Options
2»

Replies

• sunshinegirlx3
    sunshinegirlx3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Tomm88 wrote: »
    ndsein wrote: »
    Have you tried using albuterol inhaler 30 mins before physical exertion/running. It may help.

With all respect i think they best way to beat it is by using medicine less and less and as little as possible, making the lungs stronger, i delt with astma for years and it went away when i committed to exercise and used medicines only when it was really needed.

I personally try not to use medications I believe they do help in small doses I always fear that my body will become dependent on them for example my seasonal allergy medicine and my inhaler I only take my allergy medicine when I start getting stuffy I take it for about 3 days then stop it and I have not used my inhaler in years although I do carry it with me just incase. I think I am going to try the walking and jogging intervals until I feel comfortable enough to bump it up to just jogging... Thanks everyone for the help!
  • c1ownfishie
    c1ownfishie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've had asthma my entire life and I've completed two full marathons and a bunch of half marathons. They key is to make sure your asthma is well-controlled before you start running. I have exercise-induced asthma and will usually take two puffs of my albuterol inhaler before I go out on a run. I also always bring my inhaler with me when I go on any run longer than 5 miles. Everyone is different and you just need to figure out what works best for you. Having to stop after 1/2 a mile is nothing to be ashamed of. When I started I couldn't even run to the end of the block. It takes time, patience, and really listening to what your body is telling you. Feel free to add me if you would like to chat more!! I'm all about encouraging fellow asthmatics to achieve their fitness/exercise goals! Good luck! :smiley:
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma. I used to run a lot of half marathons. When I first started, I would use my inhaler and could hardly run a mile, due to my asthma issues and overall cardiovascular shortcomings. As I kept training, I found that my lungs got healthier and I needed my inhaler less and less. I eventually got to a point where I could run my half marathon without use of my inhaler at all. Now that I've switched over to powerlifting and do not run like I used to, I am back to needing my inhaler for even 1 to 2 mile runs.

I don't know the extent of your asthma, but it is possible to train your lungs to be healthier and have fewer problems with the asthma. Just be patient and keep at it (but listen to your doctor of course). :)