At Home Work out DVDs that have worked for you

Options
I am interested in getting a home workout DVD set... But I need some input from people that have used some of these workouts.... I keep reading reviews but they are mainly by people that already fit... Any input good or bad would be greatly appreciated! I am asking because the only gym in my town closes at 9pm weekdays and 3pm Saturdays and Sundays... I work a weird schedule and I get out at 8:30 everyday so it's not worth the membership fees for not being able to use all of the facilities.

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Beachbody's Les Mills Combat is one I'm currently using frequently. Lots of kicking, punching, it's really fun.

For streaming, I enjoy fitness blender, quality workouts for free, available on youtube. If you go to their website, you can specify the type of workout you'd like, the area of the body you'd like to work, intensity, calorie burn, equipment. Seriously, hundreds of possibilities. I highly recommend checking them out.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I started insanity when I was 210lbs and not fit. Started body beast shortly after. Some workouts you just have to go at your own pace. I credit insanity for getting me into enough shape to run again. I am slow but I run.
  • mikene12
    mikene12 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Went from 225 down to 168 using P90X and Insanity. Great programs!
  • airuhka2006
    airuhka2006 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    mikene12 wrote: »
    Went from 225 down to 168 using P90X and Insanity. Great programs!

How long did it take you using these programs?
  • airuhka2006
    airuhka2006 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have heard a lot of good things about Insanity, so I am seriously looking into it... Also, what are your eating habits like while doing these programs?

Thanks so much for the fitness blender recommendation! I will be checking that out!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have learned to follow the calorie requirements they send with the programs. For a few rounds I was trying to eat too littl and would end up too tired, burnt out, no motivation. When I eat what hey tell me to calorie wise, I have enough energy to complete the program. Currently I am done month one eating 16-1800cal and down 11lbs! On to month two.
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Try bikini body mommy. She has free YouTube videos that involve HIIT training. She uses minimal equipment and has modifications for those who need it. I find her annoying but the workouts are simple and good. She's helped me to improve my running time by 20 seconds per mile. Her workouts are only 20-25 minutes long and alternate between cardio and strength, but being HIIT they are all cardio in a way. I sometimes do the back to back. I like her 3.0 the best. She has 90 days of workouts total. Something to look into before paying for a DVD set.
  • performfully
    performfully Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This is older, but I LOVE turbo jam. Turbo fire is fun too, but I have some cardiac issues that keep me from being able to go as fast as they do. They both come with a ton of DVDs so you don't get bored, and TJ is great for beginners! I give it credit for 40 lbs I lost!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I like the old ones: Richard Simmons and Denise Austin. They're both so different, but I like them a lot.

Nobody is more encouraging while pushing you than Denise...or so calm during yoga while I'm like, "Aag!" She reminds me what the point of yoga is, lol. :)
  • daross16
    daross16 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    That Jillian Michael 30 day shred got me going. My roommate and I would do it in our dorm and use cans of soup for weights. Lol. I just pause the sound though and play my own music. Also insanity murdered me. Lost weight but daaaaaammnnnnnnnn.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i love love love les mill body combat - love the fight!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I have Jillian Michaels Beginner Shred and though I haven't made it all the way through the program, I notice it in other ways, like faster times on my walk to work, more energy and strength at the rink...recommend!
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Another body combat lover here
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender on youtube. Tons of free videos appropriate for all levels of fitness. They also cover all sorts of stuff such as strength training, cardio, pilates, upper body, lower, and full body.

Personally I love that they are realistic about things and aren't all "rah rah... you are great..." as I find that annoying. They just talk you through how to do things and let you get on with it.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    30 day shred by jillian got me on the fitness wagon for the first time I can recommend! !
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Even though I dislike the sales aspect of Beachbody, I have to say I love the workouts. I've done Focus T25, 21 Day Fix/21 Day Fix Extreme, and I'm currently doing ChaLEAN Extreme plus TurboFire HIIT & Abs on one of my two off days.

For beginners or just the winter months when it may be too cold or icy to walk outside, I highly recommend walking videos on YouTube from Leslie Sansone or Jessica Smith. You really get a good workout in.
  • sabrinacrandall
    sabrinacrandall Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Kelly Coffrey-Meyer's 30 minutes to fitness DVDs are excellent. I highly recommend them for a mix of cardio and resistance training. Requires at the least either dumbbells or a kettlebell depending on the DVD. There's also a great olympic lifting program on one of them. They're structured as interval training for the most part.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Beachbody's Les Mills Combat is one I'm currently using frequently. Lots of kicking, punching, it's really fun.

For streaming, I enjoy fitness blender, quality workouts for free, available on youtube. If you go to their website, you can specify the type of workout you'd like, the area of the body you'd like to work, intensity, calorie burn, equipment. Seriously, hundreds of possibilities. I highly recommend checking them out.

I love Combat too.

Seriously though, get this https://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/on-demand-workout-videos.do?e=451615

You get 30 days free to try out the programs you like. I don't know exactly what's on it or how much it costs after, but if you really fall in love with a program, you can just buy it after you cancel. I've tried a bunch of Beachbody programs and they were all pretty fun.

• stacilynn_1215
    stacilynn_1215 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I loved insanity! And found it gave me the best results in the shortest amount of time. Right now, I am doing the 21 Day Fix and focusing on my nutrition, but the DVDs that come with it are effective too. :)
  • New_determination
    New_determination Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Recently started doing some of bob harpers kettle bell n core workouts n it's awesome!! I like how he has actual ppl in the class that he corrects as he goes not fitness models who smile the whole time.