Feeling Discouraged need motivation

Options
Hi lately I have been feeling Discouraged at my Diet and Weight Loss plan and I need to get back on track soon as possible I've been feeling like I just fell off the wagon and don't care I wanna get back on the train and feel like I can Accomplish my goals. I did however manage to lose 2 sizes in wind pants and that is huge for me as I was wearing men's sizes and I'm now in women's sizes so I feel good about that just nothing else. Please feel free to add me as a friend and also please feel free to leave me any tips that you may have.

Replies

• hawaiinaturals
    hawaiinaturals Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That's awesome don't get discouraged!
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    added bro. I am always full of unsolicited advice and nonsensical ramblings.
  • cladinose
    cladinose Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I personally see that as a great feat keep it up! I also believe that the more you exercise the better you feel, so maybe once you hope back on your train, you will feel better about yourself and your goals. My tip would be is to have that goal in your mind and when ever you want to jump off the wagon, remember why you started in the first place. And think of how much happier/healthier you will be once you accomplish your goal.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie, but I'll put this out there in the spirit of "something that works when you're trying to turn a corner." The best thing for me about this site is logging in what I eat every day, and what exercise sessions I complete. I'm not obsessive about counting the calories accurately, but I do try to be honest with myself about portion sizes. Once I found a combination of daily calories and daily treadmill minutes that worked, I saw the weight start coming off slowly but surely: 7 lbs. since I joined on Nov. 9. It's not a starvation diet by any means, it's between 1600 and 1800 calories a day consistently. Also, as old and fat as I am, this is not super-athletic training, just treadmill work at a walking pace. Jogging will have to come later, when I get more weight off my old (59) joints.

Left to my own thoughtless instincts, I'd overeat every day. Logging in each meal keeps me focused, in addition to following my doctor's strict, clear instructions: 45 minutes of exercise every single day with my heart rate over 110. I can't get that high with simple walking; it requires climbing. Since I'm on the Gulf Coast of Texas (hey, not that far from you!), which means no hills, I set the treadmill at a 15% incline.

Anyway, just my two cents: try (or go back to?) the logging in. I like the "November 2015 weight challenge" thread, too. The people who post progress here are reporting fairly simple but quite consistent routines rather than any complicated inspirations. The inspiration comes from the results. Your pant-size reduction is a good example. That's tremendous. You know you can do it.
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    figure out what it is that you want out of this. For me the big thing is i want to get off certain medications. I envision myself at a smaller size being able to go up the stairs without sounding like i'm dieing. I want to fit into regular seats at concerts. I want to shop in regular stores not in plus size stores!
    & yes i get discouraged & the negative voices start taking over but so far i've overcome those to carry on. My friends in MFP have helped me immensely & i hope i have also helped them.
    Feel free to add me
    i'm down 68 pounds so far with around 30 to 50 more to go!
  • Drama74
    Drama74 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Billy323 wrote: »
    added bro. I am always full of unsolicited advice and nonsensical ramblings.

I laughed at this. Lots!
  • Silpeanut
    Silpeanut Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    HI there! The weight loss journey can be a really hard one. I have struggled over the last 6 years to lose 20lbs and I still have 25lbs to go. I have found it much easier since I joined MFP and made MFP friends that inspire, support and motivate me. The accountability of having an open diary is also a great motivator. We all have bad days but we can't let them control us or how we feel about ourselves, we are only human. The important thing is that that you pick yourself back up again and don't let the negativity win. Feel free to add me if you are looking for supportive and positive friends. Stay strong and have an awesome day!
  • zorahgail
    zorahgail Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hang in there @lisafit37! Why are you feeling discouraged? Getting back on track can feel overwhelming, and sometimes the journey feels like it'll never end.

You CAN do this! How can you make getting back on the wagon easy? Here are some tips on creating consistency (shared on other threads but it seems to help each time I posted):

1. Remember that consistency is built over time, and that the upward trend is more important than a bad day or two (or week/month/year LOL).

2. Look for all-or-nothing thinking, and challenge it. Are you being a perfectionist or unrealistic with your expectations?

3. Pick ONE battle to fight. It's so easy to want to make ALL.THE.CHANGES. at once, and to have them be done overnight. When I'm highly motivated, I might be able to hit it really hard for a short time, but eventually I burn myself out. So when things get tough, I pick one thing (usually a back-to-basics thing) and devote my energy to that.

4. Honor commitments to yourself. This is about building (or rebuilding) trust that you'll do what you say you're going to do. It can be easy to believe you'll never lose the weight or finish that 5K or fit into that dress when you have little confidence in your ability to follow-through. Start small, forgive yourself when you struggle, and believe that yes, one day you will do the REALLY.HARD.THING.

5. Ignore your feelings. When your inner 2-year old is throwing a tantrum and crying things like “I can’t do this”, “I don’t wanna”, “Why?!?!”, or "I don't feel like it", ignore it and stick to the plan.

6. Throw yourself a pity party. Set a timer for 10-60 minutes and go full-on feeling sorry for yourself. Once the time's up, move on.

7. Remind yourself of your "why." What's your honest-to-goodness, deep-in-your-soul reason for doing this fitness/health/weight loss thing?

8. Answer "What do I want for myself?" Get very specific. Get detailed with your senses – what will you see/hear/touch/smell/taste when you get what you want? What thoughts will you have, what emotions will you experience?

9. Take a teeny tiny, smaller-than-a-baby-step action. When you want to quit and give up, take a miniscule action that's worth doing to keep moving forward. I'm talking so small that it's IMPOSSIBLE to fail, and that sets you up for inevitable success.
  • lisafit37
    lisafit37 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the tips I'm gonna take it slow and follow these and see what happens
  • zorahgail
    zorahgail Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Keep us posted @lisafit37 and reach out anytime!
  • dannyspencer19
    dannyspencer19 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey please feel free to add me il always lend a ear or happy to give some advice! :)