First day and a lot of weight to lose

Hi everyone!

I have been overweight for most of my life and after 10+ years gaining weight I'm here today weighing 305 lbs, needing to lose 162 lbs to have a normal weight. I'm lucky to have a family and friends that supports my decision to become healthier, my mother even wanted to go to my doctor's appointment last week to decide which way I should go to become a healthier person. As the doctor proposed that I started counting calories, that's when I found the myfitnesspal site to help me with this.
Despite having a great support here at home, I feel like I would love the support of people who have been/are going through the same things as me. I don't know anyone who needs to lose a similar amount than mine or even just half of that.

I hope to make new friends and offer the same kind of support and motivation! Thanks for reading all this and have a healthy and wonderful day! :smiley:

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    So glad your doctor prescribed counting calories - it truly is the easiest, least restrictive, and lifelong sustainable way to lose weight!

Don't think of it as a lot of weight to lose. Think of it in smaller chunks - it's easier for me to think of it in 10 lb units at a time. That way, when I lose 2lbs, and 5lbs, I can get excited for reaching my first goal all the quicker! (I started out with about 100 lbs to lose) Then when I hit the 10 lbs mark, I envision a 10lb bag of dog food or potatoes and think...that is GONE from me!!! :) And I start all over again.

You will probably lose quite a bit initially your first couple weeks, then it will slow down over time - a good healthy pace is about 2lbs a week until you are much closer to your goal weight.

The key is to be realistic in your demands on yourself. And you will screw up sometimes but do not let it make you think you are a failure. Just pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and put one foot in front of the other again.

Try not to restrict yourself from eating some of your favorite foods - find a way to work it into your daily food intake - within reason of course.

Make sure you eat enough protein and fats as this will help keep you from feeling starved all day. :)

There are some other excellent threads on MFP forums for getting started.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Here is a page with links to some of the BEST MFP threads ever. Read them all and absorb. :) Invest in a $10 digital food scale, and you're on your way!!!!!!!!! :) Good luck!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260517/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • tb139
    tb139 Posts: 5 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Here is a page with links to some of the BEST MFP threads ever. Read them all and absorb. :) Invest in a $10 digital food scale, and you're on your way!!!!!!!!! :) Good luck!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260517/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

thanks for all the suggestions!!! I don't want to hurt myself while doing this. I'm welcoming all the information I can get. I wanna do this in the most healthy and realistic way possible!
  • Jhailey408
    Jhailey408 Posts: 2 Member
    Welcome! I am new here as well. I'm 5'5 and a female and I weigh 232. My goal is to lose 100 pounds. I'm going to do the South Beach diet plus counting calories to kick it off. It's basically eating lean meat and vegetables only for two weeks then you can incorporate all the other stuff slowly. It's supposed to get rid of all the toxins and give your body a fresh clean slate.
  • melizabird919
    melizabird919 Posts: 29 Member
    Good luck! You can definitely do this. :smile:
  • Bud_
    Bud_ Posts: 116 Member
    Good luck with achieving your goal :)

MFP is a great place to be and can really help on your journey to a new you!
    I started with aiming to lose just over 100lbs and have got there - it can be done taking it one step at a time and enjoying a new healthier approach without getting obsessed. I too started after the doc suggested calorie counting and logging what I consumed.

Good luck - you can do it!! (...and feel free to send me a friend request if you like)
  • tb139
    Good luck! You can definitely do this. :smile:
    Bud_ wrote: »
    Good luck with achieving your goal :)

MFP is a great place to be and can really help on your journey to a new you!
    I started with aiming to lose just over 100lbs and have got there - it can be done taking it one step at a time and enjoying a new healthier approach without getting obsessed. I too started after the doc suggested calorie counting and logging what I consumed.

Good luck - you can do it!! (...and feel free to send me a friend request if you like)
    Jhailey408 wrote: »
    Welcome! I am new here as well. I'm 5'5 and a female and I weigh 232. My goal is to lose 100 pounds. I'm going to do the South Beach diet plus counting calories to kick it off. It's basically eating lean meat and vegetables only for two weeks then you can incorporate all the other stuff slowly. It's supposed to get rid of all the toxins and give your body a fresh clean slate.

Thank you guys for your encouraging words!
  • pickled1974
    pickled1974 Posts: 4 Member
    New here too. Got so much to lose that I don't even want to work it out. I've not got a target weight in mind mine is my health. My backs so sore my hips hurt my knees hurt. I just want to feel like me again. I keep telling myself that I will calorie count and make good choices 'just for today' more manageable I think.
    Good luck with your journey. We can do it just for today
  • 1WJane
    1WJane Posts: 4 Member
    You sound so much like me. Good luck! we can do this.
  • tb139
    New here too. Got so much to lose that I don't even want to work it out. I've not got a target weight in mind mine is my health. My backs so sore my hips hurt my knees hurt. I just want to feel like me again. I keep telling myself that I will calorie count and make good choices 'just for today' more manageable I think.
    Good luck with your journey. We can do it just for today
    1WJane wrote: »
    You sound so much like me. Good luck! we can do this.

Thanks guys! :smile: