Vegetarian high protein low carb meals

kandryski
kandryski Posts: 9 Member
Hello everyone! I'm looking for more variety to add to my diet. I do count macros : 144p/120c/24f so of course I need high protein low carb and fat ideas. I am a vegetarian of 20 years so just be vegetarian or vegan because most of my diet is vegan!!

Replies

• saynotocardio
    saynotocardio Posts: 30 Member
    Have you checked out bodybuilding.com for some great ideas for plant protein. They have some fantastic recipes on that there that taste really good. Obviously if you're vegetarian for 20 years you have some experience. but i would check that out and see they have some variety for you.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Not trying to intrude, but I really don't think you need 144 grams of protein if that's you in your picture. I would be shocked if you needed more than 80
  • kandryski
    Not trying to intrude, but I really don't think you need 144 grams of protein if that's you in your picture. I would be shocked if you needed more than 80
    I have a nutrition coach and he set all my numbers up. And yeah that's me in my photo. Why do you think that is too much?
  • Mallybear2020
    Mallybear2020 Posts: 82 Member
    edited November 2015
    You've been a vegetarian since you were 8? Wa?
    You look perfect in your picture...but maybe try vegan protein powders?
  • kandryski
    You've been a vegetarian since you were 8? Wa?
    You look perfect in your picture...but maybe try vegan protein powders?

Since I was 7, yeah it's been a long time! I already use Herbalife as my protein shake and supplements, but i wanted cut out a shake and use my post workout powder a long with another meal.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    If you like and can handle digesting tofu then make a vegetable stir fry. Or I cut mine in tiny pieces and put it in soup. So delicious has some great vegan yogurts fairly high in protein.
  • meggie_l
    meggie_l Posts: 22 Member
    Definitely try tofu scramble recipe I've had it a couple of times its so good!! You take tofu and scramble it up and cook it in a pan with garlic, tomatoes, spinach, kale, mushrooms... Hope this helps I've been a vegetarian for over a year and recently went vegan
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Plant based proteins typically come with carbs attached, because that's what plants do. If I were you I'd plan every meal with a plant based protein and accept the carbs that naturally come with it.

There's all the beans, peas, and legumes. I'm quite fond of Edamame seed pods.

For something different, try alfalfa seeds, asparagus, pickled lupini, and winged bean.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    You're probably going to be looking at meat v substitutes if you want high protein, low fat - beans tend to have protein but pack fat too. Seitan and soy products like tofu or TVP, possibly quorn products.

Those macros go against the general nutrient advice I usually see from knowledgeable sources.
    The goto numbers are .6-.8 grams protein per pound bodyweight or goal weight if overweight. Around .4 grams fat per pound. Fill the remainder with carbs with some flexibility to hit your calorie goal.
  • MelOnDiet
    MelOnDiet Posts: 2 Member
    I'm vegetarian following a low carb, high fat diet, so my recipes probably wouldn't be any use to you. But if you're cutting carbs you need to use fat for fuel or you'll be tired. Are you trying to lose weight? I've lost 5st in 5 months doing veggie low carb/high fat.
  • kandryski
    senecarr wrote: »
    You're probably going to be looking at meat v substitutes if you want high protein, low fat - beans tend to have protein but pack fat too. Seitan and soy products like tofu or TVP, possibly quorn products.

Those macros go against the general nutrient advice I usually see from knowledgeable sources.
    The goto numbers are .6-.8 grams protein per pound bodyweight or goal weight if overweight. Around .4 grams fat per pound. Fill the remainder with carbs with some flexibility to hit your calorie goal.

I use protein powders already but trying to not use them all the time. I do use meat substitutes already and make a tofu scramble often. My nutrition coach has me on a cutting diet with a 1.2 G protein per pound. I'm an Olympic weight lifter and a crossfit athlete so I need all the protein because I train hard and often. I don't have a calorie go that is not my focus.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Quorn.
  • curlyslim
    curlyslim Posts: 64 Member
    Butternut squash soup with chickpeas. :)
  • caris26
    caris26 Posts: 1 Member
    Are you sure it's not 1.2g protein per lbm?
  • smoaksmom
    smoaksmom Posts: 1 Member
    I'm a vegetarian too. In interested to see if anyone posts any recipes instead of nutrition above. I typically have the easiest time getting protein from soy. I eat edamame, tvp, spi, etc. I don't like eating so much processed food, but I'm trying to keep my macros balanced while managing my calories. I also eat egg whites, but not sure if that is acceptable for your lifestyle. I found a good bread at Target that is higher in protein and lower in carbs called Little Big Bread. It is sprouted whole grain. I also like the taste of Quorn & Gardein plant protein products as opposed to Boca or Morningstar.

Recipes without processed foods:
    Bean chili
    Spinach salad w/ any variant of vegetables & beans
    Rosemary White Bean Soup

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
  • kandryski
    caris26 wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not 1.2g protein per lbm?

Yeah in doing 1.2g protein per pound. I weight 118. I have a nutrition coach I didn't just pull these numbers from my *kitten*
  • ngliana
    ngliana Posts: 1 Member
    Check out NaddMatti's soup it contains 107 calories for two cups . It is delicious and light