Orlistat / Alli advicefrom someone?

Options
First of all, please no lectures. I know the old fashioned way is best but after a lot of ups and downs I needed a little help.

I travel a lot for work and this has been my biggest downfall. I am excited about Alli because I can take this when I have to travel and eat out or dine out or go to a special event.... as a helper. I don't use it as a free pass to eat whatever. But it's helping me not to plateau.

Question: I couldn't take this all the time if I wanted to because when I do it severily dries me out. I think it's a combination of the dry winter also but it makes all my membranes feel dry... eyes, nose, and throat... unconfortably so and while I am sleeping.

Does anyone have advice on how to counter act this???? Anyone have similar issues?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I know far too many people who have shat themselves while taking Alli. I'd be terrified to take it while travelling or eating out or going to a special event.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    All around bad stuff stay away! Eat clean healthy diet instead. If you don't want to hear the truth, don't ask the question!
  • sbernstein3
    sbernstein3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It hasn't been too bad for me. I just have to try and keep my fat intake down to begin with. I tend to be on the side of constipated by nature so I think that helps.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about Orlistat other than what I have read on here that it stops fat absorbing.

I know that my Husbands optician tells him to take oil/fat supplements to help prevent his dry eye syndrome. It sounds like your body is not getting the fats it needs.

I'd speak to your Dr and report the symptoms.
  • sbernstein3
    Options
    Ok thanks all.... I might be able to do a fish oil supplement with my vitamins before bed..
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Other than drinking more water (or chewing gum & hard candy for the mouth & throat), I got nothin'.

As for the drug... if you use it, carry extra clothes (esp. undies), and a plastic bag to put them in, and maybe even
    consider an adult diaper (at least until you know how it will affect you, if you'll have time to get to the bathroom).

I think it's sort of like antabuse. You'll get such a bad reaction from eating fat that you'll want to avoid eating fat.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yes, xeroderma (dry-skin) is an Adverse drug reaction for orlistat...albeit somewhat rare (2%). Just use a white petrolatum based moisturizer. If orlistat works in your favor from being constipated, then you are using the drug's adverse reactions in your favor...a very wise thing to do. If using the OTC version, you can double up the dose for the Rx dose if you can tolerate it...this dose impairs fat absorption approximately 30%. I'm sure you know about spacing MVIs away from orlistat due to the impaired absorption of lipid soluble vitamins. Short term, it's fine to use; just cycle it long term

For mouth and throat, Mouthkote or Oasis are good artificial saliva substitutes for people with xerostomia
    <-Drug Dealer
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    The lack of fat in your diet is likely contributing to the dryness as well. Normally, I would just tell you to up for fat intake, but since you're on Ali, that would just make you crap yourself.

Just get a good moisturizer and apply it often. Lotions with shea butter and jojoba oil are particularly soothing on dry skin during the winter months. Nubian Naturals makes some really nice black African lotions that are wonderful on dry skin. If you can't find those, you can also rub plain coconut oil or olive oil (the kind that you would cook with) onto your skin.
  • sbernstein3
    Options
    V_Keto_V wrote: »
    Yes, xeroderma (dry-skin) is an Adverse drug reaction for orlistat...albeit somewhat rare (2%). Just use a white petrolatum based moisturizer. If orlistat works in your favor from being constipated, then you are using the drug's adverse reactions in your favor...a very wise thing to do. If using the OTC version, you can double up the dose for the Rx dose if you can tolerate it...this dose impairs fat absorption approximately 30%. I'm sure you know about spacing MVIs away from orlistat due to the impaired absorption of lipid soluble vitamins. Short term, it's fine to use; just cycle it long term

For mouth and throat, Mouthkote or Oasis are good artificial saliva substitutes for people with xerostomia
    <-Drug Dealer

This is helpful ty
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I was at an art exhibit once and I sharted. I had to leave in a hurry. So I stopped taking it.
  • Physick
    Physick Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Heh, just treat it like you'd treat a marathon.

Never trust a fart.

:)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The two worst side effects I have heard of are leakage when people have a bit of extra fat and hormonal issues. Our bodies need dietary fat for certain hormones and to help burn fat. I would be very careful about using them while eating out since most restaurants tend to have higher fat content.
  • sbernstein3
    Options
    Physick wrote: »
    Heh, just treat it like you'd treat a marathon.

Never trust a fart.

:)

Lolol..... so far it has been good for me. I just wanted to give a little feedback. I stopped using it for about a week to get my body normal again. I took it thurs and fri for thanksgiving. I still watched what I ate but it did help me to stay on my course despite having desert and eating gravy. I am still at my goal.

I also took some for one meal yeaterday. I am just barely starting to feel the dryness sink in today on sunday.... but it's good because I am not going to need it today.

As for the oily stool... I do notice it but it comes after solid stool since I am not taking it all the time. I haven't had issues where it has ever been a surprise. ..... so far so good.

I think I will be able to continue using on an as needed basis.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I hope you never have a bad experience. I know I've read way too many stories to even think about it as an option. Way too many horrible, horrible stories.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    if you stick to eating 15 grams of fat or under at each meal, you shouldn't have an issues. it's people who eat too much at once that tend to get side effects.
  • sbernstein3
    Options
    if you stick to eating 15 grams of fat or under at each meal, you shouldn't have an issues. it's people who eat too much at once that tend to get side effects.

Agreed. I'm not always exact but I'm watching it.