Moving to MFP from WW

Options
With all the changes happening with WW...I've noticed that a lot of people are mentioning coming here from there. I was just wondering if anyone on the boards was/is a WW member. If you are, what do you think about the changes and are you planning on staying here or staying there?

Replies

• KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm a 4-year WW member, evaluating MFP. I like most of the WW changes, but the activity points (at least, syncing with Fitbit) has been totally flaky, which makes WW unusable for me right now. Also, the website won't show all my favorites, so logging on the website isn't working.

So far, I'm really liking MFP. It wouldn't have worked for me 4 years ago, because I needed the WW structure. Now I have enough sense of what does and doesn't work for me that I think MFP will meet my needs better. Have to decide by my Dec 16 renewal. :)
  • countrylove12
    countrylove12 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My renewal day is the 11th - and my points do not reset until then, so I won't even get to try SmartPoints before my decision. I know they're trying to incorporate less saturated fat, and less sugar. A poster from the UK said that the candy they like has doubled in points. I skipped ahead in my plan and I usually get 26 daily points and now with SmartPoints I'll get 30. I also used to get 49 weekly points and now with SmartPoints I'll get 35. I think that's a serious cut back for people who are used to using their 49 points.
  • Living360
    Living360 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Each WW point equals a certain number of calories. When I was there 1 point = 40 calories. The true measure of success will depend on which structure works best for you. Do you need someone to weigh you? Do you need an in person cheering section? Do you need to pay money to be serious? Eating at a calorie deficit is how you lose weight. I am a lifetime WW member who over the years has gained every pound back plus many more. I want a long term healthy lifestyle now and when I work MFP, it works for me.
  • countrylove12
    Options
    @Living360 ...I've heard a lot of things from a lot of people that weight watchers has taught people to eat to their plan only. Therefore, people who go off or achieve lifetime often gain back weight. They are a business, so to keep everyone at lifetime getting their offerings for free would mean they would essentially lose money...I've heard people say that and it makes a lot of sense to me. I've been on and off WW for the past 6 years. I can't tell you how many time I've been on and then quit. I feel like counting calories is something I can do for life, where ww is something I often don't even like to share with others that I am on.
  • domaha28
    domaha28 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was on WW and just stopped my membership. I couldn't log my points, no favorites, or the app (which I used 95% of the time) would just bounce and not let me go anywhere. VERY aggravating! The discussion board on here seems to be so much more geared to helping each other. The WW discussion boards were different. They seemed to talk about what was going on in their daily lives not their weight loss. Just different I guess. Hoping this site will give me the support I need. Seems to be working so far :smiley:
  • dogwalk
    dogwalk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think WW is getting expensive 1/2 hour class,W.W .lacks motivation,needs to motivate their clients with teams working together to lose weight, you can go to curves get 1-1 council with diet plus work out for what w.w. cost a week,W.W. has helped me lose weight in the past but the weekly meetings keep costing more for what ? someone to weigh you,anyway that's my opiniom,feel fee to share yours
  • Living360
    Living360 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I joined a recently started MFP group Slim by Summer 2016. And also a group 6 pounds in 6 weeks where we keep a spreadsheet of our progress and connect through posts. Look around the website, there are so many options here.
  • countrylove12
    Options
    @dogwalk I totally agree with what you're saying. For me, it's a little different because I do weight watchers just online. It's almost as if I'm doing what I'm doing on MFP but paying for it on WW. I initially thought it would help because the points make things count differently towards what you have for the day. However, I started to not really get why things that are really healthy for you are a lot of points.
  • bcjan562
    bcjan562 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am leaving WW also, my last day is Tuesday. I'm not going to pay my hard earned money for that mess. I am currently signed up for myfitnesspal and also iTrackBite (cost a 1 time $4.00, way cheaper than WW) I am getting used to doing the calorie count with this site and I can sync my Fitbit here also. iTrackBite uses points but I can't use my Fitbit with it. Both are very user friendly. I also like the discussion boards on both of these sites. Good luck to everyone!
  • bcjan562
    Options
    Just thought I'd let you all know that there are quite a few ex WW members on the iTrackBite site also. ;)
  • bmj2015
    bmj2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am also leaving. Not so much because of SmartPoints but because I hate the new website and user interface.
  • jenn8074
    jenn8074 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, me too! I'm an online only WW member and it seems crazy to be paying for access to a site that consistently doesn't work for even the most basic tracking tasks, when we can be over here for free.

