Weight loss thru grief

Options
Hi, I am struggling with getting back on track! I had lost about 30 lbs back in June 2014! My daughter passed away June 30, 2014! My world was rocked! I initially lost an additional 10 lbs..... Jan 2015 I joined the gym! It helped for a bit....... Then her year marker hit and I stopped going to gym let my emotions take over and have put the weight back on! I can't get my head in the right place! I live in a twilight zone! Need to find motivating friends or something!

Replies

• aim630
    aim630 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi, I lost my daughter on 2-9-10. My weight has been up and down since then. Sometimes it's hard to even get up off the couch when you are drowning in grief, let alone take positive steps towards your own health. Feel free to add me as a friend. I've been slowly losing weight since January of this year (.5 to 1 lb per week). I don't have all the answers, but I do understand what it's like to lose a child, unfortunately.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I am soooooo sorry about your loss ..... I didn't lose my daughter but I had 4 deaths this year in a 3 month span....lost 2 best friends, my mom and my niece..... I know I struggled and I was in a funk but it helped to stay active on here and talk to my friends ....I finally came to a realization that the 4 people I lost wouldn't want me to give up on myself so I somehow someway got out of my funk and started taking care of myself again .....It will get better but take care of you in the process ...Feel free to add me
  • smallstuff76
    smallstuff76 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Some days are so many ch harder than others! I am so sorry we are in the same circle aim630!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    My advice talk to a professional ASAP. You are still grieving and need to talk to a professional so you can get wrap yourself around this difficult time.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss--I can't even imagine. Best of luck on your journey.
  • sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss, i wish you the best x
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss too. I lost my Dad two years ago December 7. I still think of him all the time - just as I'm sure you think of your daughter. It really threw a wrench into the efforts. Main thing is - we can get back into the swing of things. They remain in our hearts and can inspire us along the way. We can do this!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I am so deeply sorry for your loss.

First of all, I'd definitely suggest easing up on yourself. Grief is such a draining thing to endure - especially day in and day out. By all means, use MFP to calculate your calorie intake and make those small changes bit by bit - as and when you feel ready to. It's fantastic to see you wanting to physically improve yourself but make sure you allow yourself to mentally heal. This process may be testing at times so make sure you have a good support system around you. You can do it.
  • smallstuff76
    smallstuff76 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I just don't know What to do anymore! It's exhausting. Just keep thinking if I feel better physically then hopefully it will help mentally! A very hard ladder to climb especially when you are standing in quicksand!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Grief Counseling? After my Father passed away my Sister and I went to a group that then split up into small groups and all the leaders had been through losses as well. It was an incredible experience, it changed my life. To know others were feeling similar pain and that none of us were alone in it. It's a class across the US, if I remember right it cost $10 for the book and that's the only cost.

I can't recommended it enough, to anyone no matter how long it's been since a loss of a loved one.

Sending warm comforting thoughts xo
  • stargazer0319
    stargazer0319 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I started my journey in April of this year. I increased my water intake to about a gallon a day. I introduced and fell in love with dark leafy greens especially keal and spinach. I began walking and really didn't notice the change in my appearance but I felt it. However; June 22 of this year my sister, my best friend, my everything unexpectedly passed away. Needless to say it's hard to to get motivated enough to stick to a healthy lifestyle change. I'm currently trying to channel grieving in a more positive way through focusing on my health. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to begin again? Or how to stay consistent? Be BLESSED!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    OP: i would highly suggest trying a support group. In my area, there are groups for parents who've lost a child specifically but I think any group would be helpful.
    Give yourself time to grieve. it's natural and necessary, imho

I might suggest doing some easy exercise, like yoga or a walk outside. it can help you find space to feel your emotions. all of them. the sadness and remembrance. and give yourself permission to be happy too when the moment arises. your daughter would want to be happy, I'm sure.