Your recipes for keto diet

Options
Hi all, I want to start the keto diet and would like some ideas for meals. Breakfast lunch dinner snacks desserts... It doesn't matter. Anything will help. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Just think eggs, bacon, bulletproof coffee, sausages, and omelets for breakfast. Leftovers are good too.

Lunch could be cheeses and meats, lettuce roll-ups, salad, keto pizza (no crust), left overs, tuna mayo and celery, or a bowl of nuts.

Dinner is easy. Meat and veggies.

Snacks can be nuts, meats and cheese, avocado, coconut, or whipped cream and cocoa. Oh, fat bombs!

For more ideas try joining the Low Craber Daily group or keto group. Look up some keto recipes on line. Paleo recipes can often be turned low carb. Atkins is a source for info too.

It is probably best if you eat the way you like, just skip the sugary and starchy foods, use full fat dairy (cream instead of skim), and use fattier cuts of meat.

Good luck.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    A good place to start is here:
    https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=keto+recipes&term_meta[]=recipes|guide|word|0&add_refine=recipes|guide|word|0

On Facebook do a search for "keto" and many groups with recipes will come up.

I don't use recipes that much at the moment. I use a lot repetition with core foods I like.
    When I started tho (3 years ago), I did a lot of low carb version of sweets like one minute muffins (OMM), etc. I don't need them that much anymore. But Pinterest has tons of recipes and links to websites full of recipes. And usually, they provide net carb counts for you.
    If you look up low carb, LCHF, or paleo, other recipes that will work also come up.

Crust-less quiches or frittatas are great. I love spaghetti squash with home-made low carb sauce.
    Broccoli cheese soup with stock I made from Costco chicken bones also a fav.
    Making taco meat and all the fixings except the shells is delicious.
    I don't do breakfast much anymore, but when I did, Fage plain greek yogurt is lower carb than most. Mix in some blueberries, nuts, cream...very filling.
    Recipes for a chia seed version of oatmeal are also great when you want something warm.
    But eggs and bacon always great.

What type of food were you into?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You may find this website useful. I used it when I tried keto
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

She has collected a wealth of low carb recipes. The one that have the "*" symbol may be better suited for keto than others, but you may still be able to fit the one without the symbol.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • kaysday
    kaysday Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • kaysday
    Options
    I have been seeing more and more of this keto and am starting to like some of the benefits and results. To be honest before all I did was eat alittle of anything including carbs and sweets as long as it fit into my calorie goals for the day. I didn't look much at the macros. Was able to drop 30 pounds in three months. That was mainly because I have more to lose. I started at 330 pounds. It is taking a little longer to come off now and I was looking into some things to do.
  • Pollywog_la
    Options
    kaysday wrote: »
    I have been seeing more and more of this keto and am starting to like some of the benefits and results. To be honest before all I did was eat alittle of anything including carbs and sweets as long as it fit into my calorie goals for the day. I didn't look much at the macros. Was able to drop 30 pounds in three months. That was mainly because I have more to lose. I started at 330 pounds. It is taking a little longer to come off now and I was looking into some things to do.

If you have never done keto, definitely look into it more.
    A lot (maybe most) people that go low carb or keto experience "keto flu" in the beginning that can last from a few days to a few weeks. For me it was 11 days of feeling tired and brain foggy. But I knew it was temporary and felt great afterwards. But it is an adjustment getting your body to use ketone bodies as fuel instead of glucose for many functions. And that initial water weight loss removes salts you need to replace.

Look through places like this:
    www.reddit.com/r/keto/
    Lots of information and discussion.

I started at 324 and lost 100 lb so far. Had plateaus I had to wait out, but this WOE works for me as far as not being hungry and enjoying what I eat.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keto flu isn't fun. As @Pollywog_la said, you can reduce the symptoms by increasing sodium. Getting up to 5000mg of sodium per day is a good level to start at. I took to drinking broth everyday and even salting my water. It seems like an odd thing to do but it helps.

Keto flu lasted almost 2 weeks for me because I didn't go low enough carb (I kept depleting and refilling my glycogen stores) and I was reluctant to increase my salt.

I've lost 35 lbs or so in the last 5 months, and I am only 10lbs above goal now.
  • kaysday
    Options
    Thanks for that info. I knew nothing of the " keto flu" I will do more reading and exploring.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    websites I like for keto recipes:

www.mariamindbodyhealth.com
    www.alldayIdreamaboutfood.com
    www.peaceloveandlowcarb.com
    www.lowcarbyum.com
    www.lowcarbsosimple.com
    www.cutthewheat.com
    www.nobunplease.com
    www.djfoodie.com
    www.ibreatheimhungry.com
    www.momcanihavethat.com
    www.ruled.me
    www.ketodietapp.com/blog
  • catsch1958
    catsch1958 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the websites! Anyone have a good keto recipe book they can recommend? I'm finding tons with high protein low carb, but not so much the LCHF recipes. There has to be more than just plain meat even plain bacon with or without cheese. I find I am getting bored of the variety quickly.
  • Phrick
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Maria Emmerich's (Maria Mind Body Health website above) has several cook books and in fact, most of the website authors above have published paper and/or e-cookbooks available on amazon. I know for a fact that Peace Love & Low Carb does (the author is Kyndra Holley) and the Keto Diet App (Basic) is basically an app of recipe after recipe after recipe with available in-app purchases of even more recipe bundles.

additionally all of those blogs have Facebook pages where they share recipes on a regular basis, sometimes several recipes a day so following them on FB is sufficient to start to gather a good collection of solid LCHF recipes.
  • Phrick
    Options
    more websites I can't believe I forgot:

www.fluffychixcook.com
    www.mytootiefoodie.com
    www.lowcarbzen.com
    www.lowcarbfoods.com
    www.thelowcarbtestkitchen.com

And Kyndra of Peace Love and Low Carb put together this pretty comprehensive resource too -
    http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/2015/08/the-ultimate-low-carb-resource-guide.html
  • Pollywog_la
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    more websites I can't believe I forgot:

www.fluffychixcook.com
    www.mytootiefoodie.com
    www.lowcarbzen.com
    www.lowcarbfoods.com
    www.thelowcarbtestkitchen.com

And Kyndra of Peace Love and Low Carb put together this pretty comprehensive resource too -
    http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/2015/08/the-ultimate-low-carb-resource-guide.html

Thanks for all the links. I have been to most of those over the years, but always forget to bookmark them all.
  • iVirgo
    iVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love this thread