Exercises for increasing bone density

Options
Hi
I have bone density issues that are degenerative.

I currently run 2-3 times a week for 5-10k. I also do Hatha yoga for core stability.

Can you recommend any exercise that I can build in to help increase the bone density?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This may help:

http://nof.org/exercise

I have osteopenia and was told that jogging or brisk walking and weight training would help with bone density.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Weights for sure!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that link @tiptoethruthetulips

Maybe incorporating a lifting routine is the way to go. I have started 5x5 so many times over the years but stop after a few days. It isn't something I like to do. I think that is why I don't stick with it. That and I'm so weak it is pathetic. 5kg added to each side of the bar feels like a major struggle to me.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Basically, any weight bearing exercise will help, whether you are bearing your own body weight (like running, walking, yoga, etc) or lifting weights. The most effective for the bone structure as a whole is a combination of both.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I use free weights (dumbbells mainly) but I also had a set of resistance bands that I started with.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006O09M4K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Due to a broken wrist I have started using them again since I can't put any weight on my wrist for another few months. The set that I have came with an exercise chart (plus there are tons of videos on Youtube) that will show you the equivalent exercises compared to using weights.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld -- It's okay to modify an exercise program (any exercise program) to fit your own needs. Those programs are typically designed for people with no underlying health issues. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that for someone with osteoporosis increasing weight too quickly could be a very bad thing. As the saying goes, don't let perfect be the enemy of good. Any lifting, assuming you push yourself just a little, is probably going to be beneficial. And if you dislike weights but yoga is okay then body weight exercises may be more your thing.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Squats

Read up on squats and bone density improvements

Years ago I worked as a weight room guy at the YMCA.

I saw many a middle aged woman sent in by her doctor to add resistance exercise, especially squats. Of course it is a slow weight progression considering knee condition

You may also find a link between longevity and overall health between the ability to get up off the floor while checking out squats.

So many benefits

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that link @tiptoethruthetulips

Maybe incorporating a lifting routine is the way to go. I have started 5x5 so many times over the years but stop after a few days. It isn't something I like to do. I think that is why I don't stick with it. That and I'm so weak it is pathetic. 5kg added to each side of the bar feels like a major struggle to me.

So start with just the bar.... That's the whole point of progressive lifting, start with what's heavy for YOU and build up slowly
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Squats

Read up on squats and bone density improvements

Years ago I worked as a weight room guy at the YMCA.

I saw many a middle aged woman sent in by her doctor to add resistance exercise, especially squats. Of course it is a slow weight progression considering knee condition

You may also find a link between longevity and overall health between the ability to get up off the floor while checking out squats.

So many benefits

I didn't realise that squats could help. That is something I can build in from today. Thanks :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    @TavistockToad I feel pathetically weak lifting it with a weight on, I'd feel even worse with an empty bar lol

There seems to be a consensus that weights will help though so looks like I need to suck it up and get on with it!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    I too found a 5x5 programme a little intimidating so have just started doing the All Pro programme. It is a compound progressive lifting programme like a 5x5 but you progress on reps before you progress on weight. That suits my age, abilities, and comfort level.

I am not strong enough to use an Olympic Bar for anything but a dead lift(empty bar), so I use body bars, hand weights and machines- whatever gets the move done at my fitness level.

Eventually I would like to do the routine as written, I am not holding my breath, but until then, I will work it to the best of my abilities, progressing slowly but surely.

Don't let what others are doing in the gym intimidate you, everyone is there doing their own thing.

Nerdfitness does a great body weight routine that you could do at home.

Cheers, h.
    All Pro:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160947761

Nerdfitness:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I can second using a different program if you are interested in weightlifting but not yet ready for the bar.
    Personally I do strong curves, which starts with bodyweight and dumbells and graduates to the bar.
    I think it is the same for NROL(W).

Otherwise you can also look for a dumbell only program.
    There are many different ways to lift weights.