Ketogenic Diet

Options
I'm interested in anyone else following a ketogenic plan currently. And whether they've had much success with it.

For those not familiar, Ketogenic is High fat, moderate protein, low carb (less than 50g a day)

The logic behind following such as plan, is that when the body can't use carbs as it's primary energy supply, it uses it's own fat supply, which excretes ketons as a waste.

I've been following a ketogenic diet for about 2 weeks now, to get rid of that last bit of stubborn fat, anyone else having any luck?

Replies

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I did it for awhile. Felt really good being satisfied and full all the time. It works, but be prepared to stick to it for life or have all the initial water weight come right back on. Feel free to request to join the LCHF group on mfp as well, they are very supportive
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Oh there's a group, very useful thank you!
  • MichaelRobinson1994
    Options
    I've followed it before, but very quickly began to miss fruits, bread, pizza, pasta, rice and beans!

It does work (I lost 15lbs) if you're willing to stick with it (Although my girlfriend wasn't keen on the bad breath it gave me).

Good luck with it!
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I tried it, and spent a fortune on chewing gum, as my breath stank, did well on it though
  • robs_ready
    Options
    Yeah I've definitely noticed the breath thing, I just don't think it's sustainable long term, I think you guys may have a point
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have been doing it for about five months and have had a lot of success. I started it to treat health issues but found that with a modest calorie deficit I was able to lose weight fairly easily. I went from 185-190 to about 150 lbs. Eating keto reduces my appetite and my cravings were gone.

No bad breath either. ;)

Most people lose only a bit faster on a ketogenic diet. The difference at 6 months is just a few pounds. Keep eating at a deficit, and you'll get there eventually.

The water weight lost on a ketogenic diet is usually only a couple of pounds and not worth worrying much about. Like any weight loss plan, if you stop watching your food intake and no longer follow the plan, weight gain can expected.

And the groups to look for are the Low Carber Daily and keto groups. Very helpful people there.

Good luck.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it was the first WOE that worked for me without feeling hungry or tired, but it IS a lifestyle change, not a temp diet. I started 3 years ago.
    Not everyone needs to reduce carbs so much, but for those who do, this diet can be great.

Beside the keto groups here, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
    Lot's of people post there, so almost any question you have has been asked and discussed.
    Also has links to related groups like keto for athletes, women and even vegetarians.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    Thanks guys, really helpful stuff!