I also don't like that they de-emphasized the online community features in their redesign. And, as someone mentioned previously, the community at the WW site was just... Odd. The community support at MFP is so much stronger.
  • CrazyCatLady129
    CrazyCatLady129 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have left WW as well. I was an online only member and their new website was just horrible. I like MFP. After years of points, I am finding it interesting to see not just calories, but fat, carbs, etc. for each food. The Fitbit sync works far better here than on WW, too.
  • countrylove12
    Options
    Comforting to know I'm not the only one. Since that fabulous website over at WW works so well, I can't change my weigh in day. My plan was to try the new SmartPoints system before really making a decision, however, my WI day is on a Friday so my SmartPoints won't reset until December 11, the same day that my plan renews. I've been back and forth on WW so many times, I really think I'd like to go into the new year with something new and fresh like MFP. Plus, I can't understand how a company like WW would have such a horrible transition into their new website/plan and not be helping their users more. I don't know if I want to be a part of a company like that. Know what I mean?
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I quit WWs; I had only limited success with their program because with the point system I never really understood how to lose weight. I just followed their program, which for me, was not the best weight loss plan. I actually hit my WWs goal so I'm a lifetime member, but kept putting the weight back on -- returning to WWs over and over again.

I found MFP quite by accident, joined almost 2 years ago now, read many of the stickies about how to lose weight -- Calories in / Calories out and something clicked. I set a realistic weight loss goal, managed my macros (protein/fat/carbs) and I've lost 51 lbs doing so. I'm finally at a healthy weight for a 5'2.5" 66 year old woman (currently 127 lbs/US Size 3/4 Petite). I'm looking to lose about 4-5 more pounds before I officially hit my maintenance goal range (122-125 lbs). It will probably take me another 6 months but I also learned that there's no time limit and no rush to lose. It will happen over time.

I educated myself about nutrition; how to create a calorie deficit without constantly feeling hungry, how to incorporate exercise for heart health (cardio), strong bones (resistance training), and flexibility (yoga, pilates) as part of a healthy lifestyle.

I eat whatever I want using portion control, a food scale to weigh for measuring and weighing my food, and stay active with moderate exercise.

The best thing I ever did was to quit Weight Watchers and join MFP.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I came from WW online and you can add me if you like. WW does not let you track macros and MFP has a better database for foods. I pay for MFP now and it is totally worth it. Do what works best for you. Both apps are good. If you feel you can dedicate yourself to one or the other, stick with the one that has you more dedicated.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off a member of WW for the last 30 years. When I first joined, they had you check boxes per each serving of protein, veggie's, milk, fat, etc. that you had each day - each day you had a certain number of servings. I actually did pretty well with that system until they went all "Fat and Fiber" and "Points".

A few years ago, I started up on MFP at the advice of a nutritionist. Knowing where the calories were going was a HUGE help. What I mean by that is that when I'm hungry, I can look at the numbers and see if I'm low on fiber, or protein, and make an appropriate choice to curb the hunger when needed. I joined WW shortly thereafter because they gave me more food than MFP was giving me and I was still loosing weight.

Now, that being said, I've gained back quite a bit over the last year. BUT today's a new day. I went and weighed in today, and took a look at the website. Now when you go to calculate the points, they look at not just fat, fiber, protein and carbs, but also calories, saturated fat, and sugar content.

I am REALLY skeptical about that, but am willing to see how it goes. I may end up ditching WW and paying for MFP. Right now I'm only paying for WW. We'll see.

• bcjan562
    Options
    So right about the database for food mattcyc. Because I have noticed Kirkland and Costco food in my searches, I searched Costco chicken stuffed with feta, spinach and asparagus. My jaw dropped when it showed up!! I am impressed!! With WW I would have had to have calculated everything individually.

Totally understand what you mean countrylove12. The whole WW Beta experience has been a huge mess. Thought the email I received today from WW, may have said something to us all about what is happening and perhaps an apology, but nope, it talked about surviving December (eating) and I thought it should be more like surviving WW website and app through December :p
  • countrylove12
    Options
    I did it just now...cancelled Weight Watchers! I have been on and off for the past 6 years...I'd like to start the new year fresh with something new, that I am not embarrassed about and that I can do for a lifetime. I think MFP is the way to go! :)
  • crhanna40
    crhanna40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The app didn't work half the time, which was terribly annoying. I have used MFP in the past and thought I'd give WeightWatchers a try. For me, it wasn't worth the money when I feel like a free site (MFP) provides me the same service. And the community here seems good too!