help! i smoke and want to quit asap

Options
13»

Replies

• plantedinpots
    plantedinpots Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i know you said you tried e-cigs already, but i'd recommend a mod. it's dope, they have different levels of nicotine juices and you can blow such fat clouds. definitely look into it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Hello posters,

I just wanted to inform you that I moved this topic from the Gaining Weight section to Motivation and Support, where it is a better fit.

Thank you,
    USMCMP
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
  • chesthairbrent
    chesthairbrent Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Where to start
    I have tried patches,e cigarettes. Chinese herbal therapy, sprays and going cold turkey

I ride 10-20 miles a day do at least 2 hours of intense exercise a day

I do not run as I really don't like it I do multiple sprints with jogging for a 1km interval and again the smoking has an effect on my breathing but not so much

To everyone that knows me they say that guys strong/ fit etc

But inside I'm far from healthy and would like to change that asap any tips or tricks to help me would be deeply appreciated

Many thanks in advance

I used combination therapy, patch and gum together.
  • strozman
    strozman Posts: 2,623 Member
    Options
    I vaped to quit smoking. Eventually cut the nicotine out
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    Also if anyone hands you a cigarette to tempt you, immediately crumple it up. They'll figure out after a while it's costing them money to try to tempt you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    motivccess wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one mentioned prescription Wellbutrin (bupropion)...heard it helps. never smoked myself so wouldn't know.

Tried it, never did a thing for me. Its basically an antidepressant. So if you are not smoking because you are depressed...not gonna work.

That's incorrect. In addition to its antidepressant properties, bupropion also decreases the severity of nicotine cravings and eases the withdrawal process. It has nothing to do with a depression/tobacco link.

That is what it is supposed to do, but I have not found it to work for myself or anyone I know in that manner...my comment was the common sense answer, not because I didn't know that this is what they claim it will do.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    hupsii wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies I'm from London and have done the nhs quit smoking program and that didn't work

The date setting sounds like a good idea I'll try that

Good luck - if you really want it , you can do it ! Just never, ever, have another one ... quitting smoking is easier than losing weight .

Disagree! Took me 2 years to loose my excess weight, it's taken me 5 years to quit smoking! Longest I've gone is 1 year. Difference is one McDonald's won't make you fat again. One cigarette will make you start again!
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Wow so many answers, I kinda had a epic moment this morning. Did what I usually do before I start work. I always make sure I have extra pack of cigarettes.well I dropped them while climbing my tower crane.it's kinda good timing as I saw a nutritionist last night.we had a hour consultation and was meant to send me details of smoking and how it damages the digestion.I climb up and down the crane two times looking for these cigarettes and then it hit me.I really don't want them.climb my crane. Calmly got in the cab and have been operating with no tobacco rage.

Awesome, sounds like you may have hit that tipping point.

Its been a whole day - how is it going?

• BigMikeP81
    BigMikeP81 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have been some free since May. I had an aortic aneurysm and had to have open heart surgery. 50/50 survival rate because of weight and being a smoker was an eye opener. Quit cold turkey the day before surgery and still fight urges...however my desire to live kills the urges now.
  • BigMikeP81
    BigMikeP81 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Smoke free*
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I set a date to quit for an elective surgery. I was ready after 25 years. I quit cold turkey on 9/8/2010 and have not picked up since. The first week or 2 were hard but I don't miss it at all now and detest the smell of smoke. You have to really want it. I'd quit a few times before, but this time is for good. Good luck!
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I smoked real cigs for twenty plus years now I vape full nicotine and no plans to quit that. The difference is great. There is no tar or additives. Nicotiene is not bad for you it is like caffiene.

There is no data on vaping yet so we dont know if it is bad for us per se.

I can tell you i feel milestones better. I can run and I smell better!!! Plus it so SOOOOOO much cheaper!!!!!! No odor no ash!!!!! And it gives me the feels I need just like smoking with out the nastiness.

It is not quitting but an alternative, you can try the step down method as mentioned above.

Get a variable voltage vaporizing cigarette with premium liquids, i use halo. The initial start up cost is great but once u are up and running it is cheap!

Good luck!

• saraonly9913
    Options
    I've heard people can get sick with water in their lungs. Happened to a friend of mine.
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    I quit with Chantix in 2011. It made me moody but I was willing to be irritated for a month if it meant me quitting cigarettes. As for dreams, I was having nightmares prior to taking Chantix so that wasn't an issue for me. Good luck. I hope you can quit soon.
  • HealthyChar1223
    HealthyChar1223 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am currently quitting right now. It is not easy. Just avoid your triggers. I always smoked while I was driving now I make sure I have a full water bottle instead and I just sip it as I drive. Sometimes I still get that urge to buy a pack as I drive by a gas station, but I just say no and sip water. I feel great and recently walked past someone who was smoming today and the smell was horrible. I had to quit I was smoking so much in a day it was ridiculous, I feel better though that's my motivation.
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Chantix. And coming to grips in my mind that I could never have another cigarette for the rest of my life. Not even while drinking with the girls. I also took up running to offset the weight gain and loved how my lungs felt and how fast I was getting. That was 7 years ago.

Good luck! Hardest thing to give up.
  • FleaBailey
    FleaBailey Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you can, change your environment. My trigger was a 10-day hospital stay, with treatments for a partially collapsed lung. After 36 hours I woke up with a breathing mask on and a nicotine patch on my arm. When I was awake and well enough to move around, I just kept thinking, "This is like being on an airplane. You can't smoke on a airplane, you know that." By the time I could move around the thought of trying to go outside the hospital to smoke never even crossed my mind.

When I was discharged my husband drove me to a fast food joint for lunch, and then he got out of the car to smoke. Not smoking after eating was a bit of an "acid test" but it worked--I didn't feel a strong urge to smoke. At home I spent a month on oxygen, with an e-cigarette that I kept as psychological support--I'd tell myself that if I still wanted to smoke in 30 minutes, I could use it. After the 30 minutes passed, the craving would always pass, and I never used the e-cigarette. I took the money I wasn't spending on cigarettes (over $50/week) and hired a personal trainer. Then I joined MFP and started counting calories. In the past 22 months I've lost 120 pounds, and haven't smoked once.

I carried around the open pack of cigarettes that had been in my purse when I was admitted to the hospital for about 12 months, as a sort of trophy, before I finally tossed them out. I still have an unopened carton in the cupboard that is almost 2 years old--another trophy. Hey, whatever works!
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am currently quitting right now. It is not easy. Just avoid your triggers. I always smoked while I was driving now I make sure I have a full water bottle instead and I just sip it as I drive. Sometimes I still get that urge to buy a pack as I drive by a gas station, but I just say no and sip water. I feel great and recently walked past someone who was smoming today and the smell was horrible. I had to quit I was smoking so much in a day it was ridiculous, I feel better though that's my motivation.

I found for a while I bought lottery scratchcards, basically to satisfy the desire to go into a newsagent and buy something over the counter!