Would someone please explain to me~

Options
If anyone knows why in the hell my feet start to fall asleep towards the latter part of my workout on my elliptical machine, i would greatly appreciate it. It drives me crazy!... I don't get it. Does this happen to anyone else???:grumble:

Replies

• findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. Sometimes I think its because my shoes are tied too tight, but Im not really sure
  • Monticello
    Monticello Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get foot numbness on the elliptical and recumbent style bikes at my gym. Can't do more than 30 minutes or so because of it. Anyone got a solution?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    ever had your sugar checked?..if not you may want to go have a glucose reading
  • hopebuck
    hopebuck Posts: 138
    Options
    it's the ellipitcal..i think it's how your foot is positioned orsomething b/c it happen to me too...... and i dont' have any glucose issues :)
  • Jade1964
    Jade1964 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Does it to me as well!
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too. I talked to my doctor about it and she says it happens to her as well. It's pretty normal. What I do is stop going forward for a few seconds to give my feet a quick break. It seems to help.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I can't use an elliptical for too long cause it does it to me too..... It may have something to do with the angle of the foot pedal things....not sure though.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Yep, same thing here. I can only go about 45-60 minutes before I can't take it anymore.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    foot position and shoe tightness. Remember those things next time and see if it fixes the problem. If not, it may be a little more complicated.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    never experienced it but I would be concerned that either shoes/socks are too tight (feet will swell a little during workouts) or that your heart rate is getting too high and is leading to poor circulation to and from your feet.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I used to get that when I used a nordic trak (remember those!). I was scared bc there is a history of MS in my family, so I went to a neurologist.

I had "tarsal tunnel syndrome", like carpal tunnel of the wrist, only this was in the lower extremeties! A repetitive stress injury!

Changed my exercise and it went away. Good luck! blessings!
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yup. I've noticed that if I loosen my shoes a bit on the elliptical, my feet don't fall asleep.

Also, when I'm in my Body pump class, I have to TIGHTEN my shoes, or I get cramps in my feet. I'm constantly tightening/loosening my shoes. Annoying.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Never happened to me, but I've seen many threads about it. I've heard it can come from being up on your toes instead of flat feet on the machine.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I think it has something to do with your heart rate - and your blood only going to the parts where it's desperately needed. I notice my feet go a bit numb on the elliptical, and also my hands got numb on the weekend when I went for a big bike ride. Those big quads seem to suck all the blood!! I don't mind though... means they're getting stronger!
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    Wow, interesting it happens to me all the time. I don't want to stop using the elliptical as I have arthritis on my knees. Is one of the lowest impact on your knees. Is the only cardio equipment I own. I do a variety of other exercises at the gym and of course dvds.

Thank you for sharing,

best,
    Rosie
  • kellyr730
    kellyr730 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It does that to me too and I asked one of the trainers ar the gym and he said if you roll your feet (instead of keeping them flat or or your toes) while you're doing it that will help - seems to work OK for me
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!~ Now i know i'm not crazy!... :flowerforyou:
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Wow, interesting it happens to me all the time. I don't want to stop using the elliptical as I have arthritis on my knees. Is one of the lowest impact on your knees. Is the only cardio equipment I own. I do a variety of other exercises at the gym and of course dvds.

Thank you for sharing,

best,
    Rosie

Hi Rosie, have you tried spin class? Very easy on the knees but fantastic on the calorie burn. blessings, Laurel, spin instructor :)
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    yeah, i've seen a lot of people talk about this. i usually try to wiggle my toes every few minutes or just jump off the machine and hop around for a few seconds lol
  • blynnarnold
    blynnarnold Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I used to have this same problem and I think it might be the shoes you're wearing. I bought a pair of Reebok ZigZags and I dont have this problem any more. I tried multiple pairs of shoes prior to the zig zags and it never changed anything. I'm not saying the zig zags are the answer - you gotta find a pair that work for you. Hope this helps.