my hair come out...Has anyone had any horry stories about the the Biggest Loser diet. I have been thinking about doing that one because it sounds like a balanced diet and the contestants on there don't look like they have gone threw hair loss...Please help me with this....

Replies

• Lithlyrian
    Options
    Found this.

"Hair loss occurs when the diet is inadequate in the B vitamins - especially B6, biotin, inositol and folic acid; and the minerals magnesium, sulfur and zinc. The B vitamins, especially B5 (pantothenic acid and B3 (niacin), are especially important for hair growth. Certain essential amino acids are found to control the thinning and thickening of hair in laboratory animals. For example, when rats were fed a diet deficient in magnesium, they lost their hair in bunches. The situation was even more serious with some other B-vitamins. When rats were fed a diet low in biotin or inositol, they became hairless! This nutrient-deficient condition was found to be reversible. When the rats were fed a diet that was rich in B vitamins, it resulted in the complete restoration of hair.

Heavy intake of vitamin supplements, in some cases, have resulted in stimulating hair growth. Men deficient in vitamin B6 often lose their hair. When they are deficient in folic acid, some men became completely bald! As in case of animals, when normal intake of theses vitamins were restored, the hair also returned in most instances.

Taking large doses of vitamin A (100,000 IU or more daily) for a long period of time, on the other hand, can trigger hair loss, but stopping the vitamin A will reverse the problem. As in case of deficiencies, often the hair grows back when the cause is corrected.

Essential fatty acids (flaxseed oil, primrose oil, and salmon oil are good sources) improves hair texture. Prevents dry, brittle hair.

Raw thymus glandular stimulates immune function and improves functioning capacity of glands.

Dosage: 500 mg daily.

Caution: Do not give this supplement to a child."
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've been losing a little bit of hair too, but I have a lot so I can afford to lose it, haha. That said, I know that there is a supplement called Biotin I think that is supposed to be good for hair and fingernails...
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any problems with hair loss but in talking to my friend who have had baratric surgery that is one of their side effects and they were counseled to use a liquid vitamin and when I get in mood where I seriously cut calories I use Centrium liquid (directions say 15 ml a day, I take 5 ml three times a day because (1) it tastes bad but more importantly (2) I like that it gives me an energy boost throughout the day.

So this works for me and i haven't had any hair loss. This may be an idea for you.

I wish you the best.

Eva
  • jessilea53
    jessilea53 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I havent had any problems with hair loss, but I have very dry, brittle hair. I take a Hair, Nails, and Skin supplement. It does include that Biotin that mbcarreno mentioned. I have noticed a change in my hair. Seems less dry, smooth.

I get the Spring Valley on at Walmart. Its like 7 bucks for 120 caplets. Youre suppose to take it 3 times daily after/with a meal.

Hope this helps!

Jessica
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I went on a diet about a year ago and lost 60 pounds but I also lost all of my beautiful hair...Does anyone have any suggestions of a Diet that I can go on that will not make my hair come out...Has anyone had any horry stories about the the Biggest Loser diet. I have been thinking about doing that one because it sounds like a balanced diet and the contestants on there don't look like they have gone threw hair loss...Please help me with this....
    Don't diet. Change your eating habits into a lifestyle that you can maintain and live on. I side eye anything that has to do with TBL. (Personally HATE the show)The simplest thing is to cut out or limit processed food & soda, drink plenty of water and exercise. Pay attention to your MFP diary, not just the calories you are taking in, but the macros as well.
  • RachelJE
    RachelJE Posts: 172
    Options
    In addition to the post about vitamins, which is accurate, inadequate protein intake can also effect hair. Talk to your doctor about how many grams per day you should be getting. We had a foster daughter who was "vegetarian," which in her 16 year old world meant eating fritos, etc. 3 meals a day. She didn't focus at all on alternate sources of protein and her hair was falling out by the handfuls. Good luck.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    don't do fads that make the weight fly off. they can't be healthy and often your hair is one of the outward signs to notice that.

just eat healthy, exercise and make positive changes.
  • kysassyblonde1
    Options
    vitamin E is for hair skin and nails. Also take womans heath vitamins to help hair loss!!